Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
merging books in two copies of Calibre

I have Calibre on both my home and work computers. I have different sets of books on each installation. Is there a way to merge or sync them so I have the same books on both installations?

Thanks in advance.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
I have Calibre on both my home and work computers. I have different sets of books on each installation. Is there a way to merge or sync them so I have the same books on both installations?

Thanks in advance.
you could try dropbox (getdropbox.com)... but you would only be able to use one copy at a time. I don't think calibre has anytype of filewatcher which looks for changes in the data. As a bonus all your ebooks would be backed up.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Is it possible just to copy the books on one installation onto a flash drive and "add" them to the other installation? Would it mess up the meta-information so I would have to re-do it all?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is it possible just to copy the books on one installation onto a flash drive and "add" them to the other installation? Would it mess up the meta-information so I would have to re-do it all?
I think that is possible. But a PITA. You would need to use the "Save to disk" option on one PC then add them in the other. This should preserve the metadata.

BOb
Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
daesdaemar
Addict

Maybe kovidgoyal will be along with a suggestion that might not be a PITA...
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not really, you have to save to disk and the add books recursively. That should preserve all your metadata.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Not really, you have to save to disk and the add books recursively. That should preserve all your metadata.
That's the way I'll do it then. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's the way I'll do it then. Thanks.
Give dropbox a try. It is free and very easy to set up. I use it to sync my roboform password files between two pcs... and it is seamless.

BOb
Old 12-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I use dropbox for my books / calibre and all is working fine. I don't worry about loading two copies at once as I am never using more then one computer at a time.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Give dropbox a try. It is free and very easy to set up. I use it to sync my roboform password files between two pcs... and it is seamless.

BOb
I'll have a look at it...