Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Notepad / Writing apps across software platforms?

Does anyone use any writing software - Notepad/Wordpad/Word/Scrivener -like; that allows transfer of working/editing files between Windows PCs and Android Tablets. Preferably not using 'cloud' for sync, but wifi across local LAN.

I currently use Scrivener, with flash drive to transfer between PC and laptop - and now I have an Android tablet, I would like to add flexibility!

I was looking at Evernote this morning, and then at the recent tale of hacking which makes me distrust cloud services even more than I did beforehand....

so that rules out most of what I have looked at; OneNote mobile, Google Docs etc....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Only thing I can think of is using a bluetooth app to transfer files back and forth, but that'd be really short-ranged.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
If you want a pure wifi solution then you can use ES File Explorer on Android, assuming that the documents you are editing are in a format that Android can edit. ES File Explorer can show folders on the local network, so as long as you keep your documents on a shared folder you'll be able to open them on the tablet.

That doesn't help with Scrivener, of course. The only way you could work with that from your tablet would be to remote desktop back into your PC.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Only thing I can think of is using a bluetooth app to transfer files back and forth, but that'd be really short-ranged.
Possibly, but as I have a wifi - it would make more sense to use that ? Thanks, though - all ideas gratefully received.

Last edited by GeoffC; 03-04-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
If you want a pure wifi solution then you can use ES File Explorer on Android, assuming that the documents you are editing are in a format that Android can edit. ES File Explorer can show folders on the local network, so as long as you keep your documents on a shared folder you'll be able to open them on the tablet.

That doesn't help with Scrivener, of course. The only way you could work with that from your tablet would be to remote desktop back into your PC.

Graham
Possible, thanks - that would offer a sync tablet to wifi drive. Something like Allway Sync would work between PC/Laptop. Maybe not pure Scrivener files, but simple txt ones for later import, perhaps.

Food for thought, thanks ....
Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
DropBox.

I know its cloud, but it also syncs via wifi. It will sync any file type to every major OS. I know of nothing that works only locally that can compete with DropBox.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
DropBox.

I know its cloud, but it also syncs via wifi. It will sync any file type to every major OS. I know of nothing that works only locally that can compete with DropBox.
DropBox is my solution too, but the issue if Geoff's trying to avoid the cloud is that he'll want to open files on his tablet when the cloud isn't available. The Dropbox app doesn't synchronise files locally to Android - it only fetches files from the cloud when you want them - so in a situation where Geoff had local wireless LAN but no internet Dropbox would be useless.

I also think that although Dropbox will synchronise over wifi, it only does so after the originating machine uploads. The other devices then get an updated index from the cloud and if the file is available on the LAN they fetch it from that rather than the internet. In other words, an active cloud connection is still needed even for local synchronisation.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 03-04-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
DropBox is my solution too, but the issue if Geoff's trying to avoid the cloud is that he'll want to open files on his tablet when the cloud isn't available. The Dropbox app doesn't synchronise files locally to Android - it only fetches files from the cloud when you want them - so in a situation where Geoff had local wireless LAN but no internet Dropbox would be useless.

Graham
Not correct. I do it on my iPhone and on my Asus Android tablet. You just have to tell Drop Box you want the file locally. I use it for power points and notes for when I am speaking - and often do not have net access.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Not correct. I do it on my iPhone and on my Asus Android tablet. You just have to tell Drop Box you want the file locally. I use it for power points and notes for when I am speaking - and often do not have net access.
Where are the settings for that, Vincent?

I know that you'll get the file locally if you tap on it, but I can't see where (on Android) you'd tag a particular set of files to always synchronise locally.

Or do you mean that once you've downloaded a file then it becomes synchronised? Yes, that works to the cloud, but would it synchronise back to the Windows PC without internet access?

I'll do some testing.

Graham
Old 03-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Where are the settings for that, Vincent?

I know that you'll get the file locally if you tap on it, but I can't see where (on Android) you'd tag a particular set of files to always synchronise locally.

Or do you mean that once you've downloaded a file then it becomes synchronised? Yes, that works to the cloud, but would it synchronise back to the Windows PC without internet access?

I'll do some testing.

Graham

I do not have my tablet in with me right now, but if I recall right you have to tag the file as a favorite and then it will keep it up to date when even it can.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard

As for LAN syncing, it needs to connect to the net to know when to sync, but then snycs locally:

Quote:
With LAN syncing, Dropbox will look for the new file on your Local Area Network first, bypassing the need to download the file from Dropbox servers, thus speeding up the syncing process considerably.

LAN sync is an extra advantage for use in locations where computers are networked together over the same router or other local area network.
https://www.dropbox.com/help/137/en
Old 03-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
I do not have my tablet in with me right now, but if I recall right you have to tag the file as a favorite and then it will keep it up to date when even it can.

Yep.. directions:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/87/en
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
I'll do some testing.
I downloaded a text file to my Android tablet using the Dropbox app.

I then disconnected the internet. I still had my local wireless (and wired) network available.
  • I could no longer open that text file through the Dropbox app on the tablet.
  • I was able to open and edit the text file from the Dropbox files cache, using ES File Explorer.
  • Once saved and closed, the file entry in the Dropbox app changed to show 'Waiting to upload'.
  • The file did not synchronise over wifi to my desktop PC.

Interestingly, even after I reconnected the wifi the file didn't synchronise immediately. I had to tap on it again in Dropbox, at which point it got sent.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Ah, marking a file as a favourite. I do that for a few of my important files already, but I've had some issues there as well. Again I need to do some more testing, but I think that the files don't get updated unless Dropbox is running.

So you can't just mark one as a favourite and then expect to have the latest version if you open it with a different app.

And as noted above, this wouldn't work if there was no internet connection, as the tablet wouldn't receive the updated index across the cloud and know to update the local version over wifi.

Graham
Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
Graham
Wizard

Geoff, can you let us know if this is off topic?

I'm not sure if the preference not to use the cloud is because you've got intermittent internet access (in which case this is on topic) or fully related to security concerns (in which case this is off topic).

Graham