Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #61
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
(I hear the AData Class 6 cards are great, but I haven't found one yet.)
SupermediaStore has them in 4GB. $6.95/ea., no shipping and no tax. They ship pretty fast -- customer service is really good.

I'm using the Adata 8GB class 10 for extra storage in my NC and it performs very well. Put it in my eDGe and it was fine...albeit a little wonky in spots
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #62
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Radio Shack is a good place for SanDisk cards. Again, don't worry about it if they're class 2 or unclassed--just grab an 8 or 16GB card.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #63
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I'm using the Adata 8GB class 10 for extra storage in my NC and it performs very well. Put it in my eDGe and it was fine...albeit a little wonky in spots
Just for clarification, an SD card that works well in the stock firmware won't necessarily work well as a boot disk. One of these days I'll stop being lazy and compile a new Android kernel with the appropriate "quirk" enabled and see if that puts an end to all this mess. Until then, almost every card I've tried has been terrible.

I just tried a pre-Class system 2GB Kingston with very impressive speed for everything but random writes, and it works great. So maybe you'll get lucky with one you have lying around.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #64
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Trying to convince the hubby I NEED a Nook Color.
Well, that's a given!

Frankly, I've been very happy with my stock Nook for several months. I'm just doing this to see what all the fuss is about. That and I just can't help myself.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #65
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppy View Post
Frankly, I've been very happy with my stock Nook for several months. I'm just doing this to see what all the fuss is about. That and I just can't help myself.
The stock Nook Color is excellent (after adding ezPDF from the B&N store)!

The reason I did this is very simple: Netflix, HBO Go, and better video support. I'm a reader, and the Nook Color is an excellent eReader ... but I had to work my way through the last season of Doctor Who somehow.

That, and B&N's apparent belief that multi-level table of contents is for nerds...

Last edited by LoganK; 09-26-2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Adding a comment about TOC.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #66
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
The reason I did this is very simple: Netflix, HBO Go, and better video support. I'm a reader, and the Nook Color is an excellent eReader ... but I had to work my way through the last season of Doctor Who somehow.
I agree. I watched The Expendables over the weekend. Not a great movie, but it was very cool to watch it on my Nook.

And I totally forgot about HBO Go!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #67
Pinkie
Connoisseur
Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Nook Color, Kobo
I bought a Nook Color last year. Loved it, but decided to root it. I installed 2.2 on top of the 1.2 update, and used it for a while. A few days ago, it refused to acknowledge the market at all. Whatever I did.
So I decided to return to stock, start from scratch and maybe put CM7 on from a card. After a bit of messing about with the 2 cards I had, I found one that worked and played around for a bit.
Then I tried to reboot and it wouldn't start up. Reformatted the card, put the stuff back on it, and it wouldn't work.
Got it to work, but when I plugged it into my computer, the pc wouldn't recognise it. Neither would Calibre (and if you don't know what that is, what are you doing with a Nook?). So I took the card out, loaded some books, and when I put the card back in, the NC stalled at the "Android" page. Wouldn't boot up. Reformatted the card, redid the install thingie and the NC refused to do anything at all.
You know what? I'm tired of messing about with it, so that this doesn't work and that doesn't work. The Nook Color is a well-built, awesome book reader with an Internet option, and that's all I really need from it. If I want a tablet, I'll buy a tablet. But I can't see the point. I just bought a new ultra light laptop for traveling with rather than getting a tablet, and that's the device I'll use for watching movies, youtube and so on.
People diss the original firmware on the NC, but it's really not bad at all. I'd love a free solitaire app, but apart from that, I'm pretty happy with it. (I live in the UK, so I can't buy the apps).
Pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #68
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Pinkie, sounds like you got a bad card - what size and brand were you using?

Installing CM7 is fairly easy and very stable. I've had mine installed since I bought it in March and have had no problems.

But if you're happy as you are, then OK.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #69
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Pinkie, sounds like you got a bad card - what size and brand were you using?

Installing CM7 is fairly easy and very stable. I've had mine installed since I bought it in March and have had no problems.

But if you're happy as you are, then OK.
Netflix is not available on stock NC correct? But have you ever tried to just go to the Netflix site and stream from there?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #70
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Why is anyone BUYING these cards??? It takes more time to buy the things than to actually make one!
Speak for yourself I tried making my own card. Twice. I couldn't get gapps to work. Twice. Finally threw in the towel and ordered the card. I'm reasonably computer savvy, although totally ignorant about Android. Still I had no issues with making the card, even got it to dual boot, aside from that pesky issue of getting gapps to work & Market to show up. Got tired of researching and trying fixes that didn't work. So I'm over it. Some folks value their time, and I've wasted far too much of mine on the DIY version to throw any more at it. Bring on the N2A card! I gladly paid them $25 or so for something that works properly out of the box - just wish I'd done it to begin with.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #71
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Quote:
Netflix is not available on stock NC correct? But have you ever tried to just go to the Netflix site and stream from there?

Carol
I think Netflix is only available for Android 2.2 and above right(no idea what stock NC has)? I could be wrong, but if you are interested, you can grab the apk from somewhere and try installing it that way.

I don't think you can watch Netflix via the browser. Doesn't it rely on some plugin called silverlight? that is necessary to stream the content?

I've got CM7 on mine and have no problems watching Netflix, but I also rarely use it.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #72
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolina View Post
I think Netflix is only available for Android 2.2 and above right(no idea what stock NC has)? I could be wrong, but if you are interested, you can grab the apk from somewhere and try installing it that way.

I don't think you can watch Netflix via the browser. Doesn't it rely on some plugin called silverlight? that is necessary to stream the content?

I've got CM7 on mine and have no problems watching Netflix, but I also rarely use it.
Thanks. Yes Netflix requires Silverlight. Do you have CM7 installed on an SD card or internally?

Carol
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #73
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
Speak for yourself I tried making my own card. Twice. I couldn't get gapps to work. Twice. Finally threw in the towel and ordered the card. I'm reasonably computer savvy, although totally ignorant about Android. Still I had no issues with making the card, even got it to dual boot, aside from that pesky issue of getting gapps to work & Market to show up. Got tired of researching and trying fixes that didn't work. So I'm over it. Some folks value their time, and I've wasted far too much of mine on the DIY version to throw any more at it. Bring on the N2A card! I gladly paid them $25 or so for something that works properly out of the box - just wish I'd done it to begin with.
If I get the NC I will probably try to do the SD card myself first. If it doesn't work out, I will buy the card like you did.

I think I am in the minority, but I still think I like the NC better than the new Kindle Fire tablet. I'm just waiting to see what B&N will do with the NC2.

Carol
Old 09-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #74
oppy
Connoisseur

Quote:
If I get the NC I will probably try to do the SD card myself first.
Good for you! If you follow the directions, it should be painless.

Quote:
I think I am in the minority, but I still think I like the NC better than the new Kindle Fire tablet.
I don't know about the minority - I think you're absolutely right!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #75
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppy View Post
Good for you! If you follow the directions, it should be painless.

I don't know about the minority - I think you're absolutely right!
I'm just kind of holding off to see what the NC2 will be. If they don't release it soon I may just get the NC.

Carol