Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
randomyzed
randomyzed began at the beginning.

Device: none
Text Search is Important

Hey thar
I'm in the market for a reader, and the ability to search text within an ebook is of great importance to me. It would be a BONUS if it could search ACROSS my library, as well.
I am totally comfortable with hacking / installing new firmware / all that stuff, so I dont necessarily need this functionality direct from the manufacturer (i'm looking at you, OpenInkpot).
What should I get / do?
Thanks for the help!
Alex Davis

Last edited by randomyzed; 06-22-2009 at 01:40 PM.
randomyzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The only reader that can search across all its ebooks is the Kindle. The Kindle 1 and 2 don't support PDF directly (they get converted to MOBI off-line), but that has the advantage that the converted PDFs are included in the search. The larger Kindle DX supports PDFs natively, but their text is not included in the device-wide search.

So far as I know, most devices support search within the current ebook. OpenInkPot (FBReader) certainly does, but not for PDFs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
The jetBook does search within an ebook. I don't think it will search all ebooks at once.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote