Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Greenmantle
Greenmantle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Exclamation Kobo desktop v1.7.5 corrupts database on original Kobo

Hi All,

This may have already been discussed in other threads but I would like to relate my experience.

I purchased my Kobo back in June from Borders Australia and purchased a few books via the desktop app.
Originally it had V1.0 firmware and when the V1.4 upgrade came along it went smoothly via the new Borders app V1.6
I have also used Calibre to side load some epubs and newspapers converted to epubs and also have used ADE to borrow library books.

A couple of days ago I thought I would check out the latest Kobo desktop app to see if it had the new firmware yet. (on another thread it was mentioned that Nov 22 was a "firm" date for the new firmware).

So, from the Kobo website I downloaded v1.7.5 of the Kobo desktop and created an account, downloaded a free ebook and synced the ereader to the desktop ok.

Then, however I found that the original Borders app (v1.6) came up with a message stating that it could not sync with the ereader. Also all the side loaded publications could not be opened anymore even though they could be seen in the I'm reading or books list.
Another funny side effect was that once a book was finished it still stayed in the I'm reading list marked as "new".

Anyway to cut a long story short I tried doing a factory reset but that did not help and I had to replace the database as outlined in one of the stickies and now everything seems back to normal.

Maybe it was just a glitch affecting my Kobo but I though others should know.

Cheers

Greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
andyberry
andyberry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Similar experience for me (but on 1.7.4).
I had to reset my Kobo to factory defaults and reload my side-loaded epubs,
andyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Tim Legge has written that there is a problem with the Calibre driver that can result in a borked Kobo Db. It will be fixed in the next release of Calibre 0.7.30.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
I believe you may be able to set the version in dbversion to be 4 like:

update dbversion set version = '4'

It seems that newer desktops are upgrading the database when a older kobo is connected.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I think your problem may be that you can't have BOTH the Kobo desktop app AND the Borders desktop app syncing with the one Kobo.
I originally started using the Borders App (because like you I bought my Kobo from Borders in Australia) but then when I discovered that the books were cheaper at Kobobooks.com I changed over to the Kobo Desktop App. But then the books that I had loaded via the Borders App didn't work.

So then I ditched both of them and now I use ADE or Calibre to load all my books regardless of their source.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
teebird150
teebird150 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
i did the same thing with the same results. tried to load use both boarders US app and kobo desktop. bad move. had to re install the db to fix
teebird150 is offline   Reply With Quote