Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Converting online html ebook with Calibre

I'd like to convert this online book:

http://www.well.com/user/jct/courage.htm

If it's possible it's probably been covered elsewhere, so I'd appreciate the link.
Unfortunately I've read so much on all this that nothing is going in at the moment.

Many thanks,

John
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
wygit
Enthusiast
wygit doesn't litterwygit doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
OK, just open the link in your browser, select "File, Save As...".
In the browse dialog, make a new folder, named whatever you want the book called, and select it, and save as "Web Page complete".
(which saves all the images and stuff)

Now Zip that folder, and drag the zip file into Calibre and convert it.

Works for me.
wygit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Do you have Firefox as your browser? I believe there's an add-in named BookIt that will take any webpage and convert it to an LRF.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wygit View Post
OK, just open the link in your browser, select "File, Save As...".
In the browse dialog, make a new folder, named whatever you want the book called, and select it, and save as "Web Page complete".
(which saves all the images and stuff)

Now Zip that folder, and drag the zip file into Calibre and convert it.

Works for me.
Thank you, I did this and can read the book on Calibre. However when I click on any of the book section in my reader I get the message: "You can navigate to this internet address: http://www.well.com/user/jct/masson.html"

So it seems I'm not able to put it on my CyBook Gen3, and am tied to the PC.

Regards

John
Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
online book to ebook

Suggest you take a look at:

http://www.httrack.com/

This will create a local copy of the file and its dependent files on your computer.

You can then use an html editor like Kompozer to remove any remaining references to the web. I have been working on some book at the center for military history us army. When I use htt track, it downloads the whole book by following links, since each chapter is an independent html file.

When it is done there is an independent copy on my computer and I only need to point to the starting page in calibre to make an ebook.

But at the bottom of each chapter there is a link, return to center for military history which needs to eliminated manually, since it is not inside the ebook but out of it.

To make life easy on yourself, it is worthwhile to look over the proposed ebook online and note down any links like the one mentioned above that would take you out of it. In htt track options you can exclude links and these should be excluded so that you copy only what you want and not the whole website as it follows every link.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Suggest you take a look at:

http://www.httrack.com/

This will create a local copy of the file and its dependent files on your computer.

You can then use an html editor like Kompozer to remove any remaining references to the web. I have been working on some book at the center for military history us army. When I use htt track, ....would take you out of it. In htt track options you can exclude links and these should be excluded so that you copy only what you want and not the whole website as it follows every link.
Thanks, I'm genning up on this now (slowly) and will revert when any query arises.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
andavane
Zealot

mrmikel:
I followed the instruction to install the program at http://www.httrack.com/

It's working and I'm delighted !

Best wishes

John