Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast
cloudyvisions is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
I removed the hacks, installed 3.1, then new hacks, and now Kindle is dead

I'm over at Kindleboards asking this too, but since the hacks and jailbreak are coming from here, I wanted to post over here and get your opinions and advice too.

Since the jailbreak was ready, I wanted to update to 3.1. I first uninstalled the font hack and screen saver hacks, then uninstalled the older jailbreak. I installed the new 3.1, restarted my kindle, and then installed the new jail break and then the screensaver hack, which showed up fine, and the font hack, which loaded fine too.

But then I went to change the fonts, and when it came back to the screensaver after restarting, I moved the on switch and the box to enter my password never came up. I tried again, nothing worked. So, I held down the on switch to restart my kindle, and it restarted, but I still cannot get the password box to come up. I tried connecting my Kindle to my laptop to see if that would trigger the password box to come up, and it was connected since it was charging, but nothing else happened.

So, I tried to restart my Kindle again and this came up in that typewriter type of font:

"Collecting information. May take a min..
Will restart when done..
Please wait.."

And then it restarted. I cannot get the password box to pop up. Help please! Is there any way to force the password box to come up? I don't want to do a factory reset and lose everything, but if I can't even get the box to come up, I don't know what to do.

I called customer service and they are sending me a replacement Kindle, but I would MUCH rather NOT lose all of my bookmarks and Collections that I had set up for my non-Kindle books, because I don't think those will transfer over....just my Amazon books will.

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can give!
cloudyvisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyvisions View Post
I'm over at Kindleboards asking this too, but since the hacks and jailbreak are coming from here, I wanted to post over here and get your opinions and advice too.

Since the jailbreak was ready, I wanted to update to 3.1. I first uninstalled the font hack and screen saver hacks, then uninstalled the older jailbreak. I installed the new 3.1, restarted my kindle, and then installed the new jail break and then the screensaver hack, which showed up fine, and the font hack, which loaded fine too.

But then I went to change the fonts, and when it came back to the screensaver after restarting, I moved the on switch and the box to enter my password never came up. I tried again, nothing worked. So, I held down the on switch to restart my kindle, and it restarted, but I still cannot get the password box to come up. I tried connecting my Kindle to my laptop to see if that would trigger the password box to come up, and it was connected since it was charging, but nothing else happened.

So, I tried to restart my Kindle again and this came up in that typewriter type of font:

"Collecting information. May take a min..
Will restart when done..
Please wait.."

And then it restarted. I cannot get the password box to pop up. Help please! Is there any way to force the password box to come up? I don't want to do a factory reset and lose everything, but if I can't even get the box to come up, I don't know what to do.

I called customer service and they are sending me a replacement Kindle, but I would MUCH rather NOT lose all of my bookmarks and Collections that I had set up for my non-Kindle books, because I don't think those will transfer over....just my Amazon books will.

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can give!
Password box? Are you talking about SSH? You need usbNetwork installed to have SSH. If you're talking about the progress bar and it's stuck at the "Please wait..." screen, then you may have bricked the kindle.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast

I'm talking about the password that you can setup in the settings so that when you slide the power button on, it comes up asking for a password before it turns on. That won't come up at all.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyvisions View Post
I'm talking about the password that you can setup in the settings so that when you slide the power button on, it comes up asking for a password before it turns on. That won't come up at all.
But does the kindle work? Is it showing a blank screen?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast

It is showing the screensaver. The power light comes on but nothing happens on the screen.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
It seems that the Kindle was broken deliberately by the user. It is unfair that Amazon have to suffer because of this.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast

This was not deliberate, I can tell you that, and I'm not the only one here using the hacks. It worked fine for a while, so I don't understand what caused this, is all.

Also, my PC does pick up on the Kindle being connected via USB, but won't show any of the files or folders.

Last edited by cloudyvisions; 02-24-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #8
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
@ Cloudyvisions

You said you installed the fonts hack therefore I assume that you have also change the standard fonts out, yes ?

If so, then try to replace the new fonts with the old ones and then reset the Kindle.

Good luck.

And in my opinion it's Amazon's politics that pushes people to hack their device. I'll be sure to buy my next ereader from a more openminded company cause this is just silly in my opinion. Most of these hacks only unlocks very basic, simple functions of the device.
Shame on you Amazon.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-24-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Password box? Are you talking about SSH? You need usbNetwork installed to have SSH. If you're talking about the progress bar and it's stuck at the "Please wait..." screen, then you may have bricked the kindle.
As cloudyvisions indicates, you can set a password on your kindle so that when you power it back on (momentarily slide the switch to ON), a small prompt box appears overlaying the screensaver, where you can enter a password. This can prevent unwanted users from using your kindle and potentially purchasing books with one-click.

CLOUDY VISIONS - the box says "move the 5-way down if you forget your password" Have you tried that?

But it sounds as if a Kindle is being sent but hopefully you can fix it before that happens.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast

@ Kenneth_irl, even when I connect my kindle to my laptop using USB, it will charge it, but it won't connect to where I can drag and drop files into folders, so that doesn't work.

@ FF2, the box won't even come up, so that won't work either.

Thank you both for the suggestions though, I really appreciate you guys trying!

At this point, I just wish there was some way I could get access to the documents folder and just copy it to my laptop's hard drive until the replacement gets here and I can just copy everything over.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #11
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Have you tried blind typing your password ? If the box is just sorta invisible it might work.

Can you normally access the storage without entering the password ?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 AM   #12
cloudyvisions
Enthusiast

I have tried that...no success. And whenever I connect my K to my laptop, it asks for the password before connecting and showing the folders. UG. I think I have learned to not use the password option next time.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:56 AM   #13
Kalculusinc
Banned
Kalculusinc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Do you have any online copy of it and try taking a backup of your data first on PC.

[Link removed by Moderating Team]

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-26-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Kalculusinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #14
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
CLOUDY VISIONS - the box says "move the 5-way down if you forget your password" Have you tried that?
I don't understand this ?

but;

It's possible to reset the password, but you'll have to type 'resetmykindle' in the password field and it'll delete all content on the Kindle in the process (factory reset).

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-24-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 AM   #15
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromedevine View Post
It seems that the Kindle was broken deliberately by the user. It is unfair that Amazon have to suffer because of this.
it seems that you are a very unhelpful individual.

the poster want's help with his kindle, not a moral judgment from some do-gooder.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote