Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Renji
Connoisseur
Renji began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story WiFi, Sony PRS-T1
Which product to buy as Manga reader and ebook reader only.

Hi guys,
Just wanting to know some ideas to get like smartq7, W1060 etc, which is best product to buy that won't hurt the budget mainly will use for reading mobipocket ebooks and manga.
Hope I can get ideas from everyone I know there won't be a majority vote but it's nice to get some ideas. Btw I won't be interested in using it as a video player as I'd like to just use as an ebook reader and have strong battery life.
If not maybe a proper ebook reader like the nook or prs-505 might be best.
Well I hope I hear from everyone who reads this soon.
Renji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, renji, if we haven't done so before..........

Someone will chime in soon, I'm sure with lots of suggestions......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Renji
Connoisseur

Thanks for that desertgrandma can't wait to hear the replies also currently I'm kind of interested in Eee PC T91 kekeke however please give me some advice especially with people who have had experience with them
Old 12-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Blackranger3d
Blackranger3d began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7
Some of my thoughts

SmartQ7

Pros
- price
- can run multiple OS
- can read Non-DRM book files
- screen size
- weight

Cons
- build quality, no problems with mine yet but I have seen a few reports of peoples units dying
- ubuntu, for some this is a huge plus, but for a person with no linux experience it can be a pain. I'm still having huge problems installing stuff
- No Lit reader, a bunch of my ebooks are in lit

Overall
- Great little device for reading, easy to pull it out on the subway and read
- Requires too much time out of the box to get things working (comix still doesn't work)

T91

[B]Pros[B]
- power
- reads any format
- much better multifunction device than Smartq7

Cons
- PRICE! This bad boy is close to $600 (in Toronto).

Overall
- The reviews I've read do not justify this amount of money

Other units I'm thinking of and the reason that I've stayed away so far

viliv S7
- price and avalability in Canada

viliv S10
- not out yet

X200T (tablet)
- size
- 12.1 inch notebook is just to big to use as a mobile ereader.
Blackranger3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Hello Renji.
If you only need your device for reading, wouldn't an e-ink device be better? They have amazing battery life and clear crispy screens, though no colour of course. I can read manga just fine on my prs-505 and my cybook. The 6 inch screen is only a little smaller than a normal manga page, so no problems with legibility and no need for zooming (at least for my eyes). You might also consider an e-ink device with larger screen, but of course they are more expensive.
Do you want to read specifically mobipocket ebooks or can you convert them? Not many devices support those any more. Certainly the sony doesn't. The cybook does, and I think the kindle.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Renji
Connoisseur

I can convert the mobipocket ebook which are not a problem and yea it's mainly for reading. I have heaps of PDF also however it's just a con for some of the ebook readers is that it's way too slow to turn a page or at least that's what I've been seeing in reviews. But then maybe I'm judging the book by it's cover by not giving it a shot, however I wouldn't wanna invest in a e-ink device if is way to slow response time.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
There is the e-ink refresh rate which is the same (or almost the same) on all devices.
Then there is the lag between the push of the button and the start of page turning, which is due to processor speed. I know it can be annoying, but most of us have found it easy to get used to, in that we press the next page button before finishing reading the current page. I know my prs-600 is much faster (almost no lag at all), but the screen is not as clear as on other e-ink devices due to the extra layer of the touchscreen, so not ideal for manga. Ultimately, whether the lag bothers you enough or not, is a matter of personal preference.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
hamfitz
Enthusiast
hamfitz began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre, sony prs 650, nook
I have an aluratek libre and the native image file support is good. It will display image files easily and you don't have to convert anything like the kindle or sony (I've tried 505 and touch). Honestly though I use my psp for manga because the i like the lcd brightness and it also has color.
hamfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
I got SmartQ7 + fw5.2 + comix.
Have done manga and comics with no problems.
I can read everything so far except proprietary formats like LIT and Repligo...
PDFs work fine too, even heavy vector graphics, and scans have zero probs.
Of course it's not as "sharp" as an ereader, but I read it in the dark, in bed, without waking my wife; or I read it in the day NOT under sun.

if you're a reading-in-the-park kind of person, only an ereader (for now) will satisfy you.
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
Hi guys,
Just wanting to know some ideas to get like smartq7, W1060 etc, which is best product to buy that won't hurt the budget mainly will use for reading mobipocket ebooks and manga.
Hope I can get ideas from everyone I know there won't be a majority vote but it's nice to get some ideas. Btw I won't be interested in using it as a video player as I'd like to just use as an ebook reader and have strong battery life.
If not maybe a proper ebook reader like the nook or prs-505 might be best.
Well I hope I hear from everyone who reads this soon.
You can buy jetBook-Lite for Mobi books and manga:
See video how it looks below
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68997
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote