Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
kenjennings
Edge User

It's YMMV, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
. . .I know the full-size eDGe USB ports are powered because I charge my phone with them sometimes, and would allow 4 connections at once. That would solve the issue with the keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Yes, but they're not as fully powered as some other devices. There's not enough power for my external USB hard drive nor even my SD card reader (just looks like a regular USB flash drive). So, I think it's a great suggestion, but you may very well have to test the combination of hub/devices.
It's a Your Mileage May Vary issue depending on the host and the type and number of things being hooked up to USB. Multiple devices plugged into a USB port reduces the overall power to each device. Most portable devices with USB ports do not output maximum voltage. Some desktops do.

A USB hard drive I have only works on my m90 notebook if NOTHING else is plugged into ANY other USB port. If something else is plugged in then another USB port must be used for power for the drive. My desktop computer doesn't have an issue with the number of things plugged in at the same time.

The Big Edge seems to do pretty good (here for me) in this regard. Everything I have that can charge from USB works fine with the edge whether the edge is plugged into power or not. A keyboard wouldn't be expected to draw more power than a mechanical, spinning hard drive; I've had no problems with a USB keyboard or flash drive on the edge with it on or off the power supply. (haven't tried a hard drive, yet.)

I'd be inclined to suspect the smaller Pocket Edge might not do as well with the USB power output.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #17
dontpanic
Edge User

Alefor,

Good review. I will pop in and say that both types of chargers will work with both devices. The Pocket eDGe power supply will charge the EE, only not nearly as fast. The EE power supply will charge the PE in half the time that the PE supply takes.

Tom

Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #18
fgruber
Edge User

Can we buy this Pocket eDGe AC adapter? I could use a smaller version to carry with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
Alefor,

Good review. I will pop in and say that both types of chargers will work with both devices. The Pocket eDGe power supply will charge the EE, only not nearly as fast. The EE power supply will charge the PE in half the time that the PE supply takes.

Tom

Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #19
jsfiller
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
Can we buy this Pocket eDGe AC adapter? I could use a smaller version to carry with me.
Yes. Look in accessories.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #20
borisb
Edge User

I checked the Store, and the same part number is listed for the AC adapter under both the enTourage eDGe Accessories and Pocket eDGe Accessories... Presumably this is the larger adapter.

Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #21
fgruber
Edge User

exactly. The one in the accessories section seems to refer to the big one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I checked the Store, and the same part number is listed for the AC adapter under both the enTourage eDGe Accessories and Pocket eDGe Accessories... Presumably this is the larger adapter.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
jsfiller
Edge User

Quote:
Oh. Hmmmmmmmm I guess I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.

Last edited by jsfiller; 11-25-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo

Old 11-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #23
borisb
Edge User

No, don't do that! I had to check really really closely and double check multiple times to be sure they were same/different. At first glance you wouldn't be able to tell for sure

Old 11-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #24
goodspeech
Edge User

I have the PE and find it hard to write with the stylus. There is a delay between actual formation of the letters and their appearence on the screen. I do not have the problem when I use the note taking app found in the app store for entourage. Is this a common problem?

Old 11-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #25
HardBall
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodspeech View Post
I have the PE and find it hard to write with the stylus. There is a delay between actual formation of the letters and their appearence on the screen. I do not have the problem when I use the note taking app found in the app store for entourage. Is this a common problem?
Are you referring to the difference between the e-ink screen and the TFT screen? There would certainly be a difference in refresh rate between the two.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #26
LP8
Edge User

I have the same problem with note-taking delay on my PE but don't have an EE so I thought it was probably just a universal Edge issue (or even e-reader issue). I did start using the unlined version of the journal paper because I read somewhere in here that might help with refresh delay issues, but in my experience it's not really a noticeable difference. I wish the note-taking were more fluid and that there was handwriting recognition, and that the stylus could be used on the tablet side with Word and Excel, etc. . . . what I really need is a full-blown tablet PC -- I just had unrealistic expectations. All those Microsoft Courier concept tease videos have totally ruined me. Sigh.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #27
borisb
Edge User

I finally got my very own PE on Thursday this past week I’ve been playing with it the last few days and am ready to give my own EE-to-PE comparison.

Overall, I think the PE is simply fantastic – I just love it. I love the size and its portability. While it might not be as fast as dedicated 7 tablets, or as light as a 6 kindle, the PE gives me a multifunction device that can do so very many things (music, radio, podcasts, photos, ebooks, Kindle, Kobo, B&N, Borders, Google Maps, notes/grocery lists, email, news reader, web browsing, YouTube, IM, calendar, games, clock, weather, alarm, etc.) in one convenient package.

Here are the specifics, as I jotted them down:
- very nice packaging (all recycleable)
- exactly the size, etc., as I had originally imagined a mini-eDGe in a forum discussion back in July
- very solidly built, very “cute
- better “Getting Started sheet provided
- power/buttons/USB now on bottom/top rather than left/right edges
- I noticed that the PE doesn’t charge if the AC adapter is plugged into the mic/headphone plug…
- interior edges now rounded
- stylus is very easy to remove now, but won’t fall out by itself
- new setup wizard is really nice
- registration was a bit of an issue as enTourage has changed the password requirements since I first registered at the start of the year. I had to change my enTourage password via the website first before I could continue registration.
- onscreen keyboard is smallish compared to the EE, but responds well. My accuracy was pretty much 100%
- optical trackpad easier to use than the jumpy and overly sensitive trackball on the EE
- no wifi/bluetooth hardware switch (pressing and hold the Rotate button and pick “Airplane Mode instead.
- the Gelaskin I bought applied with no problems. Hard to tell it’s an electronic gadget - looks more like a journal/diary, or paperback with a jacket
- eink side seems higher contrast and very crisp, and the 16 shades of gray vs the 8 on the EE is noticeable in image quality. Ink lag time is about the same or slightly longer – noticeable even on blank background. This is a different eInk screen so I imagine enTourage needs to optimize the code as they did in the past for issues on the EE.
- Reader size slightly smaller than paperback novel for amount of text displayed. Very pleasant for reading.
- PDFs need to reflow in order to be readable on the Reader. Technical articles (multi-column, tables & figures) are far too tiny to read, and panning too awkward when zoomed. Landscape would not help too much as landscape width on the PE is equal to the portrait width on the EE. EE remains king for professional and academic use.
- while the 6 Journal is cramped compared to the 9.7 screen on the EE, writing short notes works just fine. Very similar in size and use as those little flip notepads you see TV detectives using.
- LCD side is bright and crisp. The screen has a rougher texture than the EE (the EE seems like glass by comparison)
- LCD screen real estate seems about 75% that of the EE (in terms of being able to put widgets on the home screen)
- overall the PE is responsive, about the same as the EE
- speaker quality is amazing! Richer and much more bass than the larger EE. Makes an excellent music/radio player, especially in upside-down V configuration (i.e., speakers pointing up).
- camera quality is decent, although video seems to pixelate a lot
- I like to have the PE in “upside down V configuration on my desk/coffee table/nightstand (speakers up, LCD forward and rotated landscape, eReader screen at the back). This makes it easy to have it plugged into AC, and have a USB memory stick inserted.
- to me, it seems like a perfect holiday stocking-stuffer!
- the PE power light blinks every three seconds when in “sleep. If it’s not blinking, it means an app is preventing it from “sleep mode (usually an app that offers notifications or background syncing that disregards the “request to sleep from the OS) and only the LCD has been turned off. Great way to verify the device is actually in power saving mode.
- battery life seems to be shorter than my EE, although I haven't been able to quantify it because my use so far has varied wildly from extremely heavy to extremely light. 8 hours seems to be a reasonable figure, which goes up if you put it to sleep when possible and even longer if you can turn off wifi when it's really not needed.

I definitely feel the PE is an excellent device to have around, even if you already have the larger eDGe. Likewise, if you’re a student or professional, I really think the larger eInk screen is a must for note taking and dealing with technical PDFs.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #28
HardBall
Edge User

Quote:
I finally got my very own PE on Thursday this past week I’ve been playing with it the last few days and am ready to give my own EE-to-PE comparison.

... ...
Thanks, boris;

Great review; just cements my idea that PE is not going to be adequate for me; anything short of the EE would be a disaster for academic purposes.

I wish that Entourage would design a 12" e-ink screen in the full size EE, it seems to have sufficient space in the chassis of the device; that would make it unparalleled in the academic/professional world among e-readers and tablets.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #29
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
- I noticed that the PE doesn’t charge if the AC adapter is plugged into the mic/headphone plug…
I'm so glad that someone else 'tried' this, too ...especially, to find out it was Boris...