Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
rainydaygirl
rainydaygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet
can I set up more than 1 kobo ereader (for different people) on my computer?

The other day I bought 2 Kobo mini ereaders, one for me and one for my sister. She wants me to set hers up for her since she reckons she's a total technotard, even moreso than me. My question/s is (or should I say, are)...

1) can I set up multiple readers on a single computer? (And will I end up with 2 different desktop icon thingies, 1 for each person, coz of the 2 person setup).

and even more importantly

2) if i do set up hers for her, will I have to set it up again on her home computer so she can recharge it, load books etc or should I just wait and go over to her house and set up from scratch on her computer.

Thanks in advance for any help as I'e been unable to find any info for multiple person/readers on the kobo website.

Last edited by rainydaygirl; 08-03-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
rainydaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
You could set up via wifi and avoid the desktop altogether, then there would be no problems. The Kobo desktop application is entirely optional, you don't need it to charge the reader, load books, upgrade firmware, or anything else that I can think of. The only time it is really needed is if you don't have wifi.

(I have never used the Kobo desktop, so maybe someone else will know of a use for it that I can't think of).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
if you want separate accounts, just set it up on her computer. if she wants to use it to load books, it will be obviously easier this way. she can load books other ways, but if she's not good at computers, she might not like them.

it partly depends where she intends to buy/obtain books from....kobo bookstore only, multiple ebook stores, borrow from library, download classic books from places like gutenburg.org??? If she only ever plans to buy from kobo, cause that is convenient, having the desktop app will be handy. if she plans to do other things, it might be less useful.

as GeoffR says, for setup, over wifi is simple. you may still want to put the desktop app on her computer for her convenience afterwards though. no point at all to use your computer for both setups, unless a) she can't manage to buy her own books (seriously lacking any tech skills) b) you want to share an account and all books and use one credit card.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
It's also possible to have multiple Kobo or ADE accounts on one Windows computer by creating a new Windows user account for each Kobo or ADE account.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
It's also possible to have multiple Kobo or ADE accounts on one Windows computer by creating a new Windows user account for each Kobo or ADE account.
I've done this on my Mac, too. It works fine.

Quote:
{...}technotard{...}
Could you please not? Thanks. And enjoy your Mini. By all accounts, it's a great little reader. I agree with the advice you've already received - setting them each up by wifi is probably the easiest thing. But if this isn't working for some reason, separate accounts will take care of the Desktop connection with minimal fuss. Maybe keep a record of her Kobo account name/password, if she's likely to forget/misplace such things.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember, since Kobo Desktop will resync itself from the cloud, as long as you don't mind the few minutes needed to redownload content to it you could get away with a single install of Kobo Desktop and just do a signout from it, and then sign back in with a different account. (Head Icon; 2nd from the right at the top, and select signout).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember, since Kobo Desktop will resync itself from the cloud, as long as you don't mind the few minutes needed to redownload content to it you could get away with a single install of Kobo Desktop and just do a signout from it, and then sign back in with a different account. (Head Icon; 2nd from the right at the top, and select signout).
Yes. I have a Touch linked with one Kobo store account, and a Glo linked with another. "logging out" as one Kobo user and "logging in" as another is pretty easy (pretty much what Peter says) without even closing down the Desktop software. It certainly does not require separate Windows user profiles.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
Yes. I have a Touch linked with one Kobo store account, and a Glo linked with another. "logging out" as one Kobo user and "logging in" as another is pretty easy (pretty much what Peter says) without even closing down the Desktop software. It certainly does not require separate Windows user profiles.
True, but if you have a lot of Kobo books it can take quite a while for the desktop to set up after logging out. For me, it is easier to use a seperate Windows user profile for different accounts.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote