Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
WillRockwell
WillRockwell began at the beginning.

Device: Nook color
How to navigate PDF files?

the first file I loaded in my new Nook Color was a 130 page script in PDF format. I don't see how to navigate the file other than page by page. How would I get to the middle, or scan through the pages quickly?
BTW, the Nook sitting on a table looks an awful lot like a large coaster, I hope I don't accidentally set a drink on it.
WillRockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There are only two ways to navigate PDF on the nook stock. Page swipe and goto. The Nook reader has the ability to use bookmarks to navigate.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
WillRockwell

Thanks.

Last edited by WillRockwell; 01-19-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
zorzal
zorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it iszorzal knows what time it is

Device: Kindle2, NookColor, iTouch, BlackBerry
PDF - How to

move your finger up or down (not left or right).
zorzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you where inclined to root your device. You could install a PDF reader app that would allow for a much faster navigation. They also have thumbnail views so you can jump to a page you reconize.

ezPDF has two modes of thumbnail view. One that scrolls at the bottom of the page. And a Thumbnail view of the whole PDF.

repliGo Only has the scrolling thumbnail view. However repliGo renders the pages much much faster than the other PDF readers and also has the ability to annotate.

=X=
Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
WillRockwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
If you where inclined to root your device. You could install a PDF reader app that would allow for a much faster navigation. They also have thumbnail views so you can jump to a page you reconize.

ezPDF has two modes of thumbnail view. One that scrolls at the bottom of the page. And a Thumbnail view of the whole PDF.

repliGo Only has the scrolling thumbnail view. However repliGo renders the pages much much faster than the other PDF readers and also has the ability to annotate.

=X=
is there a trick to installing apps like that?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard

Yes it's done by doing what's called "rooting" your device. This is essentially removing the security locks placed by b&n on the nook.

Once the device is rooted you will be able to install any app you wish.

The process doesn't take long and i quite easy, some folks worry that the act voids the warranty
Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
WillRockwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes it's done by doing what's called "rooting" your device. This is essentially removing the security locks placed by b&n on the nook.

Once the device is rooted you will be able to install any app you wish.

The process doesn't take long and i quite easy, some folks worry that the act voids the warranty
I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming software upgrade addresses many of the issues solved by rooting. I think I'll wait a bit before replacing the operating system of a brand new device.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I would like for B&N to add thumbnail views like their magazine viewer has. It wasn't intuitive to me that you needed to swipe up/down either. Also, it is slow to refresh pages. I think that the stock PDF viewer is very limited. There are many improvements that B&N could make.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote