Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Calibre ebook-viewer.exe changes EPUB file sizes?

I do not use Calibre as a manager, only as a converter. Note: I have the Alf/DeDRM plugin installed into the manager. But ebook-viewer.exe is a separate entity on it's own, right?

I launch ebook-viewer.exe separately to view e-books. And the file sizes of my EPUBs wihich were DRM free in the first place change. Why?

Should I keep two separate installs of Calibre on my machine, one for general use and one for Alf only and it will solve my problem?

Current version: 9.34 (I as a non techie regular user find too frequent updates - unlike other software - not worth it).
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A bit of googling will get you the answer to this question.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Its probably your settings in Viewer Preferences - like the one highlighted in attachment - right ?

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1362
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	108257  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Its probably your settings in Viewer Preferences - like the one highlighted in attachment - right ?

BR
Similar but not exactly the same. The highlighted item is the same. I didn't change anything, I use default settings.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
A bit of googling will get you the answer to this question.
I would greatly appreciate if you or anyone gives me the correct terms to Google which brings me to the solution.

I tried Googling before asking this question, like:
http://www.google.com/search?q=calib...nges+file+size
There you have it!

Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

where do you think it puts that last page number - under its hat

BR
Old 07-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
where do you think it puts that last page number
I'm not the original poster, but I would have thought the reader would save it to the viewer settings file. On my computer that's C:\Users\halo\AppData\Roaming\calibre\viewer.json. That file already contains the list of recently opened ebooks. I don't see why it couldn't also store the last viewed page or any other book-specific view information.

Modifying an ebook file by merely opening it is unnecessarily risky, particularly in light of the fact that there's already a file that could store the last page viewed.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Modifying an ebook file by merely opening it is unnecessarily risky, particularly in light of the fact that there's already a file that could store the last page viewed.
Unnecessarily risky? That is a strange assertion. What does unnecessarily risky even mean in regards to bookmarking where you left off in a book. There is zero risk, only a programming decision on how to track the position you stopped reading the book.

If someone doesn't want the bookmark file added simply uncheck the option to Remember the current page when quitting.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
I'm not the original poster, but I would have thought the reader would save it to the viewer settings file. On my computer that's C:\Users\halo\AppData\Roaming\calibre\viewer.json. That file already contains the list of recently opened ebooks. I don't see why it couldn't also store the last viewed page or any other book-specific view information.

That would assume you only use the calibre viewer on that machine - for me that's not the case.

I don't mind synching .epub files based on their mod date, there's plenty of gadgets to do that, but I don't know of any gadgets that selectively synch the contents of .json files.

Edit : There's also bookmarks - I exchange epubs with colleagues, and we use the the viewer's bookmark feature as a primitive annotation feature - they are also in the epub.file. Same as notes and highlights are when we exchange PDF files

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-17-2013 at 01:20 AM. Reason: bookmarks note
Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I turn info-tips off in most programs, but Calibre is an exception, its info-tips are excellent, although they sometimes disappear too quick - some programs have a setting to specify the info-tip display time, maybe a tweak could be provided in Calibre.

However the Viewer Configuration screens don't seem to have any info-tips - I think they should have them, and at the same standard all the other calibre info-tips.

Or have a missed a setting

BR
Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #11
avid01
Addict

How can I remove all personal metadata from the EPUB (current, page, bookmars, I don't know if it has notes as on a Kindle?) with a single click? With Calibre or otherwise?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's not a single click, but you can use the Modify ePub plugin to remove calibre bookmark files and other artifacts.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
It's not a single click, but you can use the Modify ePub plugin to remove calibre bookmark files and other artifacts.
And you can run Modify against multiple books

BR
Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #14
avid01
Addict

I tested several EPUB reader software in the meantime. Conclusion: none, other than Calibre actually write inside the file. Other software use it intact, bookmarks are not stored in EPUB, but in the displaying software. I like the idea.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And I would prefer it like this. Bookmarks and place info is not a feature of the viewer program, it should be intrinsic to the book.

You can turn the setting off, or use a different software. It is a personal choice, so I don't think Kovid will change calibre for that reason.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote