Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Damaged Kindle

My postal service damaged my Kindle. It was sealed in its original packaging. I placed the box inside a plastic satchel which my postal service use for sending items. It arrived at the destination, satchel in-tact, box squashed and Kindle dented

Does anyone have any idea how Kindle Customer service would deal with this? The fault lies with my postal service however I could possibly argue that the Kindle packaging was insufficient however I don't really want to do that. Do they have options to buy-back damaged units and provide a discount on a replacement?
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazir View Post
My postal service damaged my Kindle. It was sealed in its original packaging. I placed the box inside a plastic satchel which my postal service use for sending items. It arrived at the destination, satchel in-tact, box squashed and Kindle dented

Does anyone have any idea how Kindle Customer service would deal with this? The fault lies with my postal service however I could possibly argue that the Kindle packaging was insufficient however I don't really want to do that. Do they have options to buy-back damaged units and provide a discount on a replacement?
I would say go with making a claim via your postal service if you had insurance, Amazon I would imagine say it was sent at your risk.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I don't believe there is any scheme for returning a damaged from abuse device and getting a discount on a new device. You can ask Kindle CS I guess and see what they say. Worst that happens is that they'll say no.

Arguing that the packaging was insufficient is going to be difficult considering how many Kindles that Amazon have shipped successfully.

Do what captkjaneway said and claim off the postal service you used to send the Kindle. The usual reasons for packages getting squashed is that its at the bottom of some container or truck when they literally dropped a load of other packages on top. If you're unlucky then your package is crushed under many other heavy packages.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Contact Amazon and see what they say.

Hey, they replaced the Kindle of the guy who fell asleep and let it fall and get squished between the mattress and the wall. At least so far, Amazon hasn't been all that picky about assessing blame.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
I called Amazon. They offered a service repair @ $72 which would give me a refurbished 3G unit. I would have to pay postage one way, they would send me a return paid label to return my existing unit.
Interesting to note is that this service is available at any point in time, the Kindle doesn't have to be new or within Warranty. Therefore its basically $72 to replace a damaged unit. A Wi-Fi only version is $53. Good to know for anyone considering whether they should take out extra insurance.
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazir View Post
I called Amazon. They offered a service repair @ $72 which would give me a refurbished 3G unit. I would have to pay postage one way, they would send me a return paid label to return my existing unit.
Interesting to note is that this service is available at any point in time, the Kindle doesn't have to be new or within Warranty. Therefore its basically $72 to replace a damaged unit. A Wi-Fi only version is $53. Good to know for anyone considering whether they should take out extra insurance.
Ahh. Good to know!
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote