Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #16
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I love my Kindle DX... I won't go back to astak
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Chuckwade87
Connoisseur
Chuckwade87 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/Sony PRS 505
i think it really depends on where you are going to be looking and "purchasing" content.

If you like the Amazon shopping experience. I have a Kindle DX and a 1st Gen kindle with a broken screen.(Any ideas what I should do with it?)

My wife has a Sony PRS 505. Its a pain finding the books you want to read for the sony and a hassle sometimes to convert. But she has that book cover with a light integrated into it so I would have to pry that from her cold dead hands.

The DX is nice but I don't really have a lot of books with Pictures/ PDF, so its basically a giant screen, with 3G.

I have started carrying the Astak more lately, It fits into a cargo pocket. And well I don't have to convert much. I like the File format vs the Kindle/Sony.

But there is really no converting with the Kindle, since 99.999% of your content is coming direct from Amazon.

With the Astak you have to get "creative" at times where you find your books you want to read.

My advice look into a Pocketbook 360, looks good, pretty open with file formats, not sure if it reads as many as the PocketPro, Can any one Clarify that for me?

But yeah well I dont know...
Chuckwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
Do you know of any firmware for the EZreader?

I've looked around, even in the Astak pages, for sofware upgrades for the Astak, but can't find any. It is so pathetic!

Has anybody used the firmware in other sites that sale the Ezreader (like Papyre in Spain) and tried to update from the firmware listed there? I've been afraid to do that because maybe I could not get tech support form Astak if something goes wrong but, What support? There are only ghosts here, not even that girl that replaced Robert (sorry, I can't recall her name).
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You can always restore the Astak firmware if you have a copy. All of the Hanlin (Jinke) products can use each others firmware. The Astak one is pretty much the latest unless you wish to go with the LBook firmware. I do not think the Papyre is any later. Not all firmware has TTS so this should be confirmed if you need it.

Are you having problems and need an upgrade?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
My wife has a Sony PRS 505. Its a pain finding the books you want to read for the sony and a hassle sometimes to convert.
It sounds like your wife's Sony hasn't been upgraded to read epub format books, which are available everywhere (except Amazon ). I think the latest Sony Reader software will do the upgrade. I did mine a long time ago, so I can't remember.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #21
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

No, if you read the first post this tread, my mom is the actual owner of the device, and she's coming to visit soon so I decided that while she's here, why not update her EZreader? But I've looked to no avail.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it will apply to this case.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Chikwako, sorry, my response applies to Chuckwade's post. "Chi", "Chu", it all looks the same with the wrong glasses.

For you, if you want a 5" reader, I'd be suggesting a PB360 since its owners pretty much all rave about it, or the Sony with the Pearl screen. Like Dale, I really like my 6" Hanlin V3+ (BeBook 2010, in my case) - it has everything the PP has except the right-side flipper switch. I like the bigger screen.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #23
Chikwako
Reader EZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Chikwako, sorry, my response applies to Chuckwade's post. "Chi", "Chu", it all looks the same with the wrong glasses.
And my response applies to DaleDe's! but I appreciate your clearing it up!
The PB 360 is what I finally bought, cause I couldn't get the EZReader, which is the one I liked.
The 360 is everything they say here it is and more! Even though I've had it for less than a week, I am reading and customizing it as I go!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #24
pholy
Booklegger

So all's well that ends well, I suppose...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #25
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwade87 View Post
i think it really depends on where you are going to be looking and "purchasing" content.

If you like the Amazon shopping experience. I have a Kindle DX and a 1st Gen kindle with a broken screen.(Any ideas what I should do with it?)

My wife has a Sony PRS 505. Its a pain finding the books you want to read for the sony and a hassle sometimes to convert. But she has that book cover with a light integrated into it so I would have to pry that from her cold dead hands.
1st Gen Kindle, if bought new, might be considered "paid for". At least the content you've paid for is all usable on your DX and non-Kindle devices like a PC or Android phone.

A Kindle 3 wifi with the coloured leather lighted case is $199.98 ... not free, but pretty decent value. You get to continue to enjoy your Kindle content; share between devices; the 4 week battery life is reasonably impressive; the lighted case works very well and does not require carrying around another device or charger or batteries.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #26
Chuckwade87
Connoisseur

honestly I have no real, motivation to get another Kindle. I have the one I have now simply because it seems like sometimes Amazon gets a book either cheaper or sooner then other sites, so its basicallly a back up. the DX is a little to big to lug around.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #27
Chuckwade87
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
It sounds like your wife's Sony hasn't been upgraded to read epub format books, which are available everywhere (except Amazon ). I think the latest Sony Reader software will do the upgrade. I did mine a long time ago, so I can't remember.
Yeah I don't really remember the last time I updated that thing, should put that on my list.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #28
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I'm really amazed that folks are saying they have drifted away from using a perfectly good PP or other Astak ereader merely because Astak seems to have (at least temporarily) disappeared from the face of the ereader world.

Be that as it may, since I'm not intending to be critical of anyone else's life choices, but I will keep using my PPro until it dies (again). Out of the choices available today, I would choose a nook, or perhaps even a NookColor -- depending on my mood. However the longer battery-life would still be a factor and it would most likely be the nook.

Had I cracked the screen on my PPro just a month later last year, I would have been in the middle of the Astak disappearing act and the nook is what I would have gotten to replace it. Almost did anyway. If it hadn't been for Jenifer's stepping up to the plate and getting me a replacement -- for $89 "broken screen" fee -- I'd own a nook now.

Even then, if I had realized Astak was in the midst of a Cheshire Cat act, I wouldn't have paid the money to replace it.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #29
kpetzing
kpetzing began at the beginning.

Device: none
I gave in and bought a Kindle 3.

I'll still use my PP bceause it reads so many formats, but I really wanted a larger screen.
kpetzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #30
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPAQ 2210 PPC
Kindle newsgroup?

Hi,

First post here. I have a Kindle 3G on order and so I went to the Newsgroup directory of my news reader (Agent) to see what groups existed for Kindle discussions. To my surprise I got zero hits for 'Kindle'.

Are there any dedicated Kindle newsgroups? Failing that, what web-based online forums can others recommend please?

Edit: Maybe I should have started a new thread, sorry!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote