Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
SunFuLai
SunFuLai began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600 - ePub
"Access denied" to downloaded news - Windows Error message 5

Great program - worth a donation!!
Downloading and reading ePub books works.
Dowloading news from listed newspapers seems to work (all details are shown incl size in the library!) - reading gives following error message (Toegang geweigerd = Access denied):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 61, in run
File "threading.py", line 477, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator.py", line 192, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 216, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\epub\input.py", line 117, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\zipfile.py", line 1051, in extractall
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\zipfile.py", line 1039, in extract
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\zipfile.py", line 1082, in _extract_member
File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 5] Toegang geweigerd: 'c:\\users\\fred\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibre_0. 7.24_tmp_tjaigd\\calibre_0.7.24_vccost_ebook_iter\ \feed_0\\article_0'

Does this have to do with the infamous DRM or is there another problem (firewall?) that I need to solve first?
SunFuLai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What news source is this?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And if you are launching the viewer from the main calibre GUI dont close the main GUI until you close the viewer (that's a bug that will be fixed in the enxt release).
Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
SunFuLai

I have tried a few sources: 2 Dutch newspapers (AD and Elsevier) and 2 UK ones (Independent and Observer). First three give a Windows 5 "No Access" error, the Observer a different error: "Failed (converter error). My guess is this is source specific. HOWEVER, when sent to the Reader, the first 3 can be viewed! Have downloaded latest version (7.26), but you most probably meant the next one after this one that must have been in the pipeline.
Not fully sure what you meant with GUI (general user interface?), but had opened the viewer from the main toolbar and without closing Calibre.

Not sure if I have to start a new thread, but while getting familiar with Calibre, another question popped up: I do not seem to be able to upload books from my reader that were already on there. I can delete them allright, but if one wants to manage the whole lot from Calibre, it would be slightly easier to have an synchronization also the other way around. Not a big issue though - I can manage without!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That error indicates that windows is not allowing calibre to create the temporary files it needs. This could be caused by anything ranging from an overzealous security program to some form of malware on your system. Certainly all the news sources you mentioned work for me in windows with the viewer.
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Paede
Paede began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Hi,

I had the same problem and it was caused by the "Kaspersky Internet Security Suite". I disabled the protection for some minutes and then I could start the viewer with the News. Now I have to check how to make a "rule" so that I don't have to disable the protection.

Have a nice day !
Paede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:02 AM   #7
SunFuLai

Thanks! I am working with McAfee, but did not bother to dig into it. After a synchronize, I could read the news on my Sony, which was the objective anyway. The reason I posed the question was just for interest why it did not work.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:17 AM   #8
Milford
Milford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Ipad
Thanks. I fixed Kasperski by going to settings, application control, applications and moving the two calibre applications Calibre and calibre Co worker to the trusted group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paede View Post
Hi,
I had the same problem and it was caused by the "Kaspersky Internet Security Suite". I disabled the protection for some minutes and then I could start the viewer with the News. Now I have to check how to make a "rule" so that I don't have to disable the protection.
Have a nice day !
Milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
Kismatt
lowly peon
Kismatt began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A7, Win10 Tab, Paperwhite (7th Gen), Paperwhite (10th Gen)
I'm getting this old error now:

Quote:
calibre, version 0.8.27
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>WindowsError</b>:[Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\Kelly\\Calibre Library\\Unknown'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 317, in dispatch
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\fetch_news.py", line 62, in scheduled_recipe_fetched
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 196, in add_news
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 3120, in add_news
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 611, in set_path
File "os.py", line 150, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\Kelly\\Calibre Library\\Unknown'
I have looked for this folder, and it is in the Calibre folder, but

1. it shows "Empty" in Properties
2. it will not allow access
3. it will not be deleted or renamed.

Any action states that I do not have permission, yet I am the administrator and sole user of this computer. I have rebooted twice, and the "Unknown" folder disappears after reboot, only to reappear when I attempt to get News.

I was able to download the following News feeds until now:

Discover Magazine
Engadget
National Geographic
National Public Radio
NOAA
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
xkcd
Yahoo! News

and I tried one at random (Popular Science) and got the same Error 5.

I have unloaded F-Secure's Security Suite (branded by Charter Comm) and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The line item shows up in the Main Library list, but when I click on it, I get

Quote:
calibre, version 0.8.27
ERROR: Cannot view: Popular Science [Wed, 23 Nov 2011] has no available formats.
Help??
Kismatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:14 AM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

check, if you're running 2 firewalls (win and fsecure). If calibre have all rights this error should not come up. Had you check the permissions of calibre in your firewall?
You can ceck, if your Popular Science [Wed, 23 Nov 2011] is in the folder of your database. If not, there is nothing to open (what is the meaning of this error message).

May be, its a good idea to run the setup once more.
Hope, this will help you.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:11 AM   #11
Kismatt
lowly peon

I have authorized calibre manually through both firewalls - this error occurs after the threads are downloaded, after the ePub is created, and before the file ends up in the folder "calibre" inside the Calibre Library folder.

The Popular Science file was indicated as 'created' in the calibre program, but was an empty file - that last error was what I got when trying to view the file. (aka, there was no file)

I ran the setup again, upgraded to the newest version (0.8.28) and attempted to get News again. One of the 6 feeds managed to make it to the real ePub file (Engadget [Mon, 28 Nov 2011] (150)) but none of the others. I even restarted the computer, thinking it was due to the locked "Unknown" file folder, but no joy.

The error says "Unhandled exception" at the top of the window, if that makes any difference.

Here's the error I got when trying the Calibre Blog

Spoiler:
calibre, version 0.8.28
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>WindowsError</b>:[Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\Kelly\\Calibre Library\\Unknown'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 317, in dispatch
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\fetch_news.py", line 62, in scheduled_recipe_fetched
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 196, in add_news
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 3121, in add_news
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 611, in set_path
File "os.py", line 150, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\Kelly\\Calibre Library\\Unknown'

which I think is the same one as before.

I'll continue to poke and prod at it.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismatt View Post
I have authorized calibre manually through both firewalls - this error occurs after the threads are downloaded, after the ePub is created, and before the file ends up in the folder "calibre" inside the Calibre Library folder.
Do you have two firewalls running at the same time? No good idea. Please switch of one. You need only one.
If calibre is running in general and some recipes are running and other causes errors then there is normaly no issue with a Firewall and you need to look on other things. Guess you have enough disk space and memory on your system, right?
And is it normal to have "\\" in "WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\Kelly\\Calibre Library\\Unknown'
" for directories?

Last edited by Divingduck; 11-29-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That access is denied error is for the calibre. You may have incorrect permissions on those folders (they may be set to read only).
Old 12-02-2011, 02:10 AM   #14
Kismatt
lowly peon

Thumbs up

Kovid,

I finally went to the Windows forum to find out how to unlock a folder - installed a little utility and unlocked the Unknown folder and another that was also 'stuck' in the Calibre Library folder.

Unbeknownst to me, my cloud backup program had LOCKED those folders even though I wasn't running the program. As soon as I turned it off (it was hiding in the Hidden Icons in the sys tray), the two folders vanished, and my News feeds downloaded and sorted into calibre without a problem.

I also found the ePubs that the calibre program created...they were still in temp folder c:\users\kelly\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.8.28_t mp_sq2e7e\ with obscure names. Since the program couldn't move them to the 'Unknown' folder, they stayed in the temp folder!

Thank you for your continued development of this outstanding program.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Glad you got it sorted