Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
kykboy
kykboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Unhappy Trouble downloading from KoboBooks

Hi People,

I wasn't sure where to stick this topic, but since I am using the Sony PRS-300...

I've purchased a book from Kobo very recently, and am not able to download it on either my Mac or my PC...

On the Mac, it brings me to a new webpage, which times out and tells me the page is 'not responding'. On the PC, I get a little bit further with the Kobo link actually asking me to "Open, Save or Quit". I 'open' this link, which triggers my Adobe Digital Editions, but this quits after about 30 seconds with "Network Error -441".

I've attempted this on two books (second being cheaper to test that the original book wasn't faultly). Both with the same issues.

I contacted Kobo Support, but I was given the 'copy and paste' from the FAQ's. I responded that I STILL had the same problem, but no response...been about 10 days now.

Anyone had/have this issue? Were you able to resolve it? Can you offer some advice?

Mike
kykboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Have you previously had success purchasing a book and having it open in ADE or is this the first time?

You can attempt to save the file. On a PC it will save to My Documents\Digital Editions (I think). Check to see what the file type is, .acsm or .epub. If it is .epub then you can manually add it to ADE or Sony Reader software.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
kykboy
kykboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
This was my first time downloading from Kobo. And with your advice, I was able to download it with my PC (which is, unfortunately, not my primary laptop).

When given the option to save (.acsm), I saved it to the desktop, then opened the link with ADE (Sony Library was the default for opening this, and I still got the Network -441 error). But when the link was opened with ADE, it worked fine, and I have the book I wanted.

Now, if I could get this to work with my MacBook Pro....?

Thanks again.

Mike
kykboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I'm glad it finally worked for you but obviously that is not the intended way.

I wonder if some other program on your computer is blocking it from being opened directly from Kobo.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Hi kykboy,
I work for Kobo and post on here from time to time.

I think grooks is likely on the money with this. We run a separate server that hosts our ePub downloads that uses (to get a little technical) a non-traditional port (8080 instead of 80). It is possible that your computer or your router or your company has a firewall that is preventing access.

We've seen this problem from a few customers and are working to fix it. If you continue to have problems and can't resolve it, feel free to contact our customer service team at help@kobobooks.com who would be happy to credit you for your purchase if you can't get your book.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Jordan Christensen
Product Manager, Kobo Inc
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When Kobo was Shortcovers, there was a sort by release date. Is that possible to add back in to Kobo? Also date publiched would be good. Not the eBook publish date but the original date of publish if different.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Hi Jon,
Love the avatars - do you design them by hand or is there some penguin avatar generating software out there?

I'm not sure why we removed that feature when we did the switch over - there was likely a good reason, but nothing jumps to mind.

Let me talk to our web team and see what we can do. I can't promise a quick turn around as we have some pretty big features on the go right now, but I'll see what I can do.

Jordan Christensen
Product Manager, Kobo
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Hi Jon,
Love the avatars - do you design them by hand or is there some penguin avatar generating software out there?
I just browse the net and find them. I don't design my own.

Quote:
I'm not sure why we removed that feature when we did the switch over - there was likely a good reason, but nothing jumps to mind.

Let me talk to our web team and see what we can do. I can't promise a quick turn around as we have some pretty big features on the go right now, but I'll see what I can do.

Jordan Christensen
Product Manager, Kobo
Thanks. That would be really nice. And as long as you are at it, abut the listings.. they only go as far as 5 pages. Can't we have them go longer then that?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
bossfan2000
Connoisseur
bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iPhone 6+, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When Kobo was Shortcovers, there was a sort by release date. Is that possible to add back in to Kobo?
I emailed this question to Kobo customer service a couple of days ago, but never got an answer. I'll keep my fingers crossed they add it back, because I really miss it. And Kobo is turning into my primary ebook store.
bossfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kykboy View Post
Now, if I could get this to work with my MacBook Pro....?

Thanks again.

Mike
Are you running the firewall on your Mac or maybe one on your router?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
Mai
Mai began at the beginning.

Device: PSR-600
sorry to hear that, I feel your pain since I'm going through the same problem and it's annoying. because the costumer service gave me the same answer, I'm still looking for a solution.
Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
A number of people have experienced this with Kobo and other ebookstores when they have the Sony software as the default epub downloaded.
If you restore the file type association for .acsm files to Adobe DE the problem goes away.
To avoid problems you should only use Sony Software to download Sony epub titles and Adobe DE for all other stores.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:51 AM   #13
Mai
Mai began at the beginning.

Device: PSR-600
the problem I can't get to the files :'( the DL links die on me. I always get :" web page is not fond 404"
Mai is offline   Reply With Quote