Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Strange problem with TOC showing .html tag

Since this whole firmware v2.0.0 fiasco that Kobo had which bricked my KT, and the subsequent downgrade to 1.9.17, I have experienced a really weird problem. The Table of Contents show the Chapter heading and immediately below it, it shows the chapter heading again in lowercase with a ".html" extension. So for example, so Chapter "PART ONE: Above Silence" has immediately below it "part001.html". I can go to some of these chapters but when I reach the end of the chapter, I get an error saying "Oops! This document couldn't be opened". I've done resets and factory resets but I always end up with the same issue and it isn't just one book, it is all of them. I am transferring via Kobo Desktop. Is anyone else experiencing this?
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Here is what I'm talking about:
Here is a shot of the TOC. Note the odd .html listings.

Here is what happens when I click to the end of a chapter. I get this:
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8...0716002840.jpg

Last edited by TongueTied; 07-15-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Images were too small to see so I re-uploaded them
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yep I saw that too. I checked out getsatisfaction.com/kobo and there was some issue with communication between the new desktop software and 1.9.17. The updated the desktop app to fix this. They recommend reinstalling it and a factory reset of the device. The book it happened to me in was a gift so not thinking I deleted from my Touch hoping to resync. But since it was a gift it wasn't a purchase on my account. Thankfully I had an epub backup.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
TongueTied
Zealot

If it is a Desktop 3 issue, then presumably a Wifi update should work fine. My KT doesn't connect to my home wifi so I will try in the office tomorrow. However, will a simple sync do anything at all? If the KT currently thinks everything is fine and I sync it over wifi, it will not re download my books will it?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My other kepubs I downloaded through wifi appear fine. It was just that one that was a problem. I usually skip the sync through the desktop app and only stopped it after that one downloaded.
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
TongueTied
Zealot

Okay, I think I have this one figured out. There does appear to be some issues with Kobo Desktop v3 and Kobo Touch v1.9.17. This means that their halting of the KT v2.0.0 rollout isn't really going to help people who had their KT bricked. Yes the KT will become usable (sort-of) again but you still can't properly use it. So, here is how I think I have solved it:

I still have a copy of the installation file for the older desktop version in my Downloads folder (KD v2.1.7). Actually, I downloaded it after the release of KDv3. I don't know why they didn't change it to KDv3 right away or if it is still on their site. Here is what I did:

1. I un-installed KDv3 from my computer,
2. Installed the older KD (v2.1.7) but didn't open the program,
3. Factory reset my KT again,
4. plugged my KT into my computer,
5. Opened the just installed, KD v2.1.7.

At this point the KT was immediately recognised and the setup started BEFORE KD could sync with Kobo's site. Once the setup was complete ie Step 4 of 4, KD told me that a new version of the Desktop was available and only gave me the option to Install.

6. So, I clicked Install,
7. As the new KD is being downloaded, I hit Cancel which shuts KD down.
8. I then unmounted/ejected my KT.

At this point, my KT had my settings properly entered but my library had not been downloaded.

9. I then did a sync via wifi.

Now, it seems all the books in my library no longer have the .html listed in the TOC and the chapters flow as expected from one to the next. So now, I just hope Kobo fix that KT firmware before I finish all of my available reading material again. The race is on!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Yep I saw that too. I checked out getsatisfaction.com/kobo and there was some issue with communication between the new desktop software and 1.9.17. The updated the desktop app to fix this. They recommend reinstalling it and a factory reset of the device. The book it happened to me in was a gift so not thinking I deleted from my Touch hoping to resync. But since it was a gift it wasn't a purchase on my account. Thankfully I had an epub backup.
Out of curiousity on this one - go into the trash on your account online and see if the deleted book shows up there. I would never have thought about it totally disappearing (but I've never had a gifted book either).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
RareBird
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Out of curiousity on this one - go into the trash on your account online and see if the deleted book shows up there. I would never have thought about it totally disappearing (but I've never had a gifted book either).
First place I checked. Nothing in the trash, not in purchased, and not in I'm reading. It is gone as a kobo epub from my account. Lesson learned. Like I said, it's a good thing I had the epub saved. I was only half way through it and it's a good one.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
RareBird
Addict

Ok now for something really strange. I searched for the book I was gifted on the Kobo site and when I clicked on it I had the option to download the Adobe DRM file or send as a gift but not purchase it meaning there is a record somewhere of it being on my account. And now for even weirder. I selected get a preview and it's now back in my account and it is the full book. I just downloaded it to my touch. Good to know it is possible to get it back.