Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
In, one little college I went to the psychology dept lecture halls didn't have desks. There was tiered bleacher steps that you sat on. You only had your lap for a desk.
Not even chairs to sit in? I don't think I'd even go to that college for free.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
In, one little college I went to the psychology dept lecture halls didn't have desks. There was tiered bleacher steps that you sat on. You only had your lap for a desk.
And you had to walk a mile barefoot in the snow to get there, uphill both ways!
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #18
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
It was an old state school. One of the first in the South. In the old buildings many of the classrooms were like amphitheaters. The room slanted up from the instructors podium. The bleachers were like solid stairs.and extended around the room. They had to be over a hundred years old. In a way it was built like a modern movie theater with the bleacher type rising seats but of course those are cushioned chairs.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
paralleluniverse
Enthusiast
paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
I wouldn't find it useful as a student. The main issues are the screen being too small, and no eink display, leading to eye strain.

I prefer Onyx M92, which is the best ereader for reading PDFs. Otherwise, I could just use a laptop for serious work.
paralleluniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Seems Samsung is releasing a Note with an 8" screen. Could be the ideal solution for students. Large enough screen for textbooks with the added feature of note taking and the capability to organize them.
Not to mention the split screen feature, so you can watch videos or tweet at the same time. Gotta be productive, right?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #21
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
A pre-order in Norway for the 16GB WiFi model with estimated delivery on the 17th of April will set you back 3495 NOK that is the equivalent of 572 US dollars

I can by the iPad mini which is available in store today for 2590 NOK/424 USD

The Samsung tablet clearly has the better specs but I'm not sure if it justifies the hefty price. Hopefully the price will drop after it's been released.

Here's a site making a comparison of the two tablets: http://www.gizmag.com/ipad-mini-vs-s...parison/26384/

Last edited by thinkpad; 03-31-2013 at 04:03 PM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I think I'll go for the galaxy note 10.1 it is the same price as the note 8.0 and will be more use to me as I already have an ipad mini.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I would find it odd if the 10.1 and the 8.0 were sold at the same price.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #24
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Samsung's latest trend seems to price their flagship products *really* high (as in more than expected) I do like their stuff but given their track record of dodgy eMMCs (I speak from personal experience there) I really wouldn't buy anything for a good few months after release. My S2 came with what came to be known on XDA-devs as the "Brickbug" eMMC and my S3 the "Sudden Death" eMMC (the former also present in the Note and a few other models; the later also in Note 2). In all cases they fixed the issues in later production runs but frankly it's rather disappointing when a high number of phone (including yours!) just die after a few months. Yes it's a warranty job but that's no excuse really.

Last edited by Yolina; 04-01-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #25
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Suppose I'm in an envious position then, because Samsung products don't reach Sweden until they've been out a few months. On that note (excuse the lame pun) when will the 8.0 be released? Can you already preorder it?

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 04-01-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #26
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I *think* that in the UK it's due out at some point in April, priced at around £350. I have no idea about pre-orders though, sorry.

Edit: had a look round the usual places, only came up with preorders currently available from Handtec at £379.99 and Expansys at £349.99
In both cases, that's for the 16GB WiFi only version in white, which seems to be the only moddel available for now

Edit 2: and Pixmania at £340 (not one of the places I normally look at...)

Last edited by Yolina; 04-01-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #27
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Pixmania has it on pre-order for 399€. Release date is 15.4.
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I would find it odd if the 10.1 and the 8.0 were sold at the same price.
Here in Norway this is actually the case. You can pick up the 10.1 model for the same price as a pre-order for the 8 model.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #29
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskin View Post
Pixmania has it on pre-order for 399€. Release date is 15.4.
I checked Pixmania for Norway and they have it for a lower price than the big IT-shops. 3137 NOK with release date on the 15th of April.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
thinkpad
David

Does anyone have a screen with a 16:10 aspect ratio (1280x800 WXGA) like the Note 8? How is it to read on compared to iPads 4:3 ratio? I still think 4:3 is the ideal form factor for reading, widescreens are for media consumption. But then again I guess people who mainly use there devices for reading are dwindling.

Last edited by thinkpad; 04-04-2013 at 02:09 AM.