Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
lauranchad03
lauranchad03 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Hi. I am New and I need help with ebook readers!

Hi. I am new to this whole ebook reader stuff. I just started at an online university and found out that a large part of my books will be ebooks.
I think that is awesome because I am all for not killing trees if I don't have too, but I am lost.

I just got my first ebook it is pdf fromat. I need to get a ebook reader, because i don't want to be stuck infront of my computer all the time. And really I would never have the time to be.

So can anyone recommend a good ebook reader that reads pdf and isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg to buy?

Thanks so much in advance!

Laura
lauranchad03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
From what I have heard on the board, the Sony PRS-700 has the best PDF capabilities. It has a touch screen and built in backlight. However, it is the pricier device at $399.

The PRS-505 can also read PDFs and is at a minimum $100 cheaper.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Laura, the problem with PDF files is that they represent a PRINT format and are (in general) not reflowable. So you take a PDF file that is formatted for letter-sized (or A4) paper and try to read it in a 6-inch diagonal screen. The result is pathetic. And, unlike your PC, the PDF reading software in the Sony doesn't support good pan and zoom. The Sony would be fine for PDF files if they are formatted specifically for the small screen. And, if you had the source files, it would be easy to create a PDF that works well on the Sony.

So -- which electronic reader is good for the PDF files of academic information that you're likely to be given? From my research, it appears that the iLliad is the only one that has a large enough screen to handle these PDF files. Or stick with your computer. Or, there is the alternative of paper if you want to take it with you and not lug around a computer.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
If it were me I would get a small tablet or netbook to read my PDF text books on. I would also get the full version of Adobe Acrobat to install on the computer.

No matter how well PDF files are retrofitted to eInk readers, an eInk reader just won't have the flexibility that I'd want to have when working with an electronic textbook. On a computer, with Adobe Acrobat, you can make annotations, highlight passages and bookmark things, and search for words or terms....these are the things that would be most appealing to me if I were still a student and using electronic text books. And you'd have the power of a fully functional computer.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
On a computer, with Adobe Acrobat, you can make annotations, highlight passages and bookmark things, and search for words or terms....these are the things that would be most appealing to me if I were still a student and using electronic text books.
You can do these things on the iRex digital reader 1000 and still have the advantage of eInk.

Also, the forthcomming plastic logic is supposed to have these features too. I so want a device like this... but not willing to pay more than $400. Once they get to that price I am getting one.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You can do these things on the iRex digital reader 1000 and still have the advantage of eInk.

Also, the forthcomming plastic logic is supposed to have these features too. I so want a device like this... but not willing to pay more than $400. Once they get to that price I am getting one.

BOb
Sure you can, eInk is nice, eInk Readers are light and their battery life is generally much better than what one would get on a computer (and does not get so hot either), but at $600 or $700+ the iRex is quite expensive (compared to other eInk Readers). At that pricepoint I would prefer a computer that provided a greater level of functionality. Last Spring, I bought a UMPC for $600 that is a great electronic reader and let's me do so much more than any eInk Reader.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 01-02-2009 at 12:31 AM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Ben0
Retired Field Engineer
Ben0 is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro, Ectaco JBL
The Astak EZReader Pocket Pro ($200.00 approx), reflows PDF Text seamlessly and comes with two applications for reading PDF's and each have their own characteristics.

The Ectaco JetBook Lite ($120.00 approx) shows PDF's in native format allowing you to zoom and pan to read any PDF.
Ben0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Hi Laura,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Sure you can, eInk is nice, eInk Readers are light and their battery life is generally much better than what one would get on a computer (and does not get so hot either), but at $600 or $700+ the iRex is quite expensive (compared to other eInk Readers). At that pricepoint I would prefer a computer that provided a greater level of functionality. Last Spring, I bought a UMPC for $600 that is a great electronic reader and let's me do so much more than any eInk Reader.
+1 to ProfJulie's comments.

I like both my E-ink reader and netbook, but the latter wins hands down for general versatility. I can run a much wider range of programs, both for reading and writing (which can be a consideration when studying), and it's also great for storage and general cataloguing of a wide variety of documents.

The decision is always going to be something of a trade off between size and weight but I'd rather cope with a little more of both than try to have to work on a cramped machine with too many usage restrictions. However, it often comes down to personal preferences and circumstances and some of us fall in love with one solution, while others become firm advocates for another....

jswinden has an interesting thread on the Asus T91MT here (Click the line below - it's a link to the thread):

Netbook Tablet as a Viable eBook Reader Option

Good luck with your choice and with the study.

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hi Laura: For novel reading -- especially curled up in bed -- an ereader is ideal. If you're going to be reading a large number of PDFs, though -- especially if graphs, tabkles, illustrations, contents and index are involved, it's really not viable.

Tablets are expensive, but a small netbook is ideal -- and costs these days about the same as a reader. I use my Samsung for all PDF work -- neat, ultra-portable, and with a huge battery life compared to others on the market.

Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	dragonflyhello.gif
Views:	350
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	48084 Laura, and welcome to the forum.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote