Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Firmware build 708

Announced on Bookeen blog.

I've installed it -- hope it does indeed fix the battery issues with 685, as specified.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Thanks.

Quote:
The firmware 1.1 previous build had experienced some battery problems for several devices. Build 708 will fix that regression and also provide you with the whole version of firmware 1.1 with a little plus: hyphenation support in mobipocket files. Also, the author's name will now appear in the header of your book if indicated in the book's description.
Humm... Still no page number, folder support
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks to Bookeen for being so responsive in fixing the power bug!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks to Bookeen for being so responsive in fixing the power bug!
Are you joking? Responsive? Responsive is fixing it in a couple of days.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Gosh, you are a cynic, Tommy. Look on the bright side for once - it's fixed! Well, hopefully it is, anyway. We'll see. The response has been a heck of a lot better than when Sony messed up the battery meter in the initial firmware upgrade for the PRS-500. It took them about 6 months to fix that.

It's probably not realistic to track diagnose a bug like this in "a couple of days". You wouldn't have been happy, I'm sure, if they'd rushed out a "quick fix" and broken something else in the process. Far better to make sure that it's done properly and thoroughly tested.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I'll take Harry's side on this one. I don't think the time taken to fix the battery drain issue (assuming that it is fixed) has been unreasonable. I had no problems dropping down to 538 in the interim.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's probably not realistic to track diagnose a bug like this in "a couple of days". You wouldn't have been happy, I'm sure, if they'd rushed out a "quick fix" and broken something else in the process. Far better to make sure that it's done properly and thoroughly tested.
Why do you believe it is properly tested? All empirical evidence points to that Bookeen does not test the software properly.

I can compare with Archos that release bug fixes much faster than Bookeen.

I would say that it is good that they fixed it but they should have introduced the bug in the first place and a I refuse to believe the work to fix it from the released version was more then a couple of days.

They probably fixed it some time ago but it was not until a lot of people asked for the downgrade that they released an update.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
Hanselda
Enthusiast
Hanselda began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook, Sony PRS 600
I am also unhappy about the progress of the firmwire. They removed or screwed some essential functinos, while trying to add non-essential functions, meanwhile making nasty bugs.
Hanselda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselda View Post
I am also unhappy about the progress of the firmwire. They removed or screwed some essential functinos, while trying to add non-essential functions, meanwhile making nasty bugs.
The Build 708 seems rather clean. Granted, I wish it were adding in a better Library, one which supported *REAL* folder support, multiple-file HTML support, better PDF handling, CHM support and all the other things people have asked for, but the install went well on my Cybook Gen3 - and I've got one of the older Gen3s, the kind with only 64MB RAM. I'm happy for now...

Of course, I'd be *happier* if they'd finally release source for the OS and support to allow for a user-supplied splash-screen. The OS appears to allow for splash-screen-only updating, but, as I'm not a Linux hacker, I can't figure out how to do so.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if it was me with a Gen3, I'd be pleased to have this new firmware in a timely manor. I don't think the time it took to get this one out is unreasonable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I'm happy with it as well. I'm glad that they decided to put the fix out on a separate firmware, instead of bundling it in with one that has increased features.

And while the power drain was noticeable and inconvenient to me, it wasn't so awful that it rendered the device unuseable - I just had to make sure to put it on the charger every night.

The turnaround (again, assuming that it's fixed, which I won't feel comfortable stating as a fact until I've used it for about a week) feels realistic to me- much faster than a lot of annoying firmware issues I found with updates on my old Treo.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:36 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
The upgrade went smoothly on my very-first-batch Cybook as well.

Small note:

The SD card used for the upgrade does not need to be empty; you can use the card with your books on it. Just put the update_kernel file in the root of the drive (where the eBooks, Pictures & Music directories are) and the upgrade will work just fine, without touching the rest of the stuff on the card.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
Joerg_Mosthaf
Connoisseur
Joerg_Mosthaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2i, iPhone
Yep, went smoothly here on my second generation Gen3, too. I held down the Enter button and released it after a few seconds and it went straight to the "Upgrading Firmware..." screen.
I actually like the new hyphenation - even though it doesn't show up very often at my font size (3rd smallest).
I'll see if my battery life has changed
Joerg_Mosthaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Well, The new firmware has not fixed any of the issues with PDF's so that issue is still pending.

The battery life will probably take a few days to test properly.

As for the earlier comments, Personally I feel that while bookeen has been reasonably good in getting firmware revisions out, they have not been very good in testing them, and when releasing the fixes, not very clear about what they broke in the fixes along with what they fixed.

And not to mention, not testing out the older firmware on the new hardware. While it could be argued that they could not be expected to test old firmware on new hardware, it should be logical, when their standard response to problems is to roll back to older firmware, which does not work .
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote