Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
How To Turn an iPod Touch into a Moleskine Book

From Wired Blog
Quote:
The iPod Touch makes a great e-book reader, with a large, high-resolution screen and touch navigation.

That's fine, but the little iPod gets uncomfortable to hold after a while, and it lacks the presence of a real book. Imagine seeing an attractive girl (or boy) sitting outside a pavement café, drinking an espresso, smoking a Gauloise and reading a tatty paperback. It's a romantic image which is shattered when you swap the book for a PDA. I decided to disguise my iPod as a book, and if that wasn't pretentious enough, I put it in a modded Moleskine, the notebook of choice for fops and dandies the world over.
Here for more

I have an iPod Touch, but haven't yet used it much for reading. I might give this a try though, looks very good!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Moleskine, the notebook of choice for fops and dandies the world over.
the dangers of notebook snobbery
danger N°1 : getting called a fop or a dandy.

donnageddon : please do post photos when you make your version... and let us know if it works as a pickup scheme

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 06-12-2008 at 06:25 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
There's a category of people who would be more attracted to someone with visible electronics, y'know.

But I've been considering applying wood veneer to my iLiad, after reading the excellent Steampunk thread a while back.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
the dangers of notebook snobbery
danger N°1 : getting called a fop or a dandy.

donnageddon : please do post photos when you make your version... and let us know if it works as a pickup scheme
Well, I doubt anyone would call me a Fop or a Dandy, but if they did, I would hope it would be Dandy, as in "Yankee Doodle"

As for the project, I might try it, but if I do, I may be minus some important digits. Sharp objects (X-acto knives) and I have a history of not getting along.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I've been considering applying wood veneer to my iLiad, after reading the excellent Steampunk thread a while back.

Now THAT would be an excellent project! I could see doing that to the Sony Reader, but the Kindle would look more like a scrap of splintered wood.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Maybe if the Kindle had classy brass buttons (or a reasonable facsimile)?

Here's the steampunk Reader thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=steampunk
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I weep for the eviscerated moleskine.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I did this for my Reader, but probably wouldn't do it for an iPhone or an iPod so those things are often attached to my belt.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I hope Charlie Sorrel doesn't really think this is why he's not getting any dates...

Seriously, dude, go and read from your iPod at Starbucks, and you won't look as lame as you think.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...and moleskine mojo doesn't always work, either.

At Borders again (I know, I know, but darn it, I like the place, I like the people) and today I had my sketchbook (large moleskine cahier) and my phone w/ camera. I'm browsing aimlessly, and notice a very pretty girl. She's curvy, not what anyone would call "thin", but not what anyone but idiotic boys who think the Olson Twins are sexy would call "fat". She's simply gorgeous, in a pink summer dress, sitting in a black leather chair. Black chair, pink dress, and tan skin. Lovely. Her legs are crossed, and her legs are very shapely. The calf muscles look fantastic. One hand in her black hair, the other holding up the book. It's a perfect picture.

Time to work your magic, T. Tell her you're an artist. Show her your Moleskine sketchbook. Ask if you can sit and sketch her, or take her picture.

"Hell no! Are you some kind of voyeur?"

"No. Not at all. I haven't secretly photographed you."

"Oh. Then what's the deal?"

"Just what I said. I'd like try to sketch you - you have a very natural pose and beautiful lines."

"No. That's just... well, it seems creepy. Like I'd end up on the internet or something. Sorry. No."

"You don't have to say you're sorry. I understand, and that's why I always ask first. I'll leave you alone now."

I swear as I walked off, she shuddered.

But guess what, babe. You DID end up on the internet!

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 06-13-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And you probably did, too... as soon as she got home, I'm sure she blogged all about the perv who hit on her at the bookstore (ew). Better hope she didn't secretly photograph you!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I was just sitting there, like totally minding my own business or whatever, you know. And like, it was sooo funny, this totally old guy came up and I swear to god, like wanted to like draw me or whatever, and he was all like you're so pretty, oh you have beautiful lines, whatever that means, so full of fake artsy crap. Too weird. Nice try. Walk away, dude. LUSER!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #13
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I was just sitting there, like totally minding my own business or whatever, you know. And like, it was sooo funny, this totally old guy came up and I swear to god, like wanted to like draw me or whatever, and he was all like you're so pretty, oh you have beautiful lines, whatever that means, so full of fake artsy crap. Too weird. Nice try. Walk away, dude. LUSER!

OK, that was great!

I do have to say that I have met plenty of people by sketching them though. Actually I can't really think of a time I got turned down after I show them my sketchbook. It's best if your sketchbook has other portrait sketches that you have done. That way you can prove that you aren't a perv.

As I do the sketch, I talk to them and get to know them. The trick is you have to sketch pretty fast. I have found out that 99% of them say they would love to be an artist but that they have no talent. I then explain that it's really a matter of just learning the craft--which I believe by the way. Some people are born with a natural talent, but I wasn't. I just stuck with it and hey, what do ya know, 30 years later and I'm pretty passable at it.

Anyway, I have broken artist-ethics and sketched someone just to get a date. But I fess up when out on the date.

I've never been turned down on the sketch part, but plenty turned down on the date part. Having a sketchbook and charcoal doesn't attract the ladies quite as much as having a guitar. Darn it! But it's a really great way to get to know people...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Well I can't always carry my guitar around with me. Have you seen the Scribblings thread, yet?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I did this for my Reader, but probably wouldn't do it for an iPhone or an iPod so those things are often attached to my belt.
You did the moleskine thing for your reader? Or the steampunk thingie?