Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #31
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
How would ePub make it a generic reader? What does that even mean? It would make the Kindle a "super reader", IMO.
Until somebody goes to court over it, "generic reader" means whatever Amazon wants to claim it means. Personally, I suspect that would include an ePub reader, but maybe not. Like I said, initially Amazon will define the term-then you can protest their definition by suing them and eventually a court will decide.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #32
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Until somebody goes to court over it, "generic reader" means whatever Amazon wants to claim it means. Personally, I suspect that would include an ePub reader, but maybe not. Like I said, initially Amazon will define the term-then you can protest their definition by suing them and eventually a court will decide.
I won't be suing, I just convert from epub to mobi and go my merry way. I'm sure it will be Amazon making the dfinition. I was trying to point out that "generic" doesn't mean no epub because it isn't defined.

Remember Amazon owns Stanza which *does* read epub, so a Stanza app could be a possibility.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #33
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Remember Amazon owns Stanza which *does* read epub, so a Stanza app could be a possibility.
Now you are getting my hopes up
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #34
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Alot will depend on how Amazon implements their SDK but I can easliy image something like Calibre running directly on the Kindle.
OMG, with a cover flow and everything? That would be awesome!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #35
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Alot will depend on how Amazon implements their SDK but I can easliy image something like Calibre running directly on the Kindle.
OMG, with a cover flow and everything? That would be awesome!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #36
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
That would make the Kindle a very compelling platform (imagine all the extra format support made by innovative hackers) if only it were possible to use the SDK to remove that horrible, hideous keyboard.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #37
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
That would make the Kindle a very compelling platform (imagine all the extra format support made by innovative hackers) if only it were possible to use the SDK to remove that horrible, hideous keyboard.
The Kindle keyboard rocks!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #38
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
The Kindle keyboard rocks!
It's presence is the main reason I hated the Kindle from the moment I first saw it. Ugly cludge.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #39
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
It's presence is the main reason I hated the Kindle from the moment I first saw it. Ugly cludge.
Well to each his/her own. I love my keyboard!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #40
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I don't think devs will be able to modify the Kindle software itself, just run apps that happen to use the cell service and so forth. E.g. puzzle games, Zagat guides, that type of stuff.

Quote:
I don't think you will have any grounds whatsoever for a lawsuit. I assume devs will have to sign a TOS to get to the SDK. It's the same with Apple banning certain apps from the iPhone / iPod Touch platform.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #41
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
All I want is a word processor that saves to .azw format!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #42
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This part is a bit odd:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000476231
Quote:
User revenue will be split 70% to the developer and 30% to Amazon net of delivery fees of $0.15 / MB. Remember that unlike smart phones, the Kindle user does not pay a monthly wireless fee or enter into an annual wireless contract. Kindle active content must be priced to cover the costs of downloads and on-going usage.
Quote:
Free – Active content applications that are smaller than 1MB and use less than 100KB/user/month of wireless data may be offered at no charge to customers. Amazon will pay the wireless costs associated with delivery and maintenance.
So if you are doing an RSS/data dependent app, you should either make it a) free, and under 100KB/user/month, so you don't have to pay for data, or b) make sure to charge enough to cover those wireless fees. (so a .99 cent app might not make too much sense, if Amazon is taking 30% plus any wireless fees)
Old 01-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #43
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I don't think devs will be able to modify the Kindle software itself, just run apps that happen to use the cell service and so forth. E.g. puzzle games, Zagat guides, that type of stuff.

I don't think you will have any grounds whatsoever for a lawsuit. I assume devs will have to sign a TOS to get to the SDK. It's the same with Apple banning certain apps from the iPhone / iPod Touch platform.
I think Kali Yuga is absolutely right on this. Although I am hoping that the SDK allows us to view what titles are on the Kindle and cause the Kindle to open a title (i.e. we could create the software to handle folders). If not, I look forward to the hacked SDK that will give us more capabilities.

Any Apple App developers out there that can tell us what limitations Apple places on their SDK? Has Apple's SDK been hacked to get around those limitations?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #44
kjk

Quote:
Has Apple's SDK been hacked to get around those limitations?
Only for jailbroken phones. Like Amazon, Apple can just remove any apps that are found to "get around" any SDK limits for the App Store, but can't do much about the jailbroken community.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #45
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Actually wondering now if B&N will open up the Nook-since it runs Android, an SDK is already available.
It will be a while I think. B&N have to first fix their problems before they can worry about an open SDK. But once they do it will be a nice platform is suspect.

Quote:
I suspect they are not going to have that level of openness. My gut feel is they are going to have some sort of abstraction layer that allows apps to integrate with their main GUI but restricts them from accessing lower level API, much like Apple/RIM/Google
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote