Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
sjthom
sjthom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sjthom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sjthom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sjthom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Hanvon N516
Hanvon N516 - Table of Contents help

Hi all - proud new owner of a Hanvon N516 here

I've downloaded a couple of EPUB books and although they load onto the device and open fine, there doesn't seem to be any way of using the chapter links in the table of contents. All I can do is go through the book a page (or 10 pages) at a time, which is obviously a bit limiting. It would be nice to be able to jump by chapter too.

Is this possible on my reader? It's a great piece of kit otherwise.
sjthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
Hi, in some epubs, the table of contens appear like a menu: each chapter is linked to the number on the left side of the ebook reader. I don't know if in those epubs you have is the same.
If the chapter link is hyperlink, then I don't know how to use it.

(sorry about my english, is my second language)
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If the TOC has a number on the left side then you can follow the link by hitting the number on the device keys. In EPub the TOC is in a separate file in the ePUB container. It is not part of the document. There is usually a command or menu item in the reader to bring up the TOC and view it. Once it is on the screen then there should be a way to select the entry and go to that place in the file. How this is done varies from one reader to another but should be in the manual that accompanies the reading device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
sjthom
sjthom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sjthom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sjthom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sjthom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Many thanks for your comments.

Unfortunately the manual makes no reference to TOC navigation and the number buttons down the side of the device only jump to pages 1-9. It doesn't look like TOC navigation is supported

Another possibility is switching to Open Inkpot but as this carries its own risks I think I'll stay with things as they are for now.

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Generally a TOC display only includes the number of lines that can be jumped to from numbers. The TOC page can have multiple pages to get to higher chapter numbers. I would be surprised in Hanvon did not have this. They have been supporting ePUB for a while now. You might want to contact their support.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
This Weekend, I'll try to put here a photo of my reader with an epub with TOC, hope this will help you.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
sjthom

Thanks Anabelee, that would be very interesting.

I tried emailing Hanvon technical support but they didn't reply
Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
danan
danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3
The Hanvon I have been given supports TOCs! When I open an epub file the first thing it shows is the TOC. You can choose to select a chapter or you can start from the beginning. I don't know which version of the Hanvon I have -- it was given to me as a present -- could you perhaps be a bit more specific?
danan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
sjthom

Hi Danan - the model I have is the N516. This is written on the back of the unit. The product page is here:

http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/eb...ucts-N516.html

I'd be interested to hear which buttons you press to select TOCs. If yours has a touchscreen then I'm afraid you have a different model!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
sjthom

Just found out that the buttons 0-9 down the left hand side of the unit can be used in combination to jump to pages numbered higher than 9. It's in the manual but not very well described.

Not a bad little reader, all things considered.