Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
slboyd
slboyd doesn't litterslboyd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Question Forum is awesome but I am overwhelmed!!

I have very much enjoyed reading all the information available throughout this forum to help me get the most from my new Sony 505 (which should arrive Tues.) but I am hitting information overload!!

I will start reading a thread about converting a book, for example, and get part way through and realize some of it is old information ... and often the detail given is too detailed for me at this point.

Is there a place to start... that has a succinct list of recommended actions, written in simplified English for the novice, and is the latest information? A sticky someplace maybe?

Step 1: Take the ereader out of the box and follow Sony's instructions... but wait wasn't there something about not doing it Sony's way... see what I mean... Do I use the Sony Library? Do I use Calibre? Do I want both? The problem with using both seems to have only occurred with the PRS 500 so I don't have to worry about that right? My desktop is running Window XP so I don't have issues from using the Mac.

Where do I go to be sure to get the latest versions of recommended software? Is there a sticky for this?

If you got your Sony 505 today, what would you do first?

I own a ton of ebooks most in PDF because I am a professional book reviewer (among other things) and that is the format most utilized. I have other formats too and but I'll have to get around to them later. I need the best advice for working with PDF files since that is what I receive the most. I know I saw some suggestions but I have no idea now where I saw them and it if was recent advice?? There was something about reflowing the text in the document... I know what the term means but I don't know what the problem is and what to do to fix it with PDF files?? Does the new firmware update fix some of this so this isn't a big concern anymore or do I still have some work to do to make my ebooks easy to read on my 505?

I realize some of the things the group is talking about are things I may want to do later but there is so much info, my head is just spinning.... Can someone please break some of the info down into small manageable chunks and help me get started right!! Or point me to where this has already been done/explained before?

Thanks so much, your answer is much appreciated!!

Steph
slboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hi! I'm new here too and it is an awsome site with lots of information and very helpful people.

I have found the wiki to be very helpful in getting started. (The button is at the very, very top of the page.) Look under technology and then dedicated ebook devices and you should find the Sony 505.

Good Luck!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Welcome, slboyd. You're looking for our Wiki (link is situated over the mobileread logo, just right of the link to the forum) Still information overload, but some more order in that.

More specifically for you, this link: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505. I hope that is what you were looking for. Have fun with your device!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:17 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Some initial thoughts...

Charging the Reader - Check the LED on the top is red when charging - a Reader to PC/Laptop USB connection should work, while a Reader to USB standalone power-supply won't. A Reader to PSP-compatible charger using the barrel connector should, too.
(Oh yes - It does take a few charging cycles befoe the battery meter reads accurately.)

Copying books onto it. Try the Sony eBook library software and see how you go - Calibre is an alternative but they can both be installed & used, although probably best not to use them both at the same time! It also appears as a USB device, so you can just copy books onto it as you would to a USB drive. (Using the Sony software wil allow the transfer software to pre-index the pages for certain formats, otherwise the Reader will need to do it as a one-off when the book is first opened.)

PDF support. From memory, the 'sizes' button on the 505 will step between S=Normal, M=Reflowed Med & Reflowed Larger. Also, press and hold (for 5 secs or so) to toggle between Portrait & Landscape. (I use that a fair bit for PDF reading where I want to increase the font size a bit but don't want to loose the graphics, which reflowing tends to do.)

Other than that, it will all come together quite quickly!

Last edited by gwynevans; 01-12-2009 at 05:19 AM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
slboyd

Oh THANK you very much for your responses!! I knew there had to be someplace to find what I needed... I missed the Wiki at the top of the screen!!!

I'm on my way to look over the Wiki area...

Oh and gwynevans thanks for your specific advice and tips!!

Steph

Last edited by slboyd; 01-12-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo... :)
Old 01-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
slboyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
More specifically for you, this link: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505.
This is perfect...now I won't worry that I'm not starting out right. Thanks so much!!!

Steph