Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
cuffie
cuffie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Navigating pages on Kindle

My name is Cuffie. I confess to addiction to Kindle for the past 60 days. What a Joy. However, I am attempting to research several books but cannot navigate to the pages easily. I have attempted to estimate how many dots equal a Kindle page, but that is not working.

How do I go to page 65 (for example) of a book that lacks table of contents?

Hope springs eternal!

cuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
A few suggestions: if you know what text you're looking for, search for a word or short phrase.

Set a bookmark or make a note on important pages.

Use Alt + Next Page to turn through groups of pages (about 5% or so of the book) at a time.

Use "Menu/Go to location" to find the end location, allowing for better estimates. For example, if you're looking for page 200 of a 400 page book, and the last location is number 4000, location 2000 should at least be close.

Hope this helps.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The concept of a "page" does not easily apply to electronic readers. If you increase or decrease the base font, then the number of "pages" changes accordingly. The Kindle uses location numbers rather than pages, since these are consistent, regardless of the size of the font you are using.

In the book that I am reading -- Fortune and Fate by Sharon Shinn -- at font size 2 I'm currently on a logical page that spans locations 2873-2883. When I click the next page button, the logical page spans locations 2883-2891. The next "page" is 2891-2900.

By moving back and forth a bit, I find that the number of locations per page varies from 7 to 10. There are more locations on the pages with more paragraph breaks and fewer locations on the pages with only one paragraph break. If I use an average of 8 locations per logical page, then I could advance 20 or 30 pages back or forward by doing a little bit of math and then using the Go To Location function.

But, what I want to know is how did you decide that you need to go to "page 65"? If you're trying to find the place in the book that is equivalent to page 65 in the print edition (and by the way, the layout varies even in print editions), then it's going to be very difficult.

Use the bookmark function to mark locations that you want to return to later.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
By moving back and forth a bit, I find that the number of locations per page varies from 7 to 10. There are more locations on the pages with more paragraph breaks and fewer locations on the pages with only one paragraph break.
I think locations are actually words (and maybe a few other non-visible things are counted). The nice think about locations are they they are the same no matter what font size you are on. So, if we have the same ebook file I can give you a location when I am reading at size 2 and you will get to the same place with that location even if you are on font 4 for example.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote