Notices

Old 02-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #46
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
I thought about this and came to the conclusion that while there might not be the perfect solution to this problem, there are a few things which every company could do to at least alleviate the problem.

1) Automatic replies: It would help customers if they knew that their email has arrived. Automatic replies to spam would bounce but the bounced mails could be sorted out automatically

2) When ordering every customer has to give their email address (for confirmations, delivery notifications, etc.). As the customer has to give their credit card details upon ordering it is safe to say that those email addresses will not be used for sending spam as the owner of that address can be easily tracked. So why not whitelist one's own customers' email addresses? That could be done automatically and in case servers like Hotmail are temporarily blacklisted the customers emails would still get through as they are whitelisted.
Or update your blog, site, put some news somewhere, make a forum for people or anything else.

It is rather easy to do something yet it doesn't show much sign of it judging from what -I- can see here and on their sites.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:00 AM   #47
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Forums, blogs, etc. would certainly be nice (plus it would be great if the blog contained more than just links to reviews and product videos, there are already sections where this fits nicely, the blog would be ideal to build a community and give some "behind-the-scenes" info) but it would not replace the necessity for a solution for email support.

As for easy, I think the fact that Bookeen admitted to lack in support in their blog is a big leap ahead. Not many companies will admit to that and rather try to spread the blame all around. It may sound easy to implement a forum but in a big company there's quite a bit of work involved: You'd need to evaluate a few products (get an open source solution or do we need a special support contract?) which depends also on what you want to handle yourself (which, in turn, depends on the number of people you have with the required skills). Then you would have to set up a test system and have a few people from the support team work with that for some days (in addition to their normal work, of course). If everything looks fine, you need to buy hardware and bandwidth according to your expectations or find a suitable provider and deploy the thing.

A lot of work goes into this and if you don't do it right the first time (don't have a few dedicated people) a community won't build and the forum will be dead right from the start. I'd assume that right now Bookeen has no time to spare to pour into something like this. I know it's kind of paradoxical if you say that you don't have time to do something which will save you a lot of time. If only it would be possible to take out a loan from a "time bank" ;-)
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 AM   #48
David B
David B began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook GEN3
Well, I have a new problem with Bookeen now, they say they still did not received the cybook I sent them back two week ago, while the transporter says that the shipment number is no longer in their system since the 26.01 so it was probably delivered this day (that would make sense as I sent it the 23.01).
I started a procedure with the transport company. Let see what happens.

I am so frustrated! I received the cybook as a christmas gift and played with it only 4 or 5 days!

Booken answered my emails after I sent it twice, it comes better and better, last time I had to send it three times... I am so pissed off with this...
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #49
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
That is strange. However, there should be a way for your delivery service to provide you with a hard-copy of the tracking information. If they can, even if it takes a few days, make a copy and forward that to Bookeen. Obviously, keep a copy for your records.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Well, I have a new problem with Bookeen now, they say they still did not received the cybook I sent them back two week ago, while the transporter says that the shipment number is no longer in their system since the 26.01 so it was probably delivered this day (that would make sense as I sent it the 23.01).
I started a procedure with the transport company. Let see what happens.

I am so frustrated! I received the cybook as a christmas gift and played with it only 4 or 5 days!

Booken answered my emails after I sent it twice, it comes better and better, last time I had to send it three times... I am so pissed off with this...
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 AM   #50
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Well, so far still no cover. I've complained to Bookeen last week (sent to both addresses I had plus sent the same thing from another account -> I told them in the mail that I would do that so they wouldn't think they get spammed) and got a three sentence reply telling me that 1) all the missing items were sent between 24th and 31st of January 2) my particular parcel was sent on the 31st and 3) I should wait a couple of days.
So much for an apology that the written statement I received last time (that I would receive the items by the end of the month) proved not true.

As they sent it via standard mail there is no way for me to find out where the package is and if they even sent it. Mail from Paris to Vienna takes 2-3 business days maximum, there are trains carrying the mail two times a day, so if it hasn't arrived after 6 business days the package has either not been sent or if lost. Yet, all I can do is wait and complain again until they can make up their mind to inquire at their postal service (I assume they at least sent it registered or how would they make sure the package would reach the destination?).

I'm not usually distrustful but in my eyes this is fishy: Before Christmas they told me they'd send it right away, which turned out to be not true. Then they told me that I'd receive it by the end of January, which again didn't hold true (especially if you take into account that they themselves told me now that they sent it on the 31st). Now that the package doesn't arrive and after keeping me waiting for some time, they'll probably tell me it must have gotten lost on the way. I'm sorry to say but after all that plus all that I read here about other people's experience it seems highly unlikely that this company is so singularly unlucky that their emails and parcels get lost all the time.

I also complained to them about the service and the fact that already two times their given dates of delivery did not hold true. I said that I feel sorry that even though their device is very good in my opinion that I cannot recommend buying it to anyone because the delievery and the service is painfully time consuming and it is up to the customer to keep bugging them about a new date (and probably several times to get one reply back).

I expected a small apology, some copy and pasted blabla about how they are sorry that something went wrong in my case and that they were working hard to improve their service in the future like all the other companies do. But they didn't even bother to comment on anything I wrote. Just the three-liner letting me know that I should wait.

If they are working on improving their customer service as they said on their blog progress is slow...
Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #51
knightmail
knightmail began at the beginning.

Device: CYBOOK
Hi All
After much trying with e-mail i finally found bookeen's phone number on the delivery invoice

it is 0033 1 45654256

and a 'real' voice (who speaks/understands english was very helpful)

p
knightmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #52
Snuffi
Addict

Here's an update which will come quite unexpectedly to most readers here (at least it was for me):
After my last complaint where I was rather harsh and doubted their claim to have sent the package almost two weeks ago I also told them that I would like for them to forward my mail to the head of customer support because I thought that they should know about the current situation.

On the same day I received an email from Laurent Picard himself, very friendly stating that he had personally checked into the issue and that the package has indeed been sent and that I should allow for up to 3 weeks for it to arrive. To say I was impressed does not quite describe my feelings. I was, honestly, still doubtful that a package can take as long as 3 weeks from Paris to Vienna (especially since my Postal Service told me that packages should take only 2-3 business days, normally) but what you say if the co-founder personally investigates the issue.

Yesterday the package finally arrived, the label proves that it was really sent nearly 3 weeks ago.

I have to admit that I am still very impressed that Mr. Picard takes such things important enough to personally interfere. I think it shows that he is keeping a very close eye on things and is very much in the thick of things. This is why I wanted everyone to know the result of my case. In my opinion one can't value it too highly if the top management is taking a personal interest and - more even - an active part in the daily work and I think that bodes very well for the future of Bookeen.

I am certain that the current difficult situation is being worked on and Bookeen is very interested in keeping their customers happy.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good to hear that it worked out OK for you in the end, Snuffi. Thanks for letting us know - it's nice to have good news once in a while .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #54
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
... I was, honestly, still doubtful that a package can take as long as 3 weeks from Paris to Vienna (especially since my Postal Service told me that packages should take only 2-3 business days, normally) but what you say if the co-founder personally investigates the issue...
Good to hear you got your cover - and even an email from LP himself. But, really, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired...

If your package took 3 weeks when they said it will only take 2-3 business days I'll have to wait 6 weeks - which equals 1.5 months - which equals 42 days!

Dragana
31 days to go
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #55
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
If your package took 3 weeks when they said it will only take 2-3 business days I'll have to wait 6 weeks - which equals 1.5 months - which equals 42 days!
It depends were you live I guess. As far as I can see Vienna is about the 1.5 times the distance from Paris as Rotterdam, where I live. My package was sent on a Friday evening at aprox 17:15. I received it the next Tuesday at around 11:00. Less than one and a halve bussiness day. I'm not complaining, especially because I was in the first batch

Handeling within France should be the same for both packages. The difference in distance could only account for 3/4 hours by train and 45 minutes by plane. So the difference is in the receiving country
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #56
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Handeling within France should be the same for both packages. The difference in distance could only account for 3/4 hours by train and 45 minutes by plane. So the difference is in the receiving country
Held up in customs perhaps?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no internal customs within the EU, so unfortunately that's not the answer .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:41 AM   #58
Snuffi
Addict

No, as HarryT already said, customs is not an issue within the EU. On the other hand, I don't think that our local Postal Service is where it got stuck neither. Not that there isn't room for improvement with the Austrian Postal Service but we're not exactly third world either where it takes weeks to get a package from the airport or train station to the receiver. Apart from that, most foreign mail arrives at Vienna first (except for direct cross-border traffic where it would be a huge detour to go to Vienna first) and there it is sorted in the largest facility there is for that in Austria. So I can't really imagine that the package gets stuck somewhere *within* Vienna for 2 weeks. Also it arrived via regular mail (was a rather small package) not some parcel service or special delivery for larger packages.

Also the information about the 2-3 business days did not come from Bookeen but from my local Post Office (i.e. I asked them how long it could possibly take for a package sent from Paris to arrive).
Bookeen just stated that they would send it in econo mode (plus they said that I'd receive the package by the end of January, which wouldn't have worked anyway as they sent it January 31st, but that's a different issue) and the response to my first complaint was just that I should give it "a few more days". That was also the reason why I doubted they had actually sent it. If they had told me at the beginning that they would send it via some odd service which would take 2-3 weeks to deliver I wouldn't have complained at the end of the first week of February.

Anyway, even if I admit that I was not exactly satisfied with the way customer service handled the situation, I am still very positive that Bookeen is really very eager to improve. LP stated that Bookeen's customer service has always been "lauded" in the past and that they already hired more people.

I really wish them well and hope that their problems due to the unexpected demand will soon all be resolved because I really like the device a lot. With a few improvements via a new firmware this could really be something I'd buy for the rest of my family, too. I even like the cover (even though some complain it's not really leather) and the fact that the outer layer is definitely not leather is rather a plus because leather stains easily when getting a little wet or smudged with something (whereas the material used here seems rather robust against dirt and water drops).
Old 02-22-2008, 05:05 AM   #59
David B
David B began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook GEN3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
That is strange. However, there should be a way for your delivery service to provide you with a hard-copy of the tracking information. If they can, even if it takes a few days, make a copy and forward that to Bookeen. Obviously, keep a copy for your records.

Derek
Yeah I contacted the delivery service. They kindly informed me that they started a investigation to find out where is my shipment. Unfortunately they told me also that the investigation could last up to 6 weeks... And so far I have no news...
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #60
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Yeah I contacted the delivery service. They kindly informed me that they started a investigation to find out where is my shipment. Unfortunately they told me also that the investigation could last up to 6 weeks... And so far I have no news...
Might I suggest that you contact your credit card company and file a request to have your money refunded? You don't want to wait too long as there is a time limit for such requests. But you paid for and didn't receive the unit, so this is an option.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote