Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
new database format

Hi Kovid,
I wrote you (and you answered me) about this before, but now I fear I'm missing something...

I update calibre regularly with each new version - with Fedora install from http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_fedora.

Each time, at the 1st relaunch after the update, appears the window warning me about the new database format. If I now select as a location for the database the directory where it was previously stored, calibre crashes. The only option for me is, before selecting it, to rm * everything inside it.

For me it isnt a big problem: I keep usually everything on the Reader, but it worries me for if I ever wanted to store something in that database...

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what message does it crash with?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #3
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
what message does it crash with?
in today's update (ver. 0.4.104):

Code:
Upgrading database from version: 1
Upgrading database from version: 2
Upgrading database from version: 3
Upgrading database from version: 4
Upgrading database from version: 5
Upgrading database from version: 6
Upgrading database from version: 7
Upgrading database from version: 8
Upgrading database from version: 9
Upgrading database from version: 10
Upgrading database from version: 11
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/calibre", line 8, in <module>
    load_entry_point('calibre==0.4.104', 'gui_scripts', 'calibre')()
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 1290, in main
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 237, in __init__
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/library/database2.py", line 1163, in migrate_old
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/library/sqlite.py", line 106, in run
sqlite3.IntegrityError: PRIMARY KEY must be unique

after nuking the database directory content instead, I get this (strangely enough):
Code:
Upgrading database to version 2...
Upgrading database to version 3...
Upgrading database to version 4...
and calibre runs OK

alessandro
Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

does it still ask for the database location every time?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
alexxxm
Addict

Quote:
does it still ask for the database location every time?
yes, even with this last version.
The crash described, in fact, happened after I selected as database location the previous one.

alessandro
Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Do you have the file library1.db somewhere on your computer?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #7
alexxxm
Addict

Quote:
Do you have the file library1.db somewhere on your computer?
no, cannot find it

alessandro
Old 11-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm, I'm at a loss in that case. Look for the file calibre.log and see if it contains anything useful
Old 11-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
alexxxm
Addict

Quote:
Hmm, I'm at a loss in that case. Look for the file calibre.log and see if it contains anything useful
no calibre.log file anywhere!

Anyway, the correct behavior would be not to show anymore the "database migration window", once you go beyond version 0.4, right?

Seems to me that somewhere the upgrade believes that I keep on using v. <0.4 ...

alessandro
Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the database migration windows is shown only if the new format daabase doesn't exist and an old library1.db exists.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:45 AM   #11
alexxxm
Addict

I just noticed that - although I havent any old library1.db - I have, in my home, a metadata.db and a metadata.db-journal.
Tried to move them to /tmp, and that didnt solve anything.
Erasing them, however, made me make some steps forward:
at reinstall, it always asks for database migration, BUT doesnt crash anymore if I select a nonempty dir (or if I give it an escape)

alessandro