Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
MichelleR
Just Me.
MichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, Nook Touch
I liked UR. If it's a commercial, it's kinda late for that, because you have to buy the product to read the story. I suppose maybe it's an inducement to buy -- if you really, really, really, reeeeee-leeeeee like King.

I thought it was funny to have him describe a Kindle while I held a Kindle -- very meta.

And the rest would make a nice Twilight Zone-esque episode.

(Dragoro, I swear I'm on at least 2 other message boards with you. I'd say you were stalking me, but you're always there first. It's kinda "Ur"-y. )
MichelleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #17
jrial
jrial began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iRex Iliad, nokia 770, gp2x, palm zire 71
Well, Riding The Bullet was an Internet Exclusive once too. I just checked my bookshelf, and I have indeed the paper version, Dutch version, translation copyrighted a mere year after the "exclusive" launch. So wait till after supper and you'll probably find a used pbook of it on eBay.

King can be so silly when it comes to new tech...
jrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #18
dschill
Connoisseur
dschill began at the beginning.

Device: none
i didnt even know stephen king HAD a kindle exclusive omg..
dschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #19
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's an enjoyable read though it took me a bit to get into it. The story is typical King, an ordinary likable schlep with problems is forced to deal with the intrusion of the supernatural (in this case a special Kindle) into his world. "Ur" started out a bit flat but built to a satisfyingly creepy conclusion. If you're a Kindle or King fan its definitely worth a read, but if you're just looking for a great King novella, I'd recommend "The Mist" instead.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #20
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
Thanks for the heads up on "UR". I love KING, but wasn't sure about this. Now I will have to check it out.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #21
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Minor spoilers for Ur and Hearts in Atlantis follow(highlight to read):

So why are the men in yellow coats concerned about Wesley damaging the tower? In Hearts in Atlantis and the Dark Tower series they were working to destroy it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #22
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Yeah, Ben. I asked about that in a book club Im in. No one seemed to know.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Minor spoilers for Ur and Hearts in Atlantis follow(highlight to read):
You should use the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
You type up all your text that is your spoiler. Then highlight it and click on the little crossed out eye in the editor tool bar. This will hide the text.

I can't read your text even when I highlight it.

If you are not using the advanced editor you just wrap with the SPOILER tags.

BOb

EDIT: Hmm... that weird. It isn't working for me when I click show. Does it work for you guys?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #24
jrial
jrial began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iRex Iliad, nokia 770, gp2x, palm zire 71
Doesn't work here either.
jrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #25
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Heres the spoiler:

Spoiler:
So why are the men in yellow coats concerned about Wesley damaging the tower? In Hearts in Atlantis and the Dark Tower series they were working to destroy it.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #26
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I read it yesterday. I liked it, thought it was up to his calibre. Did start out kind of advertis-y like, but over all I enjoyed it.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 AM   #27
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I looked for the spoiler tag when I made the first post but couldn't find. I see it now, though.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:51 AM   #28
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I hope they release it for other than Kindle owners soon - this sounds like it could be fun to read.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #29
busy91
Connoisseur

Well I heard it will eventually be in a short story collection, so one day other ereaders will get to read it.