Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
Calibre not detecting my new WiFi Kobo

I'm really hoping someone can help me solve this.
I've been using Calibre (and love it!) with my original Kobo on a Windows 7 64 bit computer to manage my bought books and personal text files.

I bought a new WiFi Kobo and Calibre isn't seeing it.
I updated to the latest version 0.7.23 in case that was the problem but no joy.
I will be so depressed if I can't use Calibre!

I know my way around a computer to operate it but I know nothing about code however I followed the instructions re running debug device detection in order to post the results here and hope for help.

With KOBO plugged in (and seen by Windows):

Version: 0.7.23
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a36&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a39&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a37&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a38&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a34&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a35&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3a3c&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3a3a&rev0000',
u'usb\\vid_03f0&pid_6004&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_0409&pid_005a&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_0424&pid_2228&rev_0539',
u'usb\\vid_0424&pid_2512&rev_0000',
u'usb\\vid_0424&pid_2602&rev_0000',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_0a12&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_0a12&rev_0100&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_0a12&rev_0100&mi_03',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c512&rev_3007',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c512&rev_3007&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c512&rev_3007&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_04b8&pid_0007&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_051d&pid_0002&rev_0106',
u'usb\\vid_056a&pid_00b9&rev_0104',
u'usb\\vid_05e3&pid_0606&rev_0702']
Drives detected:
Available plugins: ALEX ANDROID AVANT AZBOOKA BLACKBERRY BOOQ BOOX COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK
E52 E71X EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE ELONEX ESLICK
FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5 ILIAD INVESBOOK
IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA ITUNES JETBOOK
JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KOBO KOGAN MENTOR MIBUK N516
N770 N810 NEWSMY NOOK NUUT2 PALMPRE PDNOVEL PDNOVEL_KOBO POCKETBOOK301
POCKETBOOK360 PRS505 README S60 SHINEBOOK SNE SOVOS SPECTRA SWEEX
TECLAST_K3 THEBOOK VELOCITYMICRO

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None

Then With Kobo disconnected:

Version: 0.7.23
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a36&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a39&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a37&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a38&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a34&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid3a35&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3a3c&rev0000',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3a3a&rev0000',
u'usb\\vid_03f0&pid_6004&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_0409&pid_005a&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_0424&pid_2228&rev_0539',
u'usb\\vid_0424&pid_2512&rev_0000',
u'usb\\vid_0424&pid_2602&rev_0000',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_0a12&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_0a12&rev_0100&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_0a12&rev_0100&mi_03',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c512&rev_3007',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c512&rev_3007&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c512&rev_3007&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_04b8&pid_0007&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_051d&pid_0002&rev_0106',
u'usb\\vid_056a&pid_00b9&rev_0104',
u'usb\\vid_05e3&pid_0606&rev_0702']
Drives detected:
Available plugins: ALEX ANDROID AVANT AZBOOKA BLACKBERRY BOOQ BOOX COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK
E52 E71X EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE ELONEX ESLICK
FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5 ILIAD INVESBOOK
IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA ITUNES JETBOOK
JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KOBO KOGAN MENTOR MIBUK N516
N770 N810 NEWSMY NOOK NUUT2 PALMPRE PDNOVEL PDNOVEL_KOBO POCKETBOOK301
POCKETBOOK360 PRS505 README S60 SHINEBOOK SNE SOVOS SPECTRA SWEEX
TECLAST_K3 THEBOOK VELOCITYMICRO
Looking for devices...
Devices possibly connected: None

I'd be grateful for any help anyone can give me but remember code is not my thing.

Joyful (not so much right now)
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
I bought a new WiFi Kobo and Calibre isn't seeing it.
I updated to the latest version 0.7.23 in case that was the problem but no joy.
I will be so depressed if I can't use Calibre!
Do you see it as a USB drive in Windows Explorer? What drive letter does it show for your device?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Yes, Windows sees it as " KOBOeReader (L)".
(I use Directory Opus as a Windows Explorer replacement.) I can open it and look in the 3 folders that it came with (.adobe-digital-editions, kobo and Desktop Installers).

If it helps , my main hard drive has 2 partitions - C (for the OS) and G.
I have 2 internal drives, D and F and 2 hot-swapable drives H and K.

Interesting, but I'm not sure it's significant, that when I plug this Kobo in I get a message on the eReader's screen with 2 choices : Keep Reading or Manage Library. (The original Kobo was not accessible when plugged in and you couldn't read any content.)
If I choose neither, nothing happens and Windows does not see the device.
If I choose Keep Reading the Kobo goes to a book that I'm reading and Windows does not see the device.
If I choose Manage Library, Windows does see the device but Calibre does not.

Joyful
Old 10-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I choose Manage Library, Windows does see the device but Calibre does not.
See what happens when you do the following. Exit calibre (ctrl-q), then connect the Kobo, choose Manage Library, then start calibre.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
Joyful
Connoisseur

~sigh~, the same thing happens.
Windows sees it, Calibre does not.

Joyful
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
Joyful
Connoisseur

This is so frustrating but I appreciate you trying to help me, dwanthny!!

Joyful
Old 10-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
This is so frustrating but I appreciate you trying to help me, dwanthny!!
Two items.
1. How long do you wait for calibre to see it?
2. Try using the connect to folder feature as an interim solution. If Windows Explorer sees the device then the Connect to folder feature should work.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:14 AM   #8
Joyful
Connoisseur

I'm waiting a good amount of time because I learned from my older Kobo that it takes a while for Calibre to see it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the connect to folder feature.
Do you mean dragging and dropping my epubs into my Kobo folder? I've just done that and it works but the metadata hasn't been applied (although I copied the opf file as well and isn't that the metadata file created within Calibre?)
No worries, at least I can get my own files to read onto the Kobo but I sure miss Calibre.

Last edited by Joyful; 10-17-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by the connect to folder feature.
On the top row of calibre there is a connect/share button (see attached). This allows you to connect to any folder you can browse to via windows explorer and that folder is treated as a device. Once connected you use Send to Device to send the book to the folder. Simply point to the folder on the kobo where you want the books to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connect2folder.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	59878  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-17-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
Joyful
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Simply point to the folder on the kobo where you want the books to go.
Do I choose one of the folders already in there or make my own or does it matter?

Joyful
Old 10-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Do I choose one of the folders already in there or make my own or does it matter?
Whatever folder the kobo uses for its ebooks.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #12
Joyful
Connoisseur

Difficult to tell for sure but I assume that's the folder called .kobo\kepub although the names of the files in there are not recognizable...just a series of letters and numbers.
Using drag and drop I added 2 of my text files just as loose files , in no folder and they show up.
~sigh~ Why did this have to be so difficult. I didn't have any trouble with my other Kobo.
Thanks, dwanthny, for your patience with me.

Joyful
Old 10-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Difficult to tell for sure but I assume that's the folder called .kobo\kepub
Looking in the user manual I think you found the folder for the built in books. For now just create a folder on your ereader called books and use the connect to folder to send books to that folder.

I found a thread in the Kobo forum discussing this device. Ask your questions there to clarify the situation.

Hopefully someone will drop by with a smoother solution for you.

Good Luck.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #14
billthereader
billthereader began at the beginning.

Yeah, I can confirm that Calibre doesn't see the new Kobo as a device (yet).

A workaround is after processing the file to Epub in Calibre, choose "save to disk" and point it to the Kobo reader. It saves the files to a folder in the root directory of the KOBO and does basically the same thing as what Calibre would.

Eject the device (using windows USB safe remove), unplug it from the computer and the Kobo will update and show your new addition in the "I'm Reading" section.

btw.. I save all my processed files to a monthly folder and normally just drag and drop the saved folders into the Kobo or onto an SD card. One of the best features of the Kobo is how quickly you can add or remove files since added content is just folders on the root directory of the device.
billthereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:23 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by billthereader View Post
A workaround is after processing the file to Epub in Calibre, choose "save to disk" and point it to the Kobo reader. It saves the files to a folder in the root directory of the KOBO and does basically the same thing as what Calibre would.
Save to disk works well, but the Connect to folder option will treat the folder as a device and show you what books are on the device.