Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you buy an iRex Digital Reader?
No, iRex products are not among my choices. 27 22.88%
Yes, I would buy the DR1000 Base. 8 6.78%
Yes, I would buy the DR1000 S (touch screen). 35 29.66%
Yes, I would buy the DR1000 SW (touch screen, connectivity). 31 26.27%
No, I would stick to the iRex iLiad. 17 14.41%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #31
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterbury Tail View Post
This is of course assuming the new reader will allow a level of zoom to fill the page with text without the margins, and will have a user friendly page skipping for them.
All we have is images of the interface, but it looks good so far. Goto http://irextechnologies.com/dr1000images/ and click on menu (4th image). The NY Times New Summary in the image is almost certainly a PDF.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #32
dobbyone
dobbyone began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, HTC Tytn II, DR1000S
Well, I maybe screwed myself, but I ordered one 1000. Will see how it compares to the cybook that I have.
dobbyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #33
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
You should have included option:
Impressive but Waaaaaaaaay too expensive.

Perhaps I would consider it, If I was earning an USA or Western Europe salary ...
Here in my country I earn fraction of what Americans or Germans earn in my position.

I want to take my reader with me everywhere. The only time I leave it home is when I go to work. They do not want to allow me to read there ;-). I have to work instead.

To be able to take my fiction reader with me *everywhere* it has to have a small form factor (6" is ideal for text-only, fiction reading), and it has to be cheap, because sooner or later it is going to be damaged. I would not dare to take 500 Euro device for a camping trip or for a holiday on the beach.

I would like to have a large format reader for an occasional technical book (mostly computer related). So far I have managed by printing a few selected essential books (that I have been able to get only in electronic format) out and binding them by hand (**)
Again, 500 Euro pricetag is prohibitive for me.
Also, a technical book, or a textbook has to be more responsive than recent generation of e-ink readers. When I pick up a reference book I need to find desired information quickly. Flipping one page after another in "browsing" mode 1 second per page is not fast enough.

(**) By binding by hand I mean making a "classical" high quality hardback sewn together by hand using needle and thread (thin string). I can bind a 1000 page book in 90 minutes this way using coptic (***) binding

(***) I found this video and learned how to bind a book. It is very easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BMSrm0QOt0

Last edited by kacir; 09-23-2008 at 04:36 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #34
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I'll be waiting for December to have more information about Astak and Plastic Logic. If no information is given (or the given information doesn't please me), i'll take the plunge with the 1000S. For Christmas.

I'm very curious about the prices. Any more updated info on that?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterbury Tail View Post
No, the screen isn't large enough for this format. I'd want to read PDF books, mainly my role-playing collection which are formated for normal letter size books. The screen is just to small to be legible properly for these books. I'll wait and see what the Plastic Logic one is like. The resolution is fabulous, but the screen just too small to really fit into the market area it's going for. I'd want a minimum 12.1", and ideally 14"
You will need to buy a tablet pc or something similar. The plastic logic screen is only 10.7" although the overall size of the machine is A size.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #36
frimbob
frimbob began at the beginning.

Device: I-Rex
I would have to wait for the touch screen to be released for a few months, just so they can work the bugs out before buying it.

That and finding the money of course.

I don't really understand why someone would want to buy a model without a stylus.
frimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #37
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You should have included option:
Impressive but Waaaaaaaaay too expensive.

Perhaps I would consider it, If I was earning an USA or Western Europe salary ...
Here in my country I earn fraction of what Americans or Germans earn in my position.
Trust me, us Americans and Germans think it's pretty pricey, too.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #38
drago
Enthusiast
drago began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, BrokenfirstgeniLiad
I would not buy it. In the protective cover it obviously needs (the drop in the video did not look that fierce to me – so it is a fragile machine) it would be bigger or almost as big as my ThinkPad X, and the screen size of my Iliad seems ideal for reading fiction. So I’ll stick with my Iliad for a while I guess.
drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #39
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I can't afford any new hardware right now anyway, but even if I could, iRex gets no more of my money on "promised" features. I got my iLiad used at half-price, and it meets my needs fairly well. I bought it after the SDK was released, there were plenty of 3rd-party apps ported (especially FBreader), and it was possible to re-flash the unit. At that time, iRex was still promising some kind of suspend feature, before they realized the hardware design of the iLiad wouldn't support it. Then they delayed on stylus calibration, until volunteers from the developer community finally worked on that problem.

Since I use my reader for a combination of professional and academic reading and note-taking as well as reading for pleasure, I like the idea of a large screen with stylus input, but I don't think iRex is good at direct-to-consumer sales and support. It's not the business they wanted to be in. I'd need to see some evidence that they've improved their skills in this area before I'd buy any more of their products.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 AM   #40
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
using the iliad, no more irex products for me...
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote