Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #211
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
NiLuJe
Thanks for the help, won't that remove the support for the other kindles?
I was thinking I'd just repackage it so it would work for all the touches and paperwhites to be as helpful as possible.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #212
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I just repackaged the devcert bundle and the Kindlet jailbreak.

If you're interested in how it's done: look
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #213
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Heh. Seeing as the device list for the K5 is starting to get a bit ridiculous, I just committed new aliases (kindle4, kindle5, touch, paperwhite) as device names that'll take care of the whole list of models for a specific generation. Neater build scripts .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #214
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Heh. Seeing as the device list for the K5 is starting to get a bit ridiculous, I just committed new aliases (kindle4, kindle5, touch, paperwhite) as device names that'll take care of the whole list of models for a specific generation. Neater build scripts .
Yay, thanks!

PS: I'll always be waiting for your "official" binary releases of kindletool. The only bin that runs on my production machine (Ubuntu 10.04, x86_64) is - interestingly enough - the i686 version with openssl 0.9.8 . I do have a VM where I can build and run it, but the binary that it spits out won't run on the production machine, so I have to copy files back and forth... And because I'm lazy, I just stick with the method that works (i.e., wait for NiLuJe's binary release and use the i686 one ) - anyway, thanks a ton for the effort you're putting into the jailbreak/usbnet/kindletool! In fact, without you, we'd all be screwed, because you're providing the foundation for everything else
Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #215
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yay, thanks!

In fact, without you, we'd all be screwed, because you're providing the foundation for everything else
^ This. With a gaudily large set of bells on.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #216
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab:

Did you ever try with the 'static' buildscript from the tools/ folder? It should take care of building libarchive 3 manually & static link it (without ever touching the 'live' FS). (Because, yep, Ubuntu 10.04 is still using libarchive 2, the first release with libarchive 3 is 12.04 ).

Well, without the whole OpenSSL build/switch, at least, something like that (it still expects to live in the tools folder):

EDIT: Script committed (& fixed) as 'tools/simple-linux-static-build.sh' . Should hopefully provide a 'one keystroke' solution for all Linux users (provided they have a somewhat decent dev env setup ^^).

@twobob & ixtab:

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-29-2012 at 02:34 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #217
Jezzrian
Jezzrian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi,

I'm new to this whole jailbreaking thing, but I'm having a few problems with it. When I try to install the kindlet jailbreak I get update error 7. I'm using a kindle touch, serial number B011 and firmware version 5.1.2. Does anyone know what is causing this?

Jezz

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 11-03-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Jezzrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #218
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzrian View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this whole jailbreaking thing, but I'm having a few problems with it. When I try to install the kindlet jailbreak I get update error 7. I'm using a kindle touch, serial number B011 **** and firmware version 5.1.2. Does anyone know what is causing this?

Jezz
Hmm... IIRC, update error 7 is that you didn't install the jailbreak. So try again, starting with the jailbreak (you'll have to use the data.stgz file), and report back.

PS: You may want to edit your post to conceal part of your serial number. That's personal information, and I don't think that you should publicly post it (then again, it may be just me being paranoid )
Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #219
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@ixtab : His MAC is not posted, someone trying to impersonate his Kindle needs both.

But as a general practice, I agree - we only need the first four in this forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #220
Jezzrian
Jezzrian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks guys. Worked like a charm.

No idea why the first jailbreak didn't work (I got the 'you are jail broken' message and book) but the second time fixed it

Jezz
Jezzrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #221
ixtab
(offline)

Version 2.2.0

Version 2.2.0 is now available for download.

It supports the Paperwhite 5.3.0 Firmware, addresses most of NiLuJe's PW comments, and includes a few other minor fixes to make the UI more usable on the Paperwhite.

Note that the search functionality has been completely dropped for the Paperwhite (it's still available on the Touch, though).

Oh yeah, one final rant @Amazon:
Spoiler:

You can obfuscate your code as much as you want, we'll still find ways to use our own devices the way that we want them to behave. But if you really insist to antagonize the developers who are actually adding value to your products... well, one day, we'll just get fed up with your attitude. Amazon used to have quite a good reputation here, but you seem to be determined to just burn that to the ground as fast as you can. Your choice.

Last edited by ixtab; 11-10-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #222
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Version 2.2

@ixtab: Am I correct in assuming this is only for those who managed to not get themselves locked out of jailbreak on the 5.3 firmware? And that for those of us caught by the install, we need to wait for a Jailbreak that can deal with 5.3?

(And thanks for keeping at it, in spite of Amazon. WE appreciate it.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #223
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Version 2.2.0 is now available for download.

It supports the Paperwhite 5.3.0 Firmware, addresses most of NiLuJe's PW comments, and includes a few other minor fixes to make the UI more usable on the Paperwhite. ...
Awesome! So you decided to "stick it to the man" instead of just bending over, eh?

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-09-2012 at 04:04 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #224
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
@ixtab: Am I correct in assuming this is only for those who managed to not get themselves locked out of jailbreak on the 5.3 firmware? And that for those of us caught by the install, we need to wait for a Jailbreak that can deal with 5.3?

(And thanks for keeping at it, in spite of Amazon. WE appreciate it.)
To make it short: yes.

If your Paperwhite runs the "official" version 5.3.0, there is currently no known way to install anything not amended by Amazon. Sorry.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #225
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
To make it short: yes.

If your Paperwhite runs the "official" version 5.3.0, there is currently no known way to install anything not amended by Amazon. Sorry.
YOUR apology not required! Amazon's OTOH...

Ah, well. I like my Paperwhite, but I truly don't like manually managing collections on it. So I guess I'll just be patient. Or get annoyed enough to go back to my K3.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks