Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #46
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've never used it. I'd still rather have it available.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #47
AditiTyagi
AditiTyagi began at the beginning.

Device: none
text-to-speech

Personally, I would not give much importance to this.
AditiTyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 03:58 AM   #48
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Disallowing TTS by Authors and publishers is just the tip of the iceberg.

TTS is not a 'performance' (at least until it can do emotions as well as pronunciation). It is just another OUTPUT setting. Color, font size, font face... Voice.

I see this as just a further attempt to bolster sales of additional media. Like DRM, this is just another ploy to restrict a Purchaser from enjoying their media, when and wherever they please.
^This.
I don't use that feature myself; but I think you are right here.
Putting extra effort into blocking features this way is, what is called an anti feature and already known from hard- and software markets.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #49
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I've never used it. I'd still rather have it available.
I agree, but I'm not sure it *has* to be available on an e-ink reader. Tablets are by necessity of viewing movies and video content equipped with speakers, there's no problem getting text-to-speech, more than one reading app offers it.

Whereas there is less need for speakers and headphone jacks on the e-ink reader. They add weight and cost. So I can see why Amazon is no longer incorporating it on e-ink. They probably figure those who need the feature will go the tablet route OR already have it via a smartphone. On e-ink, most of the other manufacturers have not had the text-to-speech feature in the first place. And most other manufacturers are also dropping or have already dropped audio features from their e-ink devices.

If it's needed, it's about as easy to find a cheap tablet these days as it is to find a cheap e-ink device. If someone needs a lighter weight device, then phones and media players can take up the slack.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #50
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I don't have any personal need for it. If I ever get seriously vision impaired it would become life-line to me, though perhaps I would enjoy true recorded-voice audible books more.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #51
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Thanks to this thread btw. It got me to checkout TTS on my Kindle keyboard where i founf the volume had been dialled right down and on my Kindle Fire where I needed the latest instructions.

After an eye operation last year I read an entire novel with TTS and soon got used to the quirk. Since it isn't available as an audiobook it was Hobson's choice - TTS or nothing.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I like having TTS, and was disappointed that the feature got dropped from the Paperwhite (especially as it was correlated with the storage reduction). It was serviceable enough on previous models, I can't say that everyone can get used to it but I did.

Ivona has much better quality voice synthesis and I use it with reading apps on my Android tablet. The Fire may use Ivona, but I don't think you can install additional voices (male/female, other languages or inflections of English) and that's one reason I prefer stock Android.

The Kindle iOS app has a very good VoiceOver implementation and I use that from time to time also. It is not really TTS, but rather a screen reader, so you cannot lock the screen and have it keep reading, and there are little noises that tell you the page is turning etc.

But I find that listening to audiobooks, having someone read to you, or listening to TTS is a skill. You have to develop a capacity of attention with it before you can really appreciate or enjoy it fully.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-29-2013 at 04:37 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #53
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Important to some family members. I don't see Scott Brick being scheduled to read 101 Bass Fishing Tips any time soon. I agree with a previous poster that any listening requires some skill no matter what the source.

You can sometimes circumvent the 'disallowed' text to speech by removing DRM and reloading into the device. Publishers who think that TTS competes with audiobooks really need a kick in the head.

Last edited by Tarana; 08-29-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #54
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Publishers who think that TTS competes with audiobooks really need a kick in the head.
Likewise, publishers who think that DRM prevents piracy need a kick in the head.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #55
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
It's good that you've found TTS to be useful.

For me, it's just aggravating. Mispronounced words. Poor punctuation flow. Just painful. If my eyesight got so poor that I could no longer read, I'd be looking into Books for the Blind (a lifesaver for my Mom when she lost her sight), LibraVox and Audible.
I sometimes use TTS (on my computer, not on my ereader) to review my writing, because I often hear problems in the text that I haven't seen. When I first started it was very aggravating - I write fantasy and the mispronounced words problem was a significant distraction. The software I use now allows me to define pronunciation for words, and this made a big difference. Yes, punctuation flow is sometimes still off, but most of the time it's not unbearable (the software and voices you use do make a big difference).

I haven't checked out epub v3 in any detail, but it seems to me that ebooks could be written to supply custom pronunciation for TTS in their metadata (assuming they can agree on a standard), and writers could easily supply such data - and so make TTS a viable option for almost any book. Not that this is likely to happen any time soon, I suppose, but it would be a way of making many more book available to those that need or want audio.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #56
Nussknacker
Nussknacker began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
TTS is not necessary for reading. If you're using TTS, you're actually not reading.
That is a realy imprudent statement. The devices are not only made for one specific use. If you don't want to use text-to-speech, well, don't use it but this won't make it less valuable.
I really enjoy reading and alternately listening text-to-speech, while I'm working. Bad pronouncment don't bother me, I'm intelligent enough to know what is ment.
Nussknacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #57
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Won't use it, don't want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nussknacker View Post
If you don't want to use text-to-speech, well, don't use it but this won't make it less valuable.
It makes the device more expensive. This stuff is not spoken by tiny little men inside your Reader, it's software and hardware that costs money.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #58
Nussknacker

In fact readers allso use other audio stuf the hardware won't be more expensive. With this argument you could allso say "why wireless, its less expensive just with USB", or why a reader, buy used books thats much cheaper.
There is no point in saying "I don't use it so it shouldn't be integrated" because this is a very egocentric view. Some use it others not and if it is too expensive search one that fits to your needs and your wallet.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #59
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Question: How important is text-to-speech capability to you?
Answer: #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nussknacker View Post
There is no point in saying "I don't use it so it shouldn't be integrated" because this is a very egocentric view.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #60
Nussknacker

So what? I don't mind if people say why it is nothing for them.
But it is something diffrent to speak for all others as if this future where a general problem and something that only generate costs.

Last edited by Nussknacker; 08-30-2013 at 10:01 AM.