Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Sony $100 back when buying 299.00 on their card (?)

is this the best way to get a prs-505 under $200? Also what is their standard interest rate, or does that vary (not that i wouldn't have it paid off before the interest kicked in)....also does it really take 8-12 weeks for the $100 to be credited to your account....and if you pay it off before the $100 is credited do they just give you a -100 on your account?

I found one somehwere else for around $274 so even though it's more it might be worth it just to not have to deal with a hassle of a new credit card.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
No. Because the $100.00 (which I'm assuming is the 100,000 sign-on points), does indeed take 8-12 weeks. I'm in week 10 I think, and still don't have them. So, you can go ahead and get the card, buy a package of gum with it, then wait 3 months, and buy the Reader, and you'd be set. I'm not that patient. So, I will simply apply the $100 credit, when it finally comes, to the current balance of the card, then pay off the card and throw it away.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

for some reason i'm not seeing the $100 back for using the sony card.....is that automatic or do i have to follow a special link.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again, if you are talking about the 100,000 sign-on bonus "Sony Rewards" points for applying for the card, which points are valued at US$0.01 per point, then those points will come 8-12 weeks after your first purchase.

Since my first purchase was 3/28, and it's now 6/26, I can vouch for the fact that they do indeed mean 8-12 weeks.

If you cannot clarify your question, I cannot clarify my answer.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
That's good to know. I was going to wait for the card, but I ended up buying a new one off of ebay. Kind of wish I'd gone with blue now, although since I spent hours at a Sony Style store comparing the two and definitely liking the silver better in person, it's probably just a grass is greener type of thing. I just hate the color of the tan cover for the silver.

Anyways, I'm glad I didn't try to delay until getting the card. For some reason I thought the -100 back would be very quick.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
krighton
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Again, if you are talking about the 100,000 sign-on bonus "Sony Rewards" points for applying for the card, which points are valued at US$0.01 per point, then those points will come 8-12 weeks after your first purchase.

Since my first purchase was 3/28, and it's now 6/26, I can vouch for the fact that they do indeed mean 8-12 weeks.

If you cannot clarify your question, I cannot clarify my answer.
when i first saw the offer, earlier today, it just said $100 back...didn't mention points...was on sonystyle.com...
Old 06-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

The only SonyStyle offer is the one that's been around... well, since I started looking at them, at least, which is the 100 free "classics", which they claim is a $199.00 value. Most of those titles are available here, though, for free.

I went all the way through to the Checkout phase, and never saw an offer for a $100.00 rebate.

In any case, your best source for information on terms and conditions of an offer would be on SonyStyle, if that's where you saw the offer.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
there may have been a link on Sony Style, but the OP is referring to the $100 back if you first sign up for the Sony Credit Card and use it to make a purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The only SonyStyle offer is the one that's been around... well, since I started looking at them, at least, which is the 100 free "classics", which they claim is a $199.00 value. Most of those titles are available here, though, for free.

I went all the way through to the Checkout phase, and never saw an offer for a $100.00 rebate.

In any case, your best source for information on terms and conditions of an offer would be on SonyStyle, if that's where you saw the offer.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I can't speak to that. Sony frequently changes the "apply for our card offer". When I did, the offer was for 100,000 Sony Rewards points. You can use them to purchase things from the "Rewards Catalog". You can also have the points converted to pennies and applied to your card balance, which is exactly like getting a $100.00 credit.

If the question was, "does it really take 8-12 weeks", all I can say is, the offer I accepted, has taken 12 weeks to be fulfilled. Or will, in a few more days.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I signed up for the card, ordered the 505 all in one night, had my reader in about a week, the card in two weeks, and the $100 credit in about 5 weeks
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 AM   #11
dborja
Enthusiast
dborja began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I signed up for the card, ordered the 505 all in one night, had my reader in about a week, the card in two weeks, and the $100 credit in about 5 weeks
Oh! It's good to know that the whole process is as smooth as I hoped. Thanks for sharing your experience, Ervserver! I just took Sony (and Chase) up on the offer and I received the Limited Patterson Reader today. Shipping was fast! It was free and I got it two days after ordering. I've successfully downloaded the Patterson bundle and two classics and the coupons/offers worked nicely - no charge to me and the coupons on my cart were properly depleted.

Now, to wait for the card and the $100 credit...
dborja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
krighton
Addict

must be doing this wrong....applied for the card, was approved, trying to purchase a reader...getting this error when placing order...

While processing your order we were unable to obtain authorization on your HSBC card. Potential reasons include:
1. The account number you entered is invalid.
2. The street address and zip code you entered do not match what is on file with your credit card provider.
3. SonyStyle.com does not accept credit cards from institutions that do not participate in the Address Verification Service (AVS).
Please double check and re-enter your information.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

is there a waiting period for them to activate the card? all the information is correct.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
dborja
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
must be doing this wrong....applied for the card, was approved, trying to purchase a reader...getting this error when placing order...

While processing your order we were unable to obtain authorization on your HSBC card. Potential reasons include:
1. The account number you entered is invalid.
2. The street address and zip code you entered do not match what is on file with your credit card provider.
3. SonyStyle.com does not accept credit cards from institutions that do not participate in the Address Verification Service (AVS).
Please double check and re-enter your information.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

is there a waiting period for them to activate the card? all the information is correct.
Sorry to break some bad news for you but it looks like you opted for Sony Financing instead of the Sony Card. The Sony Card is serviced by Chase, not HSBC. Sony Finance only offers the 12 month no interest option; unlike the Sony Card which gives you that and the $100 credit...
Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
krighton
Addict

ah, was selecting the wrong thing....got it done, thanks for mentioning sony financing.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
dborja
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
ah, was selecting the wrong thing....got it done, thanks for mentioning sony financing.
Good! You did get the Sony Card serviced by Chase, right?