Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
First impressions of the Opus

I've got my Opus. First impressions are very favourable.

The first thing that struck me was how small it is. The screen may only be 1" smaller than the Gen3, diagonally, but the who machine looks tiny, and really does fit comfortably into a trouser pocket. It's supplied with a very sturdy carrying pouch, with rigid stitched leather (or close approximation thereto) front and back, and elasticated sides. This should certainly provide perfectly adequate protection for carrying it in a pocket or handback.

The machine itself is a matt "off-white", with three controls along the bottom - a smaller version of the standard 5-way nav control that the Gen3 has in the centre, a "back" button to the left of it, and a "menu" button to the right. There are long narrow page turn buttons on the right of the screen - the upper one is "page forward", the lower "page back". If you prefer to hold the machine in your left hand, you simply turn the device upside down and the accelerometer (which works very well) inverts the screen, and automatically reverses the controls, so that the "up" and "down" still work as you'd expect them to. That's it - no side controls like the Gen3 has.

There's a mini USB connector (same as the Gen3) in the bottom of the machine, and the microSD slot is in the centre of the top.

As far as usage goes, it boots in roughly 15 seconds, and the library screen looks exactly like that of the Gen3. I've not tried using folders yet, so I don't know how the library screen handles them. It's supplied with about 100 sample books, half French and half English - all classics (not very well formatted).

The ePub files open quickly, and page turning is rapid - certainly a lot faster than the Gen3. Some people will, I'm sure, be pleased to note that the "progress bar" is gone - we now have page numbers ("15 of 205") and the book title on the progress bar (no battery indictator, I'm afraid - that's still only shown on the Library screen). Firmware version is "Version 1.9. Build 942".

While reading, the menu button displays a menu with:

- Back
- Forward
- Go To...
- Font Size...
- Show Status Bar
- Advanced...
- Back to Library

That's really all I can think of for now. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer if I can.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Library Enhancements...

Yes, it has folders .

By default, the Library screen looks identical to that of the Gen3, showing thumbnails of books covers and the book's title, author, date, and size.

Clicking the "menu" button displays:

- 5 items per page
- 10 items per page
- 20 items per page
- Folder View
- Sort
- Filter
- Show File Formats
- Delete
- Advanced...

Selecting "Folder View" gives you a "File System" type view, showing all the folders in the file system. Opening a folder first shows you all the sub-folders, with a ".." item at the top to go up a level, and then the standard thumbnail images of all the books in that folder.

Selecting the "Delete" menu item allows you to delete the currently-selected item, with a "Do you want to delete ..." confirmation.

A nice enhancement.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
you lucky dog !

congratulations on the new opus ! I was worried about the cover but I am happy that they have actually provided one here. I have heard the screen looks much more crispier in this one ?

Is that true ?
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Groucho
Groucho began at the beginning.

Device: none
How's reading compared to the 6"-Cybook? Is the screen to small or does it all work out fine?
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
As far as usage goes, it boots in roughly 15 seconds, and the library screen looks exactly like that of the Gen3. I've not tried using folders yet, so I don't know how the library screen handles them. It's supplied with about 100 sample books, half French and half English - all classics (not very well formatted)
Nice. Full books or not? I always felt the gen3 didn't have that many demo books.

Quote:
Firmware version is "Version 1.9. Build 942".
Still on 928 on my gen 3. I need ePub there.

Quote:
How's reading compared to the 6"-Cybook? Is the screen to small or does it all work out fine?
Ok for Epub, as you can change the size. For pdf's well...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Groucho
Groucho began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Ok for Epub, as you can change the size. For pdf's well...
I know!
But if you need to "thumb" through (the ePubs) more often using bigger fontsizes reading probably isn't much fun.
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
We didn't test for an extensive duration, but when I looked at it during the rendez-vous earlier this month, it seemed perfectly readable.
We'll have to wait for the impressions of people using it for an extended duration to hear what they think about it.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Some very poor pictures

Some pictures taken with my phone. Apologies for the extremely poor quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Box.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	33346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside the Box.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	33347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Library Screen.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	33349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reading.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	33350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Opus and Carrying Pouch.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	33351  
Old 07-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It seems to be extremely "readable". The screen is very crisp and sharp.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it has folders .
Selecting "Folder View" gives you a "File System" type view, showing all the folders in the file system.
Just to verify, please:
You get to see/navigate the actual file system, rather than a file system-type view of the library database?
How does it manage the external storage? As a brach of the file system, a separate drive/destination (like the hanlins) or some other way?
Do non-supported files show up or are they filtered into invisibility?

Thanks, and have fun with your toy...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Do you get the stupid page numbers at the margin with ePUB? Can you change margins, font, anything else?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's a view of the actual file system (or appears to be, at least).

I don't currently have a microSD card, but I'm guessing that it will appear as a "folder" at the root level of the file system.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Do you get the stupid page numbers at the margin with ePUB? Can you change margins, font, anything else?
No stupid margin page numbers - the page number is on the status bar. All you can change is the font size (the same 12 size selections as the Gen3 has), but if you convert your Mobi books to ePub with Calibre, it's very easy to select the font, margins, etc, at that stage.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, it would have been nice if you'd made a picture with your CyBook and the Opus side by side...

It really looks like a very nice device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It seems to be extremely "readable". The screen is very crisp and sharp.
I just wanted to say that the screen is fuzzy!

(or it could be your phone camera can't handle the focus )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, it would have been nice if you'd made a picture with your CyBook and the Opus side by side...
we've got a photo like that from the meetup, if you want to see it.

Quote:
I just wanted to say that the screen is fuzzy!

(or it could be your phone camera can't handle the focus )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote