Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #61
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Dingo's kidneys. "Greed" for writers to want to be paid royalties for their work? I happen to think it's a misdirected strategy, but calling it greed is just fanning the flames on the other end, and nonsense besides.
Ok... how about:

Protection of Potential Profit

A little more PC... but I am not known for being PC.

I just "calls it as I sees it".
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #62
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I don't want to throw a rock in anybody's pond, but such a feature as computer read text is a part of "Microsoft Reader". Which means it can be used on any laptop... anywhere.

I am pretty sure MS lawyers have gone extently through every law concerning such rights. Writers have no grounds, especially if the have contracted books with MS. It would be interesting to know more about those agreements and if really there are reasons for authors to be concerned.

That said, I hope writers can get more money. It's their creation afterall.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #63
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I don't want to throw a rock in anybody's pond, but such a feature as computer read text is a part of "Microsoft Reader". Which means it can be used on any laptop... anywhere.
You'll also notice that the feature is not available for every book. Some .lit files prohibit it.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #64
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
You'll also notice that the feature is not available for every book. Some .lit files prohibit it.
Well thanks. I did not know that.
All the books I have in that format work with it.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #65
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Dingo's kidneys. "Greed" for writers to want to be paid royalties for their work?
Of course the writers are going to get paid. You have to BUY the book from Amazon in the first place in order to put it on your kindle. This is about the writers guild wanting to limit what a consumer is allowed to do with the book they have already bought, in order to gain leverage in negotiating contracts with the retailers. It's not a copyright issue, it's a contract negotiation tactic.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #66
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Actually here in the US there is a law called American with Disabilities Act which gives quite a few rights to blind people among others, and while its precise legal reach is unclear, it is the basis of the one DMCA exception related to Text to Speech and shifting drm format

But the general issue is that if publishers and the author's guild have to go to technicalities...
As someone who regularly works under American ADA specifications, it is important to note that the ADA is specifically designed for things that all Americans are required by government law to have access to... IOW, public facilities and services. This single loophole allows any organization to ignore ADA regs if its product or service is not mandated to be made available to all people. (They don't even have to fall back on "technicalities," though they might in order to give an excuse to the public for ignoring the regs.)

This means public buses, restaurants, hospitals, etc, must all abide by ADA regs. Workplaces are all supposed to abide by ADA regs for its workers or potential workers (since it is illegal in America to deny someone a job based on a disability). But random privately-sold products do not have to follow ADA regs.

Websites as well... an ADA website must be able to be read by screen readers, and can be navigated by those with limited motor skills. All federal government websites (and most of their contractors) must meet this criteria. But we all know websites (mostly commercial) that cannot make this claim.

Many companies abide by ADA rules, but it is strictly up to them... they are not forced to abide by ADA, they do it because they feel it is the right thing to do (and, of course, makes them look good to the public). Publishers who offer audiobooks of popular literature, therefore, do it only out of a desire to serve the disabled and look better in the public eye... not because they are obligated by law to do so.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #67
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
@Steve Jordan
This is still a slightly different situation. No one is suing to force Amazon to add features that benefit the disabled, they are trying to force them to REMOVE a feature.

It's important to understand that Amazon is not selling anyone an audio version of anything - the user is using a tool to interpret pure text. This would be akin to accusing a music store or a piano company of selling CDs because a someone bought some sheet music and decided to play it at home for themselves.

While this might not fall strictly under ADA territory, the Kindle, with it's TTS engine and ability to display large text, is the perfect tool for those with visual impairment. This is not a fight I would want to have anything to do with.

I don't know about you, but I'll be avoiding anyone on this list for the time being.
http://authorsguild.org/news/member_websites/a.html
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #68
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjschmidt View Post
I don't know about you, but I'll be avoiding anyone on this list for the time being.
http://authorsguild.org/news/member_websites/a.html
Why would you do that? Just because someone is a member of the Author's Guild doesn't mean they agree with the position of the Guild.

Are you going to avoid Jeffrey Carver, too? He's posted on this thread in disagreement with the Guild. He also has most of his novels out as free ebooks. I would rate him as a (very) reader friendly author. Please, do not read his books.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #69
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was waiting for someone to notice the similarities between this current brouhaha and the Sony Betamax case.

Pardon me for not writing more, I am very sick right now.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #70
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
@Steve Jordan
This is still a slightly different situation. No one is suing to force Amazon to add features that benefit the disabled, they are trying to force them to REMOVE a feature.
I was just clarifying the Americans with Disabilities Act, to make it understood that it actually does not apply in this case.

I personally think that if Amazon wants to include this feature on its device (which, when you think about it, isn't much different than similar features in Adobe Reader and other SW), that's their prerogative. It is then up to publishers to decide whether or not they want their literature presented in that way, and not offer it to Amazon in that case.

This will be another instance of the inertia of traditional authors and publishers (and their contracts) fighting a true advance in the market... but I believe it will be accepted, and contracts rewritten to accommodate it, eventually.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #71
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I was waiting for someone to notice the similarities between this current brouhaha and the Sony Betamax case.

Take good care of yourself, that's more important to us for now. You can always quote yourself when you feel better
Old 02-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #72
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Why would you do that? Just because someone is a member of the Author's Guild doesn't mean they agree with the position of the Guild.
The guild doesn't really care about what we think, they are beholden only to their members (and the dues they provide).

If the AG decides to push this forward, then I can't, in good conscience, support them in any form.

We're already losing the right to resell, share, or do most of the things paper books let us do - this is just too far.
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #73
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
The guild doesn't really care about what we think, they are beholden only to their members (and the dues they provide).

If the AG decides to push this forward, then I can't, in good conscience, support them in any form.

We're already losing the right to resell, share, or do most of the things paper books let us do - this is just too far.
I expect that about 99% of all authors are a member of the AG. You do realize that you've decided to stop reading, right?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #74
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:

Are you going to avoid Jeffrey Carver, too? He's posted on this thread in disagreement with the Guild. He also has most of his novels out as free ebooks. I would rate him as a (very) reader friendly author. Please, do not read his books.
If they do not do something about this after lost sales brings this to their attention - then yes they do.

This is how boycotts work. Consider this a vocabulary lesson.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #75
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:

I would say there is far more similarity with the RIAA v. Diamond Multimedia case
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote