Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #46
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would prefer cheaper e-book or better if it is for free. I do love to read but I am a budget conscious. But of course, I won't go for a cheap but not a quality e-book.
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #47
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
As far as assuming a less expensive book would be lower quality, I don't think most people use price to gauge that when there are generally book reviews available.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #48
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm doing an awful lot of re-reads of favorite authors these days, while waiting for a couple of new releases (agency books), also by favorite authors who I know won't disappoint. For a book club, I'm currently reading an indy book, a mystery - it has a zillion 5-star reviews, but I just can't get engaged with it. I find I don't really care whodunit, and the detective, rather than being engaging (a Buddhist monk turned cop turned PI) is annoyingly superficial.

The only indy books I find I really enjoy are by authors who started out with publishers (Courtney Milan ftw) and went indy.

But agency isn't any predictor of quality either. Either I've just hit a dry streak, or even the agency books I've purchased have been either depressing (I'm awful sick of vampires and post-apocalyptic futures, be they never so lyrically written) or outright boring.

so - I re-read. If you look at my ticker below, you'll see that I have a huge book habit, but that's money staying in my pocket.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #49
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
No. I'm currently reading an indie series now with each book being $1.99 and it's pretty much one of the best things I've ever read. I pretty much only read indies at this point and my favorite authors are $5 and under.
Can I ask what the book series is? I'm always looking for something new and good.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #50
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
As far as assuming a less expensive book would be lower quality, I don't think most people use price to gauge that when there are generally book reviews available.
I think people are rating cheap books more generously - probably including me - so that's not always a good guide.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #51
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Some of my favorite reads this year have been under $3-free.
I have so far read 2 of the 5 books in Shayne Parkinson's "Promises to Keep" series, also enjoyed a couple of books I bought for under $2 from Carina Press.

I don't think price really is an accurate indicator of whether the content is a keeper. I've paid over $10 for books I wound up wishing I had not spent the money on.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #52
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I don't think price really is an accurate indicator of whether the content is a keeper. I've paid over $10 for books I wound up wishing I had not spent the money on.
Same here.

For me, it is about the cost and the expectation. For an author new to me, I'm not going to want to shell out more than a mass market paperback copy and will be tickled at a freebie to judge them by. For authors I like, I may be willing to pay more to read it NOW. But those are rare. Right now, there are only a couple of authors who's series books I look forward to buying and reading the day it's out. (Right now, it's only Jim Butcher, Frank Tuttle, James McCreet and Will Thomas)

Otherwise, I can wait a while and see what the price is when I feel like starting the series, or jumping back in if it's been a while.

And for those book I do pay full price for, ($12.99 and up) I expect the author to deliver. I hate to find I found myself paying full price for a book in a series only to find out the author has lost interest and the book is mostly filler for the next book, or just outright crap. Or that they didn't have someone check it out to make sure the format was okay, no scanning artifacts and at least a spell checker run on it.

When I pay full price, and feel that the author is calling it in and is only after a paycheck, then I quit, no matter what the price.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #53
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
There are no reasons other than pure greed for the ebook version (ESPECIALLY backlist) to ever cost as much as even the mass-market paperback version ($2-3 less, due to the lack of any physical manufacturing, transfer [well, there's *some*, but it amounts to well under a penny], warehousing costs, or needed space on the shelf at the storefront), nor for it to EVER, under ANY circumstances, be of any lower editing quality.
I couldn't agree more!

My price range is $7-8 for a book by a favorite author, new books $5-6 maximum.
As to covers, I liken this to album art, if something grabs my attention or not.
To continue on in the music vein, part of my reason for my price range is simple. Most of the books I buy I would read only once. However with music I will pay $8-$10 for an entire CD I will listen to numerous times. I just can't justify the pricing variant with my strict budget.

Last edited by Blue2u; 08-26-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: hit reply too quickly :o
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #54
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Can I ask what the book series is? I'm always looking for something new and good.
Oh, i'm almost embarrassed to admit what it is lol. But i will say that if you don't like pulp sci-fi about alien invasions, don't bother

The description makes it sound far more corny than it actually is.

Beyond Armageddon by Anthony DeCosmo-

"Earth is invaded by a collection of alien animals--both predators and prey--as well as extraterrestrial militias of varying technological capabilities. Governments fall; cities are overrun. The landscape grows wild, alien forces attempt to carve out zones of control, and humanity no longer sits atop the food chain. Trevor Stone finds himself alone and afraid in this chaotic new world when he meets a strange old man who grants three gifts. First, a well-stocked estate perfect for surviving the initial invasion. Second, the ability to control the fiercest breeds of dogs. Third, access to the genetic memories of mankind. It seems he is all part of a plan; a plan that has set 'rules' to this invasion and one that blurs the line between hero and villain."

I read all 5 books in a row, I couldn't put them down. The books aren't perfect but I found them utterly compelling and I was in tears by the end. Against all odds/last stand scenarios always get my waterworks flowing lol.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #55
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
I love free or very cheap books. I often find them on amazon.com or at the used book store around the corner from home.

I wish I could say I will not pay more than X for a book, but the sad fact is I will. When one of my favorite author comes out with the latest in a series, I may hem and haw for a few days but will pay big money for a book I have every reason to believe will satisfy. "If a movie in a theater costs me $10 and up for two hours of entertainment," my thought process goes, "then surely a book that will take me several days to finish is worth $20-30!" If my personal demand for material is high, the market is wise to supply at a high price.

Having said that, those who don't have such a claim on my loyalty need to think of a few things. First, if two books appeal to me equally, the cheaper one gets bought. So either lower your price or market your book such that I hear about it but not the other. Second, if two books are priced the same and appeal to me equally, I'm going to want to sample the text to see how it fares in terms of misspellings, typos, grammar, etc.; provide a suitable sample to show off, and don't provide one if you have something to hide. Third, with Kindle books I've been burned by publishers that don't take the time to format their book properly (e.g. active links from TOC, page numbers, jump ahead a chapter, etc.). A tip-off in this regard is a "sample" that cuts off shortly after the copyright page. HINT: I'm reading the sample to see if I'll like the book, not to read your dedication and table of contents.

tl;dr - I may pay top-dollar for "a" book, but the question you want to ask is what will I pay for your book?
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #56
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
I've been mostly reading free to 2.99 books the last couple months.

A lot of books I would be buying are over priced (over 9.99) so I've been giving the freebie books a shot and found quite a few I liked and went on to buying more from the authors.

I don't equate cheap ebooks to low quality. I see that they are new authors and have to charge low prices to get people to buy. I do read reviews for the ones that aren't free to see if it's worth it to buy.

So thanks to the greedy publishers I'm reading more just not known authors due to the free to low prices. I'm getting to where I don't even want to spend 9.99 for a book.

With the higher priced books I've been waiting for them to arrive at my library or decrease in price whichever comes first.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #57
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I do believe that the pricing models are going to need to change to keep up trends.

For me the initial draw in saving up for an e-reader, was that I could feed it quite cheaply. And for the most part, I am finding that to be true. I was buying paperback public domain books for $3-$6 prior to PG and MR and our lovely calibre. I still revel at the massive collections lovingly edited public domain works, and the idea that I can customize my books with my own cover via calibre.... I'm quite easy to entertain

Now, if I want "something new" I either use the library, or check out one of the Kindle freebies I downloaded, or for a special treat, will go to one of the DRM-free bookstores to amuse myself.

For there to be an e-book that will entice me to part ways with over $7-$8 dollars for *one* fiction book, it would have to offer me a lot. At the moment, that's my budget for 2-4 romance novels if my library queue is slow. I was raised before the days of instant everything, and texting.... even possessing 2 e-readers, I can wait
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #58
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Most I have paid so far is $18.99 for the enhanced version of 11/22/63 late last year. Worth every penny, it was a favorite author going in, and my favorite read of last year.

I'm going to test my limit for a plain jane ebook with the upcoming J.K. Rowling offering, currently at $17.99. Still undecided.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #59
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #60
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Once e-publishing gets ahead of traditional print ebooks will be same price as a hardcover. Bastards.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, chick lit-, e-book, kindle, reading, self published