Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
Move book to new library

My goal: Once I Have a book in my big library organized and tagged as I want it I want to move it to another library that will not be changed, and that I will sync with my Kindle.

What is the most effective way of moving a book to a new library. I see copy to new library, then I will have to delete from old. Is this the best way?

Any suggestions that may help me achieve my goal in a different way would be appreciated. I don't NEED 2 libraries, but that was the best way I thought to do it, I'm new to Calibre.

thanks.
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
My goal: Once I Have a book in my big library organized and tagged as I want it I want to move it to another library that will not be changed, and that I will sync with my Kindle.

What is the most effective way of moving a book to a new library. I see copy to new library, then I will have to delete from old. Is this the best way?

Any suggestions that may help me achieve my goal in a different way would be appreciated. I don't NEED 2 libraries, but that was the best way I thought to do it, I'm new to Calibre.

thanks.
There is a sub-menu on 'copy to library'
The second choice includes the delete.

there is a tweak : (# Control how tags are applied when copying books to another library)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Copying to a new library does not delete the book from the old library unless you choose that option. I too often work in one library then copy to my final library when the book is finished to my liking. I never delete the book from my working library.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
heyyouguys
heyyouguys began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I have a similar setup in where i usually use my laptop to convert when i have time then I want to move to my PC, but when i drop the files in the directory, they don't show up in calibre. Where is the copy to library function located (as it sounds what i am looking for)?

thanks in advance
heyyouguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyouguys View Post
Where is the copy to library function located (as it sounds what i am looking for)?
Drop down arrow to the right of the Library icon at the top or right click on a book and choose Copy to library.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
heyyouguys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Drop down arrow to the right of the Library icon at the top or right click on a book and choose Copy to library.
OK you are talking about the 'add books' button and arrow to right of it, correct?

If so there are three choices:

Add books from a single directory

Add books from directories, including sub-directories (one book per directory, assumes every ebook is same in a different file format)

Add books from directories, including sub directories (multiple books per directory, assumses every ebook file is a different book)

so what do i choose to import folders of authors with the folder of the book inside that has the ebooks that my laptop has already cleaned up, correct metadata, etc... ?

I ask this as i have tried but all the metadata seems to dissapear along with the cover.jpg etc..

thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
OK you are talking about the 'add books' button and arrow to right of it, correct?
No. I'm not talking about adding books.

You didn't ask about adding books you asked about Copy to library (see attached). Which allows you to switch to an alternate library or just copy books to that alternate library. Which BTW this thread is about.

If you need other advice you should have started a new thread with a request for such info.

If one session of calibre cannot access both library locations then use the Save to Disk feature to export the books out of one library.

Before using the Save to Disk feature Go to Preferences - Saving books to disk and ensure that the following are checked: Save cover separately - Update metadata in saved copy - Save metadata in OPF file.

Now select the books you wish to export and use the Save to disk feature to save them in a particular directory.

Then in the other library use the add books feature to import those books from the directory you previously Saved to disk.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	copytolibrarymenu.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	67165   Click image for larger version

Name:	copytolibrarymenu2.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	67166  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-23-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
heyyouguys

Firstly, I want to apologize, sorry for hijacking thread. It was not my intention. Lack of knowledge caused this.

Secondly, thank u for helping me anyways. If I have any more questions, I will start a new thread.

Thank you for helping.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 AM   #9
iridius
Connoisseur

Thanks for the advice guys.

Dwanthny - I don't see an option to copy to another library when I click the "Drop down arrow to the right of the Library icon at the top" I see:
Switch Create Library
Quick Switch
Rename Library
Delete Library
Pick a random books
Calibre Collection (on Kindle) [My 2nd Library's Name]
Library Maintenance

What am I missing?

I do see it when I "right click on a book and choose Copy to library. "

Thanks, I don't know how I missed the Copy & Delete = Move, I must be forgetting how to read in my old age.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Secondly, thank u for helping me anyways. If I have any more questions, I will start a new thread.
We always welcome folks asking questions.

Quote:
Dwanthny - I don't see an option to copy to another library when I click the "Drop down arrow to the right of the Library icon at the top" I see:
Switch Create Library
Quick Switch
Rename Library
Delete Library
Pick a random books
Calibre Collection (on Kindle) [My 2nd Library's Name]
Library Maintenance

What am I missing?
You're not missing anything this menu is for creating a second library or switching to a second library. I wasn't clear in my wording.

Quote:
do see it when I "right click on a book and choose Copy to library. "
This is where you actually copy the books from one library to the second library.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-23-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #11
iridius
Connoisseur

cool, thanks, don't sweat your wording, this is the most responsive free forum I've ever seen. Thanks for all the help and your time.