Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Reflow / custom zoom selection. Comparisons

Seems to me that there might be a little confusion around, about reflow / custom zoom selection / simple zooming on PDF files*. Let's do some examples. If someone else could add more pics with his devices, it'd be nice for everyone.

The following images are from an enTourage edge, but I think the latest PB's and Boox's 9,7" may have a better management, when it comes to navigating the custom-zoomed parts of the page.

File: http://www.pnas.org/content/108/49/19569.full.pdf
1, just opened
2, custom zoom selection (like if borders trimmed)
3, custom zoom selection (of the first column)
4: reflow

File: http://www.jjg.net/elements/pdf/elements.pdf
A, just opened
B, landscaped
C, custom zoom selection over image
D, reflow, with the central image being broken in pieces

File: ftp://ftp.sonicwall.com/pub/info/installation_guide.pdf
I, just opened
II, custom zoom selection
III, custom zoom selection + scribbling
IV, reflow
But like with the previous file, if I reflow, the images are broken in pieces (or not shown)

Notes:
I didn't show the standard zoom (to gradually Zoom in + / out -): when you click on "Zoom in" = arrows appear in the four directions, to navigate the page you just click on them.

The area of the custom zoom ("Zoom select"), is selected by drawing an imaginary diagonal with the stylus

zoom selection and reflow, here, are permanent when you turn page. You can do any kind of stylus annotations in these modes, but when you go back to "fit to page" visualization: annotations won't be seen, only highlights. To see annotations again, you must return in annotation mode, and the page will display again as when you annotated it.

Before you ask: the screen's surface appears glare because of the film I applied to it, being a heavy user of stylus annotations I had to use it (Vikuiti, very thick one and pricey, but durable).

No flash used, Canon A2000IS cheap point-and-shoot, night, one 15W low-consumption bulb

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-13-2012 at 11:11 AM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG

File: http://www.pnas.org/content/108/49/19569.full.pdf
Pics:
1, just opened
2 Following images: testing the few available fixed zoom options.
II pict
III pict
IV pict
V pict
VI pict

This is what happens when a device cannot custom-zooming or reflowing. With this, it's just a matter of luck if you'll be able to read a zoomed text, it'll depend on the text layout. Magazines will be a nightmare.

And what if there's no multi-column layout, but a big block of tiny text? Simple: you can't use any zoom to read, just landscape mode.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-11-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
He he...the JetBook reflow supporters are now in trouble...
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Jetbook Color version - Example 1

Jetbook Color version - Example 1

Sorry, all these photos are not great because I shot with 3mpx mode (to save my poor band!) and without white balancing.

Ex 1 as is (just open):
Click image for larger version

Name:	es1-raw.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	726.1 KB
ID:	83857

Ex 1 reflow:

Name:	es1-reflow.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	719.5 KB
ID:	83858

Ex 1 optimized by Pc software: as I would load in my eReader (because JBC not have at the present version the Zoom-Box but only in Percent):

Name:	es1-optimized_sw.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	720.8 KB
ID:	83859

*** Do not comment: to be continued ***
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jetbook Color version - Example 2

Jetbook Color version - Example 2

Sorry, all these photos are not great because I shot with 3mpx mode (to save my poor band!) and without white balancing.

Ex 2 as is (just open):

Name:	es2-raw.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	729.2 KB
ID:	83861

Ex 2 reflow:

Name:	es2-reflow.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	724.8 KB
ID:	83862

Ex 2 optimized by Pc software: as I would load in my eReader (because JBC not have at the present version the Zoom-Box but only in Percent):

Name:	es2-optimized_sw.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	697.4 KB
ID:	83863

*** Do not comment: to be continued ***
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
mod186k1
Addict

Jetbook Color version - Example 3

Jetbook Color version - Example 3

Ex 3 as is (just open):

Name:	es3-raw.JPG
Views:	480
Size:	720.6 KB
ID:	83864

Ex 3 reflow:

Name:	es3-reflow.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	727.8 KB
ID:	83865

Ex 3 optimized by Pc software: as I would load in my eReader (because JBC not have at the present version the Zoom-Box but only in Percent):

Name:	es3-optimized_sw.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	732.9 KB
ID:	83866

Ex 3 Scribble while I set 150% zoom-in:

Name:	es3-scribbled_while_in_zoom.JPG
Views:	486
Size:	734.8 KB
ID:	83867

*** ok you can post now ***
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
He he...the JetBook reflow supporters are now in trouble...
Please . Let's just rationally talk about this device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
*** ok you can post now ***
Please . Let's just rationally talk about this device.

Is it possible? There's no black team against white team. Reflow and zoom capabilities are not subjective.

Subjective is choosing whether reading with 2mm height fonts is comfortable or not. I already said it's not for me (I find it tiring, especially with e-ink displays), others said they can read them with no problem whatsoever. It's just fine like this.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-13-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Thanks for all the pics! Now I have a better idea of its capabitilites as of now.

So, please correct me if I'm wrong:
JBC CAN reflow (although images aren't preserved, like any other reader except for PB's).
JBC lacks custom zooming

I didnt' trim/optimize any file as in the everyday work I haven't the time to do it with all the hundreds of files I happen to check or read. If you can do it, better to.

(A question, a bit off topic sorry: after you annotated a page (Scribble while I set 150% zoom-in), can you zoom in and out the page, and keep annotating it using different zoom values on the same page? That'd be great! the edge couldn't do it unless you export as pdf the page first)

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-13-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
I consider the test done with this document http://www.jjg.net/elements/pdf/elements.pdf as very illustrative for the fact that PDF and Reflow do not get along... the two ideas contradict each other, different paradigm to say so but some of you insist that it works with PDFs.

Well it works with the simples, text only PDFs. Complex PDFs with diagrams, tables and pictures can not be accurately or decently rendered when reflow is used.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Basing on what I know, only Pocketbooks can reflow while preserving some images, at present

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-13-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
(A question, a bit off topic sorry: after you annotated a page (Scribble while I set 150% zoom-in), can you zoom in and out the page, and keep annotating it using different zoom values on the same page? That'd be great! the edge couldn't do it unless you export as pdf the page first)
It would works like you say but there is a bug in firmware. I wrote support few hours ago.
iLiad, for example, works in the way you said.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Yeah I remember, that's a great feature.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-13-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Tags
custom zoom selection, entourage edge, reflow