Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Battery advice. To charge all the time or let it run down?

Some other electronic gadgets suggest that you let the gadget completely run down before recharging and some recommend that you keep them continually topped up. Does anyone know what is best for the 505 to prolong the battery life or does it not make a difference either way?

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
Some other electronic gadgets suggest that you let the gadget completely run down before recharging and some recommend that you keep them continually topped up. Does anyone know what is best for the 505 to prolong the battery life or does it not make a difference either way?

Natalie
There has been some discussion on the LithIon battery on this PRS700 thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32980

Hope it's of help.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Thanks so much for the link and it really explains it all. I will be charging less, more often for sure and hope for a long life with the battery.

Natalie
loving her 505!
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'd recommend reading this page:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone.htm

I've seen so many true and half-true and plain false stories told about batteries, it is hard to keep track of what is what. Plus there are many different types of batteries, and different batteries require a different kind of care for use, charging, and long-term storage.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
I'd recommend reading this page:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone.htm

I've seen so many true and half-true and plain false stories told about batteries, it is hard to keep track of what is what. Plus there are many different types of batteries, and different batteries require a different kind of care for use, charging, and long-term storage.
Excellent article, I hope it becomes the standard reference. I'll use it's suggestions for my lithium-ion battery. Thanks acidzebra.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Awesome.
I have found that if I charge a LiPoly battery frequently/intermittently, the battery life is drastically reduced. Has happened on my Mac, has happened on my cellphone.
Once I "completely" discharge and fully charge again, normality is restored.

Now I know it's not actually the battery life, but the "fuel gauge" that's misinterpreted by the device. So it thinks I'm running out, but I'm not actually.

I guess I'll try to keep doing what I do ... charge when I get below 10%.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote