Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
I meant obscure as in something old and forgoten.
Ah, but the thread is looking at "The Most obscure books you have" (emphasis added), not the most obscure books in existence. That puts something of a limit on just how obscure we're likely to get.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I bought and downloaded "A Traveller's Greece: Exploring the History and Culture of Greece," published in 2005. It is a weird mix of guidebook and history book, with things like walk 10 paces and stand under the arch. This is where ________ kissed his wife before sailing to Byzantium. (Not a quote, just making it up as an example)

I think its strangeness will make/makes it obscure, because it will only appeal to us weirdos who read travel guides even when we are not planning a trip. OK, in honesty, we plan a couple of weeks in Greece next year for our 20th anniversary, but for now, I'm just enjoying the guidebooks.

I have a hardback book on my shelf with instructions of how to carve birds out of wood. How's that for mainstream obscure?

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #18
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
ive seend dozens of manual on "finger works" or "working with wood".The weirdest thing ive seen is this book "the sixth day of creation" which starts in a semi-biblical-post pulp-sci-fi sorta way,and then it turns into a machinery/invention manual of some 350 pages.weird.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #19
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Oh good lord, I'm about to lose it. I'm in full rant mode.

<RANT>
Lobolover,

Would you please, for the love of whatever you consider holy, LEARN TO TYPE!? This is a DISCUSSION board. Discussions take place here by the exchange of written words. There are conventions and rules for how to type and write. If you're a reader, which you must be, surely you've seen enough examples of how to punctuate and type correctly to know how to do so. Your failure to do so then is rude and obstinate.

I would love to engage in a thoughtful discussion with you about obscure books, but you're setting the barrier too high by refusing to conform to simple standards of communication.

If the moderators need to chastise me for this attack, so be it, but you really have no excuse for continuing to post such fractured messages. Your space bar and shift key clearly work. USE THEM! You are literally becoming a blight on what is otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable site.

There. I stand by that and will accept the consequences for getting that off my chest. Enough is enough.
</RANT>

That said, probably the most obscure book I own is "One Hundred More Poems from the Japanese", by Kenneth Rexroth.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
If the moderators need to chastise me for this attack, so be it,
I'm afraid I really must chastise you for this attack.

Not for the opinion you've expressed, but for the way you've expressed it.

It's possible to suggest all the things you have, and still be respectful.

If you find it too difficult to deal respectfully with posts that are difficult to read (I understand that lobolover may have some language and/or hardware challenges in making his posts) please avail yourself of the "Ignore" feature of the forum.

Now please, folks, let's keep it civil.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #21
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Not obscure, but rare, I suppose. I have original print of Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I am told it's worth something...

I also have a whole collection from the 1920's of all his collected works.

Last edited by astrodad; 04-29-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added something.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #22
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

taylor-I ask you for the last time to let it go.thats the FOURTH time and It was surely enough.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #23
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Well, you would think it would be enough, and yet:

Quote:
taylor-I ask you for the last time to let it go.thats the FOURTH time and It was surely enough.
No apostrophes, random words capitalized, no space after the period. So purely out of curiosity, not as an attack, why do you insist on this?

Listen, I respect stubborn adherence to principles and even eccentricity, but cannot for the life of me understand what you gain by this behavior.

So, yep, I ranted, was reprimanded by the site administration, and so will say no more, other than to mention that now that we've aired this publicly and you realize how counterproductive your "style" is, you should seriously reflect on the merits of making an effort.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #24
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
carandol-and you have the 68 edition,or as that just borrowed?
Just borrowed! Having finished my dissertation, hopefully I will never have to read it again. I did purchase a copy of a biography of Digby which had one edition in 1952, which I'm hanging onto because it's a good read. You have to admire a character who was alchemist, privateer, duelist, founder member of the Royal Society, discoverer of plant respiration, inventor of the modern wine bottle, Protestant, Catholic, close friend of Charles I, Oliver Cromwell and Charles II, and author of a posthumous cook-book.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #25
Lobolover
Gorosei

I don't HAVE an effort to make,other then refusing your provocation,so as not to get banned.I am asking you NICELY (which wasn't a "random" capitalised word,but a word capitalised for EMPHASIS) ,for the VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY LAST TIME to stop this. Your intolerant bickering only insults and makes a person the less willing to "change" anything (but like I said earlier,I have nothing to change).But because this is not an obscure book,I'll stop talking now.I see the "argument" as ended.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #26
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
I did purchase a copy of a biography of Digby which had one edition in 1952, which I'm hanging onto because it's a good read. You have to admire a character who was alchemist, privateer, duelist, founder member of the Royal Society, discoverer of plant respiration, inventor of the modern wine bottle, Protestant, Catholic, close friend of Charles I, Oliver Cromwell and Charles II, and author of a posthumous cook-book.
This would be Sir Kenelm Digby ? there's a Monty Python sketch in there somewhere, especially with a name like that, i'm sure of it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
Lobolover
Gorosei

also-im going to go through my cupboard,when it's day-I used to carry away several ,even a dozen books each time from a book antiquairy shop,saving some rare pieces,including a "salad" litle book about Nazi asault's on Jew's.Ill find it tommorow.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #28
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I have two volumes of a Sanskrit Dictionary that I purchased when I was a student in India in 1970. For some reason, I keep lugging them around -- they seem sort of otherworldly to me. I only studied Sanskrit for a year anyway, and remember nothing of it.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #29
fifteenjugglers
fifteenjugglers doesn't litterfifteenjugglers doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I have "The Lyre : Fugitive Poetry of the XIXth Century" which dates to 1830 and would be my most obscure.

But the six volume Sixth Edition of Isaac Disraeli's "Curiosities of Literature" from 1834 is my favourite title.

15j
fifteenjugglers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #30
Lobolover
Gorosei

Just found the WERY RARE "Axe from Wandsberg" czech edition,by Arnold Zweig, published in 1949