Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
By the way, are there any possible problems I might run into if I only have the Amazon Appstore as my exclusive place to get apps?
Only that some apps might not be available since the Amazon app store doesn't have as many apps available as Play.

There are also other app markets besides Play & Amazon...
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-app-stores
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #32
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
How do I know if the Android device is completely wiped?

Where do I download the latest version of Android 4.4? When I go to update on the tablet it says it's up to date...?

Is there a way for me to run an app on the external USB drive of the device to make sure it's completely wiped?
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #33
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

I don't really need the update because I just want to read PDF files anyway.

Is there a way I can completely wipe the device so that it doesn't have the 1mobilemarket installed?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #34
EbookNovice
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Only that some apps might not be available since the Amazon app store doesn't have as many apps available as Play.

There are also other app markets besides Play & Amazon...
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-app-stores
Thanks, but I'd rather just stick to one store so that I know the Android device is safe!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #35
EbookNovice
Banned

I wiped the device twice by going into 'Settings'. There's also a button the right side of the device that says 'Reset' with a very tiny hole. Is there a difference between which Reset method I use?
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 02:44 AM   #36
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
1. Since your tablet does not have any Google apps (gmail, play, hangout, etc.), then it most certainly not a Google approved device. For simplicity sake, you cannot install apps from Google Play but can install apps from any other android market (i.e. Amazon)

2. Reset by going to setting>>Backup and reset>>Factory data reset.
this may reset to default factory setting. It may differs a bit in your device, but basically you will find it in Setting. I assume that the pinhole with 'reset' marking is used if your device hang and you need to restart it (=reboot).

3. If you just want to read PDF, just install Adobe Reader. It's free, fast and should be easy to find.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 AM   #37
EbookNovice
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapmas77 View Post
1. Since your tablet does not have any Google apps (gmail, play, hangout, etc.), then it most certainly not a Google approved device. For simplicity sake, you cannot install apps from Google Play but can install apps from any other android market (i.e. Amazon)

2. Reset by going to setting>>Backup and reset>>Factory data reset.
this may reset to default factory setting. It may differs a bit in your device, but basically you will find it in Setting. I assume that the pinhole with 'reset' marking is used if your device hang and you need to restart it (=reboot).

3. If you just want to read PDF, just install Adobe Reader. It's free, fast and should be easy to find.
Will do. Thanks for your help!

Edit: There's also an option for me to get into recovery mode and alter the partitions, but I don't want to do this in case I mess it up and can't even use the device.

If I did alter the partitions and all the data gets destroyed on the device, what would I need to do to get it back to 'factory settings'? I couldn't see an answer on the unisurf website.

Last edited by EbookNovice; 02-27-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #38
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Are you sure your tablet doesn't come with the Play store? Did you look inside the App drawer to double check? I find it odd that an Android tablet would not come with the Play store as the default.

The Play store is all-around better than the Amazon app store. Not only does it have more apps, but even when the 2 stores have the same apps, the version on the Play store is more current.

I think it's worthwhile to have both stores on a device. And it's perfectly safe to do so. It just takes a little more work to manage apps (ie, updates) from 2 stores instead of one.

Many people side load Google apps to their devices, so it can be done.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Are you sure your tablet doesn't come with the Play store? Did you look inside the App drawer to double check? I find it odd that an Android tablet would not come with the Play store as the default.
Not odd at all, Pat. Many of the generic Chinese clones, such as this one, don't. My understanding is that using the Google Play store requires an additional level of certification by Google, which the makers of these cheap tablet don't want to do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #40
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry, couldn't the OP simply side load Google apps like this:

http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-install...-hd-hdx/30736/

--Pat
Old 02-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Harry, couldn't the OP simply side load Google apps like this:

http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-install...-hd-hdx/30736/

--Pat
Certainly, yes. No guarantee that they'll work correctly, of course (that's what the certification is about), but sure, it's worth a go.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #42
PatNY
Zennist

Yes, to the extent that his device is missing certain hardware features -- ie, GPS or a camera -- then the app would be limited in that respect. But most Google apps' basic functionality should be fine on a relatively up-to-date and well-functioning Android OS. And the Play store, in particular, doesn't have any fancy hardware requirements. So that should work fine. (Edit: Unless the Play store has tight geo-restrictions and the user is in one of those restricted locales.)

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 02-27-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #43
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
I wiped the device twice by going into 'Settings'. There's also a button the right side of the device that says 'Reset' with a very tiny hole. Is there a difference between which Reset method I use?
Basically, there's hard reset and soft reset.
The tiny hole is used for a soft reset. For example, if your tablet doesn't close an app correctly and such minor issues.
But this soft reset doesn't delete any apps or sets the device back to its original state.

If you want to reset your tablet to the original state, that's a hard reset.
You can do this in the settings on Android.
Usually, there's some combination of keys as well to do so. Obviously helpful, if you can't get into the settings when your tablet acts up. This combination of keys differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. You'd have to google foe your tablet.
If you do a hard reset, you tablet is set back to the state when you bought it. All apps you installed will be gone, all settings are back to the original ones.

If your only problem is the number of apps you tested and want to get rid off, a simple uninstall of the respective apps should do.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #44
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
For alternatives to Google Play, Google "alternatives to google play"

Some downsides to not using Google Play is that there is a greater chance of downloading apps that might be malicious or not the most current version. One upside is that there are some nice apps not approved by Google and not in Google Play.

Your tablet might not have Google Play because the manufacturer didn't meet/agree to Google's requirements or pay for the license to install Google Play and Google apps.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #45
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Looking through the manual's images and info. His tablet runs Google's location services and Google services. I would guess they didn't install Google play because they want their users to use their 1Mobile market (which comes on the device) to download apps. It would be worth a try to download the Google Play APK (Search Google) and load it on the tablet and see if it works. There are instructions in the manual on how to load an APK.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote