Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Is it my SD card or is it my Kobo?

I bought a 2GB SD card and put my books on it through Calibre (ADE didn't have some of the covers so I didn't want to use that). When I put my SD card into my kobo it got as far as the loading page and stopped.

Now, I may have put the books on incorrectly (first time using an sd card) through calibre. I clicked on the book, in calibre, and selected "Save to Disk", I chose my sd card and clicked ok. It created a file folder on the sd card with the authors name on it. I did the same for 8 other books, all were put into seperate file folders organized by the authors name.

When I first noticed that my kobo was stuck on the load page, I reset with a paperclip and it tried to reload again, and got the same result. So I pulled the sd card out and then my kobo said that I removed my sd card and to please wait for the kobo to process. What am I doing wrong?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
You should not need to "save to disc" in Calibre. You can simply choose to send to either the Kobo's main memory or the SD card.

Perhaps the Kobo is getting hung up on the file structure created on the SD card? By using "send to" and choosing the device's SD card, you may have a better outcome.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
You should not need to "save to disc" in Calibre. You can simply choose to send to either the Kobo's main memory or the SD card.

Perhaps the Kobo is getting hung up on the file structure created on the SD card? By using "send to" and choosing the device's SD card, you may have a better outcome.
I forgot to mention that my computer sucks and doesn't have an sd card reader, so I have to use a usb drive and take that to my old computer and transfer to the sd card. What a pain in the ass this has been just to keep from having my books go back into the I'm Reading page after I've finished them.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I think what sabredog was saying is that you can have the (blank to start with?) SD card in your Kobo reader when you connect it to Calibre. Calibre should recognize BOTH the reader and the SD card in it.

I know it works that way for my Sony. And as sabredog suggested, I just choose "send to memory card" when sending my books to the Reader.

Good luck!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Yes, that was my intent. Sorry about the mix up there.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, that was my intent. Sorry about the mix up there.
Not your fault, it's been a long day and I wasn't thinking straight. to both of you for your help!!!
Old 11-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:

My Calibre library is larger than the 4GB internal memory of my Aura H2O. If I were to factory reset my Aura and load my library onto an SD card as described above, would the Kobo also try to load the books into the internal memory? Or can I read books only & directly from the SD card?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
My Calibre library is larger than the 4GB internal memory of my Aura H2O. If I were to factory reset my Aura and load my library onto an SD card as described above, would the Kobo also try to load the books into the internal memory? Or can I read books only & directly from the SD card?
When you put a book on a Kobo device, it is processed and details of the book are added to the internal database on the device. This is used for the library list and other book details when using the device. The books are not moved. When you read a book, it is opened wherever it was when you put it on the device. This includes the SD card.

And a warning: if you put a card in the device with 4GB of books on it, the processing will take a while. Your probably better to add them in smaller batches in case anything goes wrong.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Thanks davidfor.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote