Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #121
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Hi porkupan, thanks for your effort, great work!

Just some notes, hope they are usefull:

1.) It's not bad to select "Home" as default action for home button. You'll still be able to access ADW via Bar Shortcuts: just tap the top bar et voila

2.) For European users there is no need for the Russian keyboard or dictionaries. I also removed Coolreader and ebookdroid. The dictionary folder can be simply deleted before running flash_reader. But for the apk packages the sdcard/tmp/checksums file has to be altered...

3.) There is a bug: when going to Settings/Accounts&sync, tapping "Add account" will crash the reader...

Also, I managed to make ADW and latinkeyboard services stop working, not sure how, but hat to restore-set and re-root. Maybe it was because I disabled "Background data" in Accounts&sync, don't know...

4.) I disabled wallpaper, settings/animations and set white background for the Launcher. IMO this should be default for eInk devices.

5.) I'd like to set white background for menus, but don't know how yet.

6.) I removed Coolreader, but it is still present in Bar Shortcuts. When trying to remove it, Bar Shortcuts crashes.

Cheers, Andi
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #122
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
1.) It's not bad to select "Home" as default action for home button. You'll still be able to access ADW via Bar Shortcuts: just tap the top bar et voila
Yes, that was the idea
Quote:
2.) For European users there is no need for the Russian keyboard or dictionaries. I also removed Coolreader and ebookdroid. The dictionary folder can be simply deleted before running flash_reader. But for the apk packages the sdcard/tmp/checksums file has to be altered...
Absolutely. The Russian keyboard was added for the Russian users who are once again being snubbed by Sony. I don't use ebookdroid, but it is useful for those who like to read scanned DJVU copies. CoolReader on the other hand is a really great reading program (unless your native language is already supported by Sony, in which case perhaps you would want to stick with the Sony's Reader. Russian words are usually pretty long, and reading without hyphenation is considered inferior. Sony's software doesn't provide hyphenation support at all (other than in PDF).

md5sum for all files in updates and tmp directories should be listed in tmp/checksums. If you remove a file from there, you need to remove its checksum.

Quote:
3.) There is a bug: when going to Settings/Accounts&sync, tapping "Add account" will crash the reader...
Unfortunately, something is missing in the Google Tools, so none of them work. I am kind of glad that the AutoSynch is not working, as it would have eaten the battery in hours instead of weeks, but it would have been nice to have some support for gmail, Calendar, etc. However, any background services should be disabled on the reader.

Quote:
4.) I disabled wallpaper, settings/animations and set white background for the Launcher. IMO this should be default for eInk devices.
Yes, it should be.

Quote:
5.) I'd like to set white background for menus, but don't know how yet.
Haven't found a way to do it. Android doesn't appear to be totally configurable.

Quote:
6.) I removed Coolreader, but it is still present in Bar Shortcuts. When trying to remove it, Bar Shortcuts crashes.
I guess you should have removed it from Bar Shortcuts first, then uninstalled it... Or you can reinstall Bar Shortcuts, and select the apps you prefer to have there (instead of the ones I selected for you).
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #123
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Recovery via micro-SD card:
  1. Connect the wall charger to your reader.
  2. On the PC, unpack this archive to the micro-SD card. You should see the folder "OS Firmware" in the root directory of the card.
  3. Insert the micro-SD card into the reader.
  4. If the reader is not going through constant reboots, push the RESET button (with a pushpin).
  5. Now push and hold two buttons, HOME and MENU. Turn the reader on (Power button), it should start booting. Wait till the "Opening book" screen has stabilized for a few seconds.
  6. Let go the HOME and MENU buttons. Now wait...
  7. If the reader has not rebooted after 10-15 minutes, push the RESET button and then turn it on with the Power button.
YOU SAVE MY LIFE! THANKS A MILLION TIMES!!!
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:53 AM   #124
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Quote:
I guess you should have removed it from Bar Shortcuts first, then uninstalled it... Or you can reinstall Bar Shortcuts, and select the apps you prefer to have there (instead of the ones I selected for you).
Well, what I really did was: removing Coolreader prior to flashing But somehow Bar Shortcuts is preconfigured to show the Coolreader link... I tried 'clear all shortcuts' but still crashes and after restarting everything is as before.

I also installed Android Pit Market App which suggested to update Bar Shortcuts which I did, but it still crashes.

Do you know the place where Bar Shortcuts stores its settings?

The reason I removed Coolreader mainly was because it did not show any books / documents! All folders show are empty! So I reasoned that CR is simply too buggy...

But I really like the fact that the T1 has Android The first app I installed is http://www.androidpit.com/en/android...oid-Chord-Book

One of the reasons to buy the T1 is that I want to put music lead sheets on it...

Next, I gotta find a way to install "ireal b" which unfortunately is available in Google Market only. Any ideas? Maybe buying it via emulator and then somehow transfer it to the T1? Gotta try this: http://www.slatedroid.com/wiki/index...ket_For_Slates

Last edited by uboot; 11-09-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:06 AM   #125
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Quote:

Next, I gotta find a way to install "ireal b" which unfortunately is available in Google Market only. Any ideas?
1)Install Appmonster on your mobile based android phone,
2) Install application xxx on your phone,
3)backup it from appmonster,
4) move the generated apk (from /sdcard/appmonster/backup/.../rev) to your sony in any mode
5) Install from the sony

more easy to do than to say...
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #126
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewandeep View Post
4) move the generated apk (from /sdcard/appmonster/backup/.../rev) to your sony in any mode
5) Install from the sony

How about a way to get on the App Market without a phone? Anybody?
darseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #127
uboot
Evangelist

I don't have an android phone as well... Gotta try the emulator, maybe works....
Old 11-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #128
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Strange, for me the Bar Shortcuts has been crashing from the very first time. Every time the T1 boots, it tells me that, just after asking what Home action to do.

Last edited by RhialtoFalu; 11-10-2011 at 05:23 AM.
RhialtoFalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 AM   #129
Glamthaus
Glamthaus began at the beginning.

Quote:
Yes, I can confirm there is a problem with asec folder. Actually, there is not asec folder on the reader. I created /mnt/asec, /mnt/secure/asec, /sdcard/.android-secure - none seemed to help. Someone needs to decompile the DefaultContainerService.apk/odex to figure out where it is trying to create the "secure container", and why it may be failing.
The DefaultContainerService.apk/.odex are both fine as far as I can tell (I decompiled and compared them to the same files from an Android device with working ASEC.)

The two biggest issues I can see, however, are:

1. We're missing the kernel modules dm_crypt.ko, dm_mod.ko, twofish.ko, twofish_common.ko. These are all REQUIRED by ASEC. I've been trying to get this fixed, but so far have been having an absolute hell of a time getting a working 2.6.35.3 kernel development environment up and running (kernel modules need to be compiled specifically per device).
2. Init.rc has no declarations/mount points (or whatever) for ASEC. This can been seen pretty easily by comparing the init.rc of the prs-t1 to an init.rc of any ASEC enabled froyo device. This is an easy fix (but is still pointless without the kernel modules listed above).

EDIT: Also, for those asking, the Google Account/Sync crash appears to be due to a missing GoogleServicesFramework.apk. The majority of the Google Apps in general are missing in the stock PRS-T1.

Last edited by Glamthaus; 11-10-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Glamthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:46 AM   #130
uboot
Evangelist

I found out why barshortcuts crashes!!! The /data/data/com.coinsoft.android.barshortcuts stuff belongs to root which makes it read only.

That folder gets preinstalled via minimal-root.

I deleted that folder via RootExplorer and reinstalled barshortcuts et voila - belongs to a proper app user id now and does not crash anymore. Or well.... still crashes sometimes, but not _always_ when editing the shortcuts....
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #131
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I deleted that folder via RootExplorer and reinstalled barshortcuts et voila - belongs to a proper app user id now and does not crash anymore.
Thanks, that worked for me too!
RhialtoFalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #132
nikkel
nikkel began at the beginning.

Device: prs505&prs900
question

Hi All,

At first, congratulation to all authors for this fantastic upgrade !

I have a question: Is it possible use this package on PRS900 ?

I think no ... The PRST1 has infraled touch panel, and the PRS900 has capacitiv, and don't know is there others drivers differences ...

What happen if I try upgrade my PRS900 upgrading with this packake ... It will bricking ...

Can I back to the old PRS900 os ...???
nikkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #133
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkel View Post
I have a question: Is it possible use this package on PRS900 ?
No. This is a thread about the PRS-T1.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #134
uboot
Evangelist

After some time with my rooted T1, I'm facing serious flaws that bother me:

After a full shutdown/reboot, things start getting buggy: Barshortcuts and ADW launcher refuse to start and some settings like those of Coolreader are gone.

Pressing home, I was able to fire up ADW manually and it does work now, but Barshortcuts won't anymore and AndroidPit App as well. They just "stop unexpectedly".

Is there a way to track this down? Error console? System log? Haven't found any. Please help!!
Old 11-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #135
nemo31416
nemo31416 began at the beginning.

Device: Papyre 6.1 Ed2ª(lost), Samsung E65(gathering dust), Sony Prs-T1(ok)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewandeep View Post
5) Install from the sony

This process is valid for .apk payment? Thank you.
nemo31416 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, prs-t1, root, rooted, sony