Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 03:57 AM   #61
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
is it too late to join the club?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #62
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Jump right in and welcome.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #63
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Its never too late!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #64
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thank you for your warm welcome!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #65
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Is this where the cool kids sit?
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #66
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A question has come up in the August vote thread about if past choices from the general book club should be allowed.

For regular voting months, I see no need for any rule, as if a choice gets enough support to win then I don't see why it would matter if it was selected for the other book club before, though I'd say members should feel free to mention if it was a previous selection as a reason for others to possibly not vote for it, should they choose to do so.

However, for the Lottery months, where one member chooses the selection, things become hazier. Should they be allowed to choose a work that has been chosen as the general book club's selection since it's a separate club? If not, then should there be a cut-off point, such as it can't have been a general book club selection in the past year or two, or should it have never been a selection?

Since many of us are members of both, I'd lean towards at least not allowing anything chosen by the other book club within the last year for Lottery months, and possibly longer. What say you?

Last edited by sun surfer; 07-26-2011 at 12:57 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #67
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
The question about choosing a work that has been chosen as the general book club's selection is well founded.

I think that one year is an adequate quarantine. I observe that out of the 28 different posters on this thread, 7 joined MR before July 2009, that is 2 years ago (25%).
If you want to be surer of not repeating the choice in front of the same group of members, you can choose a 2 years period. That would leave out only one member.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #68
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Two years sounds like a sufficient buffer period to me. That is eliminate any books actually selected by the other club as the book of the month during the previous two years. Given some of the categories of the other club I can't think we are talking about eliminating many books from consideration.

As far as the other question that came up, or maybe it really didn't? I say stick with the procedure first outlined. A person is selected at random. This person selects one book. There is an essentially an up or down vote on this book to answer only the question is it literary? Yes, the book is selected. No go to plan B.

I am looking forward to A Passage to India. I've never read it, but did read The Jewel in the Crown last year and I am interested in another author's perspective on the same place and period.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do feel that since a book was already read for either book club that it should not be allowed a second time regardless of how long it's been.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #70
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do feel that since a book was already read for either book club that it should not be allowed a second time regardless of how long it's been.
I disagree. Two years is a long enough time. If it were 2 months that would be different.

Although Passage to India is on my TBR list (and my Kindle) I have no desire to read it at this time.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #71
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
It seems two years is looking like the consensus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
As far as the other question that came up, or maybe it really didn't? I say stick with the procedure first outlined. A person is selected at random. This person selects one book. There is an essentially an up or down vote on this book to answer only the question is it literary? Yes, the book is selected. No go to plan B.
Valid point. I just thought of it at that moment, and hesitated to offer it. I too like the idea of whoever wins choosing one book and that's it.

However, if the person has a few choices they like and want everyone else's opinions on which to choose, I don't see the harm in putting them to a poll if that's what the winner wants and if they're all considered literature and confirmed first. It would be a legit vote though, so the winner of the poll would be our monthly selection regardless. I see that as a much better alternative to the winner discussing options in the thread before making a decision (although if the winner wanted to do that, it'd be their prerogative).

I'm open to what everyone thinks about the possibility of a winner deciding to do a winner-selected poll on lottery months. I could go either way on it. I don't see any harm in the option (one person deciding the options for the rest of us to vote on could be fun), but I do see the possibility of the process becoming more confusing, since each option would need confirmed first.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think the only wrinkle I'd like to add is that once a person has been book-picker, s/he is out of the running unless/until everyone has had a crack at it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #73
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

Valid point. I just thought of it at that moment, and hesitated to offer it. I too like the idea of whoever wins choosing one book and that's it.

However, if the person has a few choices they like and want everyone else's opinions on which to choose, I don't see the harm in putting them to a poll if that's what the winner wants and if they're all considered literature and confirmed first. It would be a legit vote though, so the winner of the poll would be our monthly selection regardless. I see that as a much better alternative to the winner discussing options in the thread before making a decision (although if the winner wanted to do that, it'd be their prerogative).

I'm open to what everyone thinks about the possibility of a winner deciding to do a winner-selected poll on lottery months. I could go either way on it. I don't see any harm in the option (one person deciding the options for the rest of us to vote on could be fun), but I do see the possibility of the process becoming more confusing, since each option would need confirmed first.
I can see arguments for giving so much freedom to the kingpin of the month. I am just concerned that it would be dragging things out. Also people would be voting, albeit in separate polls, for two different things: 1) is this literature? 2) Is this the book I want to read? Confusing the issue IMHO. But it's your call as long as it does not become an expectation. If it is ever my month I am choosing the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think the only wrinkle I'd like to add is that once a person has been book-picker, s/he is out of the running unless/until everyone has had a crack at it.
Great idea.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #74
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

I maintain the opinion that this is not necessary. Just consider it in the process of choice by the winner. The winner should be able to use whatever procedure he sees fit, according to the goals. I choose A Passage of India because I think it is worth, because I want to read it, because I want to discuss it, and because I had doubts about other possibilities, that could have been more challenging. Saramago's work is probably more appealing to some, but his language might be repulsive to others, that is why I sent out a feeler. Why should a winner be limited in the means he feels necessary in order to make a choice that is interesting for the other members? Why make it harder for him? Why put limits further than the 3 days as has been set already?

In any case you are the boss, and you choose whatever you like. It is not a big deal. Thank you for the nice way you are running this.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #75
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Of course. But you should trust the laws of probability a bit more. I was chosen one out of 6. That is 16%. To be chosen a second time it would be 1 in 36 (2,6%).
But do not worry, I will not volunteer again.

Tags
book club, literary, literature