Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
End of Sony consumer readers confirmed

Comes third hand via the Digital Reader Blog via lesen.net:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0.../#.U9zeEo7D_MJ

Quote:

Sony has confirmed today that they will not be making another ebook reader – not even for their sole remaining market in Japan.

There will be no PRS-T4, and lesen.net reports that the remaining stock of the Sony Reader PRS-T3 will be sold until it runs out. That device was was launched last fall in Europe but never shipped in the US, so I’m not sure how many people actually have one.

TBH, this comes as no surprise. After Sony first pulled out of the North American ebook market, and then a short while later abandoned Europe and Australia, there was little reason for Sony to develop a new model
Expected but still...

Hindsight being 20-20; they did have an amazing knack of zigging when the market was zagging.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Hindsight being 20-20; they did have an amazing knack of zigging when the market was zagging.
Yes, specifically in terms of producing frontlit readers. They had the disastrously awful PRS-700, and that seemed to scare them off the idea of frontlights, even when the technology had matured. I wouldn't buy a non-illuminated reader these days - it's just too useful a feature.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The first ereader I ever used was a Sony 300. This is no big deal for me, because I prefer Kindle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The first ereader I ever used was a Sony 300. This is no big deal for me, because I prefer Kindle.
That is funny, I still have my first ereader in the closet, also a prs-300. It would be nice if Amazon made a small formfactor 5" frontlit eink Kindle. That is not going to happen once the 6" became the one size fits all.

The PRS-300 is almost as big as 6" readers now, only with a smaller display.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
This news gives me some nostalgia even though I've never owned a Sony e-reader. The very first e-ink e-reader I ever saw in person was one of their early Pocket editions, at a freestanding Sony kiosk in some mall. I liked the concept but balked at the price. Times and technology were different then.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
So, that's it for the 13" reader as well, then?
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
So, that's it for the 13" reader as well, then?
No, that is why the headline said "End of Sony consumer readers confirmed". The 13.3" device is not a consumer device - it's marketed only to businesses.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I loved my Sony readers ( the 350 & TS1), but I did not like the store. The Kindle is
so much easier to work with.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I still have a 350, a 950 and a T1. The T1 has been my go-to reader for long sessions at the hair dresser, and whenever I turn it on I'm amazed at how much lighter it is and how much better the display is than on any of the ereaders (Nook/Kindles/Kobos) I've purchased in the last two years. From now on I will be more careful with it.

Last edited by NNolan; 08-03-2014 at 04:15 PM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I loved my Sony readers ( the 350 & TS1), but I did not like the store. The Kindle is
so much easier to work with.
+1. My first dedicated ereader was the sony PRS-500 that I got when it came out. I have a PRS-T2 that I use when I go backpacking (great battery life and very light). Typical Sony, great hardware, terrible software. The original store was an app that felt like it had been written as a senior project by some intern. Sony did have a few books that never made it to the Amazon store, but Amazon had a much, much better ebook selection.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I loved all the Sony's I had (505, 600 and 650) but for me the cost of the kindle keyboard lured me away and the lighted Paperwhite is now my main ereader. Sony could have done so much but they lost the will.

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-03-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
Sad day. My first dedicated ereader was a sony 505, then a 600 and finally a T1. Then I got a Kindle PW after the T1 cracked and the T2 was on the way. I can't do without a reader and saw the PW as a stop gap. I never did get the T2, and I'm still using the PW.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Expected but still...

I'm sorry to hear it, but it's definitely not a surprise -- Sony is backing out of a lot of markets. The first eReaders I saw in the stores were Sonys and I was impressed with their build from the start. (Of course I'm impressed with the build of the Nooks and Kindles as well.)

I'm happy I bought my PRS-T2. Hope it lasts for a while.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I loved all the Sony's I had (550, 600 and 650) but for me the cost of the kindle keyboard lured me away and the lighted Paperwhite is now my main ereader. Sony could have done so much but they lost the will.
For what they did do, Sony did have good programmers. The firmware worked well. To be able to shoehorn ePub into the 500 was probably not an easy task.

But I kind of figured Sony would exit the eBook market when they decided not to sell the T1 in the US. What Sony needed was proper leadership which they didn't have. If they had, they could have been bigger then Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For what they did do, Sony did have good programmers. The firmware worked well. To be able to shoehorn ePub into the 500 was probably not an easy task.

But I kind of figured Sony would exit the eBook market when they decided not to sell the T1 in the US. What Sony needed was proper leadership which they didn't have. If they had, they could have been bigger then Kobo.
They had all the pieces (but one) to be boss, including a big head start on Amazon, and threw it all away. Instead of improving their ebookstore, they killed their walled garden and had to start over from scratch, wasting over a year at a time Kindle was figuring out what worked and what didn't and surging ahead.

They never caught up after that.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote