Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Rooting NookColor - how to apply environmental profile

I'm rooting the nookcolor and I'm stuck on a step. I'm a newbie and have little experience in using terminal. I was able to access the bash profile and append " export PATH=${PATH}:<your_sdk_dir>/platform-tools" at the end and then I saved it which seems to have worked because now when I type in "sudo nano ~/.bash_profile", I get this

PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin:${PATH}"
export PATH
export PATH=${PATH}:/Users/xxxxx/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_86/platform-tools

But the next instruction is to
Apply the environment variable.

source ~/.bash_profile

I don't know how to do this. Any help?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
i think they mean just type it in your terminal session exactly as is. Does it not work?

you can also try typing: . ~/.bash_profile
there's a space between the first dot and the ~
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Well, I've made a horrible mistake. I added the environmental variable to the end of the bash profile file and now terminal won't accept any commands. I can't pull up the command line prompt.

Now I'm googling like mad to find the bash profile on my leopard install so I can delete it and try again. Any suggestions?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
I actually never made the operating system environment add, I don't really see why it's needed. Maybe a more knowledgable bloke can pipe in and let us know ...
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
So sorry that you experienced this. It's very unfortunate.

I used Terminal, but didn't do the environment stuff.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
zeroh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Well, I've made a horrible mistake. I added the environmental variable to the end of the bash profile file and now terminal won't accept any commands. I can't pull up the command line prompt.

Now I'm googling like mad to find the bash profile on my leopard install so I can delete it and try again. Any suggestions?
What do you mean when you say you added the environmental variable at the end? It doesn't matter if it's in the beginning or end.

You didn't add "source ~/.bash_profile" to the PATH variable, did you? This is just to be typed in the terminal as a command.

are you logged in as root or some other user? if as another user, you can log in as root and edit the user's .bash_profile ( you may have to change some permissions to get access).
Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist

You didn't add "source ~/.bash_profile" to the PATH variable, did you? This is just to be typed in the terminal as a command.

Yes, yes I did. I can login as root. How do I edit the user bash profile from there?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
da_jane
Evangelist

Problem solved. Using CMD Find in Finder and then viewing the invisible items, I found the .bash_profile and deleted the source ~/.bash_profile using BBEdit and my command prompt is now back. It only took 3 hours!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
zeroh
Zealot

cd to where the .bash_profile is located.
If you can't do that because of permissions, you'll need to change it using chmod.
For example: if the user's path is /home/zeroh
you would type: ls -lad /home/zeroh
this will give you the current permissions for the directory. Note it down on paper.

Then you can change the perm by typing: chmod 777 /home/zeroh

Next, type: cd /home/zeroh

THen change the perm for the bash_profile: chmod 777 .bash_profile

then you can edit it and save it.

after that you can change the permissions back again.

* NEVERMIND ALL I WROTE
Old 12-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
da_jane
Evangelist

Thank you for your assistance though. It could help someone as stupid as me.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're not stupid, just inexperienced in that particular thing.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
zeroh
Zealot

everybody's gotta start somewhere.. i remember when i first started using unix, i "rm *" in the wrong directory and deleted a bunch of important application files.. good thing they had backups!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroh View Post
everybody's gotta start somewhere.. i remember when i first started using unix, i "rm *" in the wrong directory and deleted a bunch of important application files.. good thing they had backups!