Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 06-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
von Harbou, Thea: Metropolis. v1. Jun 07

I created this LRF file originally for myself, as I've been archiving my own material (don't ask!)... so I thought I'd make it available for the Reader here. (Let me know if any other formats would be appreciated.)

Metropolis is the novel written by Thea von Harbou for her husband, moviemaker Fritz Lang... and is therefore the text from which the groundbreaking 1926 movie is based. Although the movie does not survive intact, the book provides an excellent source of original material, and shows the incredible depth of the original story.

The story depicts the inevitable clash between the elite, living in their ivory towers, and the slavish workers who run the machines of the city. It is also a power struggle between the Master of the city, Joh Frederson, his idealistic son, Freder, and the genius scientist Rotwang who lost his love to Joh Frederson. Caught in the middle is Maria, the girl who captures Freder's interest in the workers' plight, and who unwittingly starts a revolution that may destroy the great Metropolis!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
vonderful, vonderful, vonderful
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Excellent - thanks, Steve. I must admit that I didn't even know that there was a book! Look forward to reading this one very much.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
What do you mean the "movie doesn't survive intact?" I've seen it in a theater and it's for sale all over the place. what's not intact about it?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
What do you mean the "movie doesn't survive intact?" I've seen it in a theater and it's for sale all over the place. what's not intact about it?
What you see today is a patch-up of many distribution copies of the film. Think of them as you would Plato's shadow world. The original master print was lost many years ago. When single frames are missing they will often print a new frame to go between the surviving ones that carries the images of both the before and after frame. Some modern restoration methods have been employed on some films to recreate the missing frames.

Yes, it is a great film as it survives today. What we don't know is how many scenes are completely missing as many distributors of that period would re-edit a film and remove parts they did not like or that they thought might offend local, regional, or national authorities.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Ah, now I understand -- but while there may be scenes missing, the story comes through loud and clear.

Thanks for the clarification.

And thanks to Steve Jordan for making the book available!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No prob!

For those who are interested, Kino video carries the latest restoration of the film, which includes (for the first time) the original score, discovered and re-orchestrated for the film! The DVD also has some great extras, including a few photos from scenes that have never been recovered (a great deal of the film is presumed absolutely lost, not just single frames, but entire scenes and major story and character detail), and details about the computer-assisted restoration process. I'd recommend it to every film buff, sci-fi fan or not.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-08-2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Addition of cover
Old 06-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Due to popular demand, I'm attaching the cover to this thread.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Due to popular demand, I'm attaching the cover to this thread.
Why not redo the book and make that the cover if it's not already?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not redo the book and make that the cover if it's not already?
The cover was already there, just not in color.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

...And considering the cover design, if you don't have it in color, you're not missing much!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

One more addition: For those interested in a bit more of the backstory of the movie Metropolis, I have updated my site with a page devoted to the film and its tumultuous history.

Not a definitive text, to be sure, but a good primer for anyone looking for more about the film.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 11-12-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
CaptainIncognito
CaptainIncognito began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
I think I love you... many thanks for this upload!

Just for film buffs, I believe that they recently discovered the mising 25% of the footage and are restoring as we speak.
CaptainIncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Excellent - thanks, Steve. I must admit that I didn't even know that there was a book! Look forward to reading this one very much.

(Harry, please disregard my taking of your quote. I made mistake.)

There's also the one I assembled, but Steve was the first to make this available.
I made this available sometime around when I first joined MobileRead. Here's the link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...k&ltr=V&page=7

Don

Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Thea Von Harbou also wrote "A Rocket to the Moon (1930)". Done as a UFA movie, also directed by Fritz Lang. I can't produce a e-book copy due to US copyright restrictions...(Although I have it in my library.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote