Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
boothy
boothy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard 3G, Galaxy S3 Kindle app
paperwhite now available for pre order in the U.K.

Hi

Not sure if this has already been posted

The paperwhite is now available on amazon UK website for pre order, delivery 25th October.

Boothy
boothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
Yep, posted right around the corner. Now is there such thing as defective PW or they are all the same, with blotches and spots?...
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I have received 5 units so far, that varied from not turning on at all, to holes in the screen, something stuck below the screen that made the area appear always white, blindlingly bright light areas in the middle of the text, and, the worst, backgrounds that display pastell colors blue and pink across the entire screen.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My PW has now appeared on my "Manage Your Kindle" page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes same here! Although I'm considering cancelling. Might be better to wait for the next release.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Why cancel, you'd be as well waiting to see what it's like viewing it with your own eyes. The one you get might be fine, but if there is any issue with it just return it for a refund. It's not like Amazon are difficult to deal with regarding returns.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

True. Do they pay for return costs?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
True. Do they pay for return costs?
If it's faulty, yes, they do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've ordered one even though I bought a second Kindle Touch last week. I figured it can't hurt to try one, I'll just send it back if its no good.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
I just checked now and mine is there too

Estimated delivery is 25th of October.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
As soon as I had pre-ordered my PW in the US, it was the "standard choice" for delivering new books to - although they were well aware that it had not yet been built, much less shipped.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
So, who, apart from shanghaichica, has received their paperwhites?
How do you like it?

I have received mine (From the US), but as it did not compare favourably with my Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Fire (1st generation) as far as text sharpness was concerned, I have sent it back.

I was really looking forward to it and prepared to love it, but when I took it out of the package and turned it on next to my Kindle Keyboard, the text was visibly more blurry. Colour was ok (slight greenish tint and faint colour blotches), but the text sharpness was disappointing for me.

Best regards, Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 10-30-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
neonbible
Addict

I got mine on release day last week.

Like it a lot, but I don't love it. My backlight is fine, its white when turned to full brightness, but more 'blue' when its at a lower setting. This seems normal to me and doesn't bother me. No problems with blotches, only at the bottom near the LEDs, but again I believe this is normal. Light works very well in dark settings, and certainly a welcome feature.

Text to me is sharper, and the difference compared to the Keyboard is quite a step up in my opinion.

Touch screen is excellent, very responsive and page turn is very quick and doesn't 'flash' like on the keyboard.

It feels a bit heavier than I was expecting but I soon got used to it. The solid build makes me a little more cautious about dropping it though!

Also bought the official case. It fits really well and doesn't add much weight. Problem is that it doesn't feel or smell much like leather. I wouldn't be surprised if it was fake, but then Amazon wouldn't do that to us would they? ;-)
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Just curious.. what is keeping you from loving it, neonbible?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
neonbible
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Just curious.. what is keeping you from loving it, neonbible?
Its probably more to do with my expectations of the product.

I thought it would be lighter. See my post here.

Amazon originally advertised it as patented screen technology where you can't see where the source of light is. Well we all know thats not true! But as I said don't really bother me, and more the fact that they didn't deliver what was advertised.

No page buttons. As nice as the new touchscreen is, I quite liked resting my thumb on the screen on my KK. Now I can't do that. Would like the option of page buttons. But I guess it wouldn't work anyway even if it did have page buttons, because you still need to touch the screen to lookup a word or highlight text.

Forgot to mention in my review that battery life doesn't seem so good. Although this could be related to indexing. I only tend to add one book at a time, but when I got my PW I added about 10.