Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #16
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
I prefer c. It is more elegant, while d is more "heavy" and "aggressive".
I guess an additional check on a real device would be needed ..
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

oops, I meant "c is better than d". I prefer non-bold.
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
and option e: big but not bold.

I prefer this one. And yes, I have to check it on the real device.

On the other hand, I've restored the original menu icon finally, the ~12 pixels saved wouldn't allow to add more icons, so it's better to keep modifications simple.

I will update bitbucket repo with this code in over 15 mins.

Iņigo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clock-e.png
Views:	454
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	57106  

Last edited by Iņigo; 08-24-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #19
dima_tr
Groupie

hmmm, my wife (active user) says that the smaller one is better .. "the big version drives too much attention"

I can say the small font lays on the same line as the battery, 3G and the bucket, while the big one is .. too big

Last edited by dima_tr; 08-24-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #20
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
The font type, size, boldness etc etc is purely personal preference. Maybe a better solution is using a config file.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #21
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
hmmm, my wife (active user) says that the smaller one is better .. "the big version drives too much attention"

I can say the small font lays on the same line as the battery, 3G and the bucket, while the big one is .. too big
I've already pushed the new code to bitbucket if you want to play (option e).

I loaded e) on my DR800 and it looks great.
If anyone is brave enough uncompress attached file, toggle dr800+ v1 to restore IREX firmware, copy popupmenu.dr800+ into _dr800+ folder, toggle dr800+ again to install new components, reboot your device, and finally enjoy your new clock.

Anyway let's restart the poll: a, b, c, d, e?

Btw, a question for DR1000 owners: when in a note, if you select another tab does the note close?
I've been looking at notepad sources and there is something strange there...
Attached Files
File Type: gz popupmenu.dr800+.gz (27.7 KB, 362 views)
Old 08-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #22
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
The font type, size, boldness etc etc is purely personal preference. Maybe a better solution is using a config file.
I prefer not to add configs for such a minor (or even silly ) issue.
Let's include the more popular (anyway, I know how to modify and recompile the code )
Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #23
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
I prefer not to add configs for such a minor (or even silly ) issue.
Let's include the more popular (anyway, I know how to modify and recompile the code )
All right, not a problem for me. (I have already changed the code to my preference )

So I vote for b. And BTW, I have put all the options here so it is easier to compare and vote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clock-a.png
Views:	452
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	57108   Click image for larger version

Name:	clock-b.png
Views:	460
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	57109   Click image for larger version

Name:	clock-c.png
Views:	451
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	57110   Click image for larger version

Name:	clock-d.png
Views:	470
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	57111   Click image for larger version

Name:	clock-e.png
Views:	443
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	57112  
Old 08-25-2010, 01:05 AM   #24
CoolDragon
Addict

I have tried the clock feature on my device, everything looks good except that the clock doesn't update by itself. It does update on a forced refresh such as menu show/hide. The wired thing is that this self refresh works fine on the emulator.

Last edited by CoolDragon; 08-25-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #25
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Btw, a question for DR1000 owners: when in a note, if you select another tab does the note close?
I've been looking at notepad sources and there is something strange there...
No they do not close, you can even have multiple notes open at the same time.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:13 AM   #26
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I have tried the clock feature on my device, everything looks good except that the clock doesn't update by itself. It does update on a forced refresh such as menu show/hide. The wired thing is that this self refresh works fine on the emulator.
I guess the device will go into 'suspend-mode' after 5 seconds and will only 'wake-up' from external events (buttons, stylus). Does it update the clock when switching pages?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:33 AM   #27
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Same here. I'll add a forced refresh this night. You expect this to solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I guess the device will go into 'suspend-mode' after 5 seconds and will only 'wake-up' from external events (buttons, stylus). Does it update the clock when switching pages?
No, it doesn't.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #28
dima_tr
Groupie

label.invalidate (); label.update ();
?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #29
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Same here. I'll add a forced refresh this night. You expect this to solve the problem.
See: \sysd\src\display.c function: parse_gtk_message() line 686 to 692. Putting an GtkEventBox around it with the correct size might give you the desired screen update. Same as it is done in \popupmenu\src\statusbar.c function: add_toolbar_item.
Or construct a specific update message for sysd...
I assume the update currently falls into a category 'too small to update'.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #30
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
See: \sysd\src\display.c function: parse_gtk_message() line 686 to 692. Putting an GtkEventBox around it with the correct size might give you the desired screen update. Same as it is done in \popupmenu\src\statusbar.c function: add_toolbar_item.
Or construct a specific update message for sysd...
I assume the update currently falls into a category 'too small to update'.
I think the answer is in the IREX doc, 4.3.3 Refresh Hooks:
"A simple hook is added to GTK's main loop event handler which triggers a screen update on certain expose events. We only perform an update if the expose event was emitted by a top level window, and if the expose is not the result of some intermediate process (such is the case with X configure events). This results in the minimum number of display updates, but it ignores updates to GtkEntry fields because they are implemented as GdkWindows (which are ignored, if they're not top-level)..."

In our case the GtkLabel is contained in a GtkButton, maybe that's the reason it doesn't refresh.

So I will try a gtk_widget_queue_draw() in first place and if it doesn't work either, I'll try the functions from liberutils (display_utils) [1] or a direct ioctl call [2].

Btw, if any of you haven't fully read that thread is really interesting.

[1] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...59&postcount=8
[2] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...24&postcount=4

Ok, we will see in a few hours.

Iņigo

Tags
devel, dr800+, features