Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
HardBall
Edge User

Arrow Next HW refresh fo full-sized Edge?

Hello,

I'm getting pretty close to purchasing some kind of e-reader that is versatile enough to do a few other things. The Edge is a pretty natural fit for my needs, and is one of my final choices.

Of my other options, Ipad (almost certainly yearly release), Nook Color (just released), Adam tablet (supposed to release this winter, if they don't run into problems), I have a reasonable handle on the release time frame. The Edge is the only one that I don't have a good idea about the next hardware refresh would be.

I want to avoid getting a device that would be soon outdated and missing performance and feature. Although pocket Edge just got released, I'm not sure if that is actually a replacement or a different line of products. Does anyone here have a good insight?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
kenjennings
Edge User

It is a different line of product. They both run the same apps. Call it the little brother to the bigger, full-sized, original edge. The original is not obsolete, it's just a matter of size preference for some.

Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, HardBall

enTourage has only been shipping product since late February this year, so there's inadequate data to identify a trend. They have not announced what or when the next big thing is.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
HardBall
Edge User

Thanks for the replies;

So would you guys say it is likely that the full-sized edge would not be replaced in quite some time. I just don't want to make a purchase and then find out soon after that I would be missing out on some significant feature/performance/weight-reduction of the reader.

After doing some research, I found that the eDGe definitely has its areas of strengths, all of which I very much appreciate. Although there are also three areas of key weaknesses:
  1. A meagre (comparatively with amazon and BN) selection on e-books from on-line store
  2. Lack of direct access to android market place
  3. Weight and size (in relation to the screen dimensions)

For (1), most of what I read are technical literature not found in any book store, and I'm not a huge recreational reader; so it's a not a big issue. For (2), I can easily install most of the android apps myself, at the cost a slight bit convenience; so that's not a deal breaker either.

But I really wish that Entourage can cut this device to under 2lb if possible. The current weight is a little too much to be carrying the device everywhere without noticing the extra heft; this model is firmly in 10-11" netbooks' weight range. Also the dimension is slightly larger than the 9.7 inch screen would suggest, if it can loose some of the borders and slim down a little in terms of thickness, it would feel much better to carry around in one hand.

If there is a HW update that can really address the weight and size issue, that would make this device, without question, the choice for a e-reader. Right now it seems that a device like the nook color would provide a good fraction of the functionality, plus the much easier load. So I am still vascillating among these several choices.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
kenjennings
Edge User

The current case design implies a full-sized version that supports 3G connectivity.
I'm perfectly happy with WiFi and would not consider another model with 3G a "replacement" for the current model.

Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Bear in mind that the on-line store is only a fraction of the books available. You can buy "Adobe Digital Editions" books from Sony, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, and a host of other smaller sellers and read them on the eInk side. You can also read all Amazon books on the eDGe using the Kindle for Android app. Of all the ereaders on the market, the eDGe is perhaps the one with the greatest number of books you can read on it.

The app market issue is indeed a pain but this could change at any time of Google's choosing. If you're comfortable with aquiring apps and install them, then it's no big deal.

The size and weight are a common complaint. You have the option of the Pocket eDGe of course. The difference between the eDGe and other ereaders is that it's a book form factor, which means you don't hold it with one hand any more than you'd hold a college textbook with one hand. The apparent complaint about weight quickly disappears when you actually start using it "naturally". The wide bezels you'll quickly find have the benefit of protecting the screen from pressure and cracking as could be likely if your thumbs were to rest on the screen itself.

One thing to remember about competitors like the color nook is that a back lit colour screen, while indeed pretty to the eyes, will also be far less comfortable on the eyes for extended reading than an eInk screen.

If you're looking for an ereader, perhaps a dedicated ereader will suit you better. Not a problem But if you want a dual-function device, with incredible flexibility of content and ways of using it, not to mention the easy annotation and note-taking capabilities, then the eDGe, and the little Pocket eDGe, currently standalone as a great choice.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

As for future models, I take it you realize that even if enTourage came out with a better model tomorrow, that within a year it would be superceded by yet a better model, and the year after that a better model still. This happens with every device, and a wise purchaser tries to get the best available at the time, or perhaps waits a month until the new model becomes available. For the eDGe, the large and Pocket eDGes are what's currently available with no indication yet from enTourage of a "next" model.

Having said that, the current eDGe really is quite excellent and very useable. The one thing it can't yet do that many people want is landscape on the eInk side and this is purely a software issue that enTourage is working on.

Of course, if you wait 5 years, you'll probably have an eDGe that is 0.5 lbs, 1/4" thick, has 100 TB capacity, has instantaneous network connection speeds, can play holographic HD movies in ultra high def (streamed, of course), and responds instantly to voice command alone True, I'm being silly, but you get my drift

Last edited by borisb; 11-23-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
alefor
Edge User

HardBall:

I understand your dilemmas and concerns about size/weight and updates. The others have responded to this well, and I agree fully. Let me give you one algorithm for your decision making.

1. When buying an eReader, and considering the eDGe, you first have to consider whether or not you need to do annotations on the books or pdf's that you read. If you consider annotations to be important, then there is nothing else on the market that will do the job, really. Reading pdf's on the Pocket eDGe is OK, but unless the file does "reflow" well (and most of mine do not) it is tough to read for a long time on the Pocket eDGe. Size and weight are terrific.

2. If you do not have to annotate books/pdf's, then you have lots of choices. Then you have to decide between eInk and an LCD screen (or its many variants). Some people can read an LCD screen without difficulty for long periods. The eDGe is a delight to use because you can easily go back and forth between reading and doing other tasks like web surfing, and email. But you should also consider the iPad, the Kindle, the Nook, etc. I found that the Kindle does not do well with pdf files. Thats why I gave my Kindle away. As stated above, all of these devices (eDGe, iPad) have software to enable the Kindle and Nook books to be read. There is no shortage of books.

Thats how I would go about making the decision.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
jsfiller
Edge User

I had the same concerns you do (this happened to me with another product: I bought it 3 weeks before it was superseded, even after I had asked, “Hey! Do you have a new version coming out? And was told, “No, no, no!), so about a month ago, I asked the question to support. I was told they don’t have any plans to release a new hardware version for at least the next 6 months (5 months now). I was told the only thing they have planned to come out is a 3G version (which I, at least, thought was the PE, but that doesn’t have 3G capability as far as I know).

I am comfortable, given how much work is going into the continued development of the EE, that we don’t have to worry about new hardware for a while. But who knows. I could be wrong.

Last edited by jsfiller; 11-23-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
jsfiller
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
I found that the Kindle does not do well with pdf files. Thats why I gave my Kindle away.
The kindle 3 is MUCH better with PDFs than previous versions of the Kindle. When I need to read a PDF, I rotate the screen 90 degrees (so I don't have to scroll left and right), and I have no problems. With the Kindle 2, which I had briefly, there was a significant, although not unbearable, delay in going to the next page. That is no longer the case. I have found that reading a PDF on Kindle 3 is about the same as reading a book (you can even annotate PDFs now). I just need to do it sideways (no "that's what she said" jokes please).

Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Gunnerp245
Edge User

@hardball

As to installing apps without access to the apps store, both EE and PE have android version 1.6.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfiller View Post
..I just need to do it sideways (no "that's what she said" jokes please).
hahaha
(These jokes sound hilarious, may be I will Google it)

Here it is...

http://www.twssstories.com/

Last edited by pat.indie; 11-24-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
HardBall
Edge User

Thanks guys;

I definitely see what you guys are saying. Perhaps it's not a very realistic expectation, but my perfect e-reader would have the exact all the functionality of the eDGe, but be 2 lb in weight or lighter. That's why I was wondering if a new model would be due out, don't want to realize the next month that I settled for the current model and missed out on the ideal version that I was looking for. Also I don't really want to be left behind should a future version get android market support. As right now, I guess I just have to make a decision among imperfect choices.

The ability to view PDF easily, and to annotate are critical to me, otherwise I would have settled with the Kindle 3G. Being able to take notes and journal are also very nice bonuses. It would be great if it's a device that I can take all my papers with me for the day, take notes in classes, as well as stay connected until I get home in the afternoon; really beats having to carry a laptop, a kindle, plus some notebook papers.

I have a couple more questions, someone here might know the answer of:
  • Can the eDGe display the bookmarks/table of contents in PDF documents that are created in Acrobat/Latex?
    A lot of what I read are programming guides and HW system documentations each a couple hundred pages long, being able to navigate through table of contents is a huge help.
  • Does the eDGe utilize the SD card as extra storage space for the library, or would I have to copy the files to the internal storage of the device for it to appear in the library?
  • What about media files, can I also keep them on the SD card and have, for example, the music player keep its library on the SD?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
Gunnerp245
Edge User

@hardball

If you have not visited mobileread.com I encourage you to do so. At this link is a comparison of many ereaders.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #15
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
Can the eDGe display the bookmarks/table of contents in PDF documents that are created in Acrobat/Latex?
Yes.

Quote:
Does the eDGe utilize the SD card as extra storage space for the library, or would I have to copy the files to the internal storage of the device for it to appear in the library?
The Library by default is on the internal 3GB available space, but can be relocated to the SD card, allowing up to 32GB space for the Library. Note that you only need to add content to the Library if you wish to annotate it or link it to an ebook.

Quote:
What about media files, can I also keep them on the SD card and have, for example, the music player keep its library on the SD?
The default music player will find media anywhere on the eDGe, including the external SD card, so adding them to the Library is not necessary simply to play them. Same for images and the Gallery application, and videos and the video player.